Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    each too there own. do as you please, but dont come crying when it all goes wrong

What do you mean by "when it all goes wrong"? Are you assuming that body positivity is only about being over or underweight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    PWHF wrote: »
    I believe people can do what they want with their bodies and life choices. But if you're not happy with your body and life choices it's not the problem of people who have made different life choices....

imagine if I started attacking people on social media who were posting up pics of them enjoying a drink at a party - because I cant...

I don't believe anyone has suggested doing this or spoken approvingly of such behavior. To me, such things would be the antithesis of body positivity. So it seems like a strawman.

IME, accepting yourself despite the imperfections of your body and past eating/exercise choices and NOT feeling shame and self-hatred and out of control, but instead realizing "I can do this" and wanting to do it as a positive thing for yourself was basically tied up with body positivity and what allowed me to make positive changes (in my head I said they were good and worth it whether or not I lost weight) and, indeed, to lose weight.

The idea that most fat people are sitting around attacking people on social media for being thin is perhaps a fun thing for you to think about, but I don't think it's reality. Plus, people who attack others based on envy are more likely to be suffering from self-hatred than to have a real attitude of positivity.

This sums up the absurd notion of privilege. An embodiment of envy.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting historical take on how being overweight was a display of status and 'privilege':

https://www.sermo.com/history-obesity-renaissance-1910/

"The first post in this 3 part series on the history of obesity discussed the view of obesity from the Stone Age to the Renaissance, when fatness or obesity was viewed as beautiful, healthy, and a sign of prosperity. This post discusses a global view of obesity from the renaissance to 1910.

Obesity remained a symbol of beauty worldwide. There were famines during these centuries. The Irish famine is one of the most famous. (A) People died without sufficient food during this and other famines. Prosperity meant having enough money to buy or own food, and to eat well. The wealthy ate in excess, assuring themselves status and “good health.” Throughout the world, those who were leaders or rulers tended to have more fat on their bodies and withstood the famines more easily."
    aokoye wrote: »
    each too there own. do as you please, but dont come crying when it all goes wrong

What do you mean by "when it all goes wrong"? Are you assuming that body positivity is only about being over or underweight.

To me it means accepting people as they are, not discriminating or 'fat shaming' people. What people must understand and accept however is that they are 100% responsible for their life choices and how they treat their bodies. Choosing to be overweight is choosing to be unhealthy and in a lot of cases unhappy. That's not the fault of people who have chosen differently and it's not a 'privilege' either.

That said I know it's not as simple as healthy food is expensive and there's the whole issue of comfort eating as a drug.

In the UK we have state run healthcare so if there was a 'body positive' movement here it would be an issue.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

When what all goes wrong?
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I believe people can do what they want with their bodies and life choices. But if you're not happy with your body and life choices it's not the problem of people who have made different life choices....

imagine if I started attacking people on social media who were posting up pics of them enjoying a drink at a party - because I cant...

I don't believe anyone has suggested doing this or spoken approvingly of such behavior. To me, such things would be the antithesis of body positivity. So it seems like a strawman.

IME, accepting yourself despite the imperfections of your body and past eating/exercise choices and NOT feeling shame and self-hatred and out of control, but instead realizing "I can do this" and wanting to do it as a positive thing for yourself was basically tied up with body positivity and what allowed me to make positive changes (in my head I said they were good and worth it whether or not I lost weight) and, indeed, to lose weight.

The idea that most fat people are sitting around attacking people on social media for being thin is perhaps a fun thing for you to think about, but I don't think it's reality. Plus, people who attack others based on envy are more likely to be suffering from self-hatred than to have a real attitude of positivity.

Think that is meant for @Dolly989

Dolly989 wrote: »
    Me and my friend were messing around in a jacuzzi in our bikinis on vacation and had it up on our stories on instagram. We got so much hate off people saying stuff like "she loves herself" "get some clothes on" ect. Yet the last few months all over social media I've been seeing bigger women posting pictures posing in underwear/bikinis with long captions about body positivity and self love. These women were being praised while I was being teared down just because we are some peoples standard of beauty dosn't mean we don't have insecurites. I have things I don't like about myself but there I was trying to love myself and my body but that wasn't allowed. The people who were giving us hate would be the same type of people who'd post about body positivity.

It was your post.

