Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Positive Movement - For or against?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    Body positive is great. I think its very important to feel comfortable is your own skin. As a person who's body image opinion is terrible, I envy those who feel good about themselves. That being said, body positive is one thing...health positive is another.

Agree - one's mind is strong, why not using it? I would just add "mind positive" as well. Trying to lose weight and being generally negative about one's life does not help at all. Not always easy, but at least I try to start my day with a positive thought.
  • OGingerBeardMan
    OGingerBeardMan Posts: 156 Member
    Well said @RelCanonical
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I think the idea of body positivity is good. Everyone has the right to feel good about themselves.
    However, a lot of people