I am talking about what is actually meant by body positivity to those of us on the thread. It is of course possible that random people on social media could behave in a hypocritical fashion, but I'd call them on it there, if this actually happened, and not use it -- as you did -- as a reason to claim that body positivity is about people feeling unhappy about themselves and resenting others.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I said nothing about privilege.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Here's an interesting historical take on how being overweight was a display of status and 'privilege':

https://www.sermo.com/history-obesity-renaissance-1910/

"The first post in this 3 part series on the history of obesity discussed the view of obesity from the Stone Age to the Renaissance, when fatness or obesity was viewed as beautiful, healthy, and a sign of prosperity. This post discusses a global view of obesity from the renaissance to 1910.

Obesity remained a symbol of beauty worldwide. There were famines during these centuries. The Irish famine is one of the most famous. (A) People died without sufficient food during this and other famines. Prosperity meant having enough money to buy or own food, and to eat well. The wealthy ate in excess, assuring themselves status and “good health.” Throughout the world, those who were leaders or rulers tended to have more fat on their bodies and withstood the famines more easily."

To me it means accepting people as they are, not discriminating or 'fat shaming' people. What people must understand and accept however is that they are 100% responsible for their life choices and how they treat their bodies. Choosing to be overweight is choosing to be unhealthy and in a lot of cases unhappy. That's not the fault of people who have chosen differently and it's not a 'privilege' either.

That said I know it's not as simple as healthy food is expensive and there's the whole issue of comfort eating as a drug.

In the UK we have state run healthcare so if there was a 'body positive' movement here it would be an issue.

If you think there isn't a body positivity "movement" in the UK then I can assure you that you're wrong. Here are some links:
    https://www.berealcampaign.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/bbcbodypositive?lang=en

But then again, you're also falling into the trap of thinking that body positivity is only about weight. It isn't.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I couldn't disagree more. It sounds like you have a very poor understanding of what most, if not many, people mean when they're talking about privilege. Looking at sociology texts on the subject might be one good place to start for you that gets away from "laymen" discussing it (despite the fact that everyone who I know that talks about privilege in the "power and privilege" sort of context is using the academic meaning). Gender studies and ethic studies texts would be other good places to find overviews).

I understand what it means and what it's attempting to produce. What's piteous is that the theory and underlying concept, if realized to it's logical endpoint - results in individualism. So either proponents haven't realized this yet, or more insidiously, using this to gain power.

It is entirely regressive as is all post-modernist thought.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    ftr, an internet connection, and something to receive it, is a privilege

Libraries do provide these. Around here it's common for poorer people to use the library for that purpose.

I'm sure there are places where libraries are less accessible, however (I just think noting that this is one of the great services libraries provide is worthwhile).
  • aokoye
    Options

I understand what it means and what it's attempting to produce. What's piteous is that the theory and underlying concept, if realized to it's logical endpoint - results in individualism. So either proponents haven't realized this yet, or more insidiously, using this to gain power.

it does my heart good to see that there are still a few people left in this day and age with some common sense :)

I couldn't disagree more. It sounds like you have a very poor understanding of what most, if not many, people mean when they're talking about privilege. Looking at sociology texts on the subject might be one good place to start for you that gets away from "laymen" discussing it (despite the fact that everyone who I know that talks about privilege in the "power and privilege" sort of context is using the academic meaning). Gender studies and ethic studies texts would be other good places to find overviews).

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more with you in the idea that "most or not many" people who use the term privilege in social media and in common usage are defining it the same way that it is defined in academic settings. In common use the term is very much being used by one group of people to marginalize, ostracize, and criticize another person or group of people with whom they take issue with. I see it used all the time as an underhanded way of attempting to appear as the injured party while attacking another, boxing them within stereotypes, and attempting to shame them for things that frankly they had no more control over than the group that feels underprivileged.

Throwing around the term "privilege" in the context as it is used commonly today does nothing for increasing understanding, tolerance, or acceptance and instead promotes bigotry, envy, and segregation.

I'm willing to concede that there are people who are using the word privilege in ways that aren't the ones that I alluded to. However, that paired with your above "it does my heart good to see that there are still a few people left in this day and age with some common sense" makes me think that you actually just don't like and/or don't agree with the concept behind the academic usage either.
  • aokoye
    Options

What are your thoughts on equality and the lack of equality in many areas of society (salaries, education, policing, etc)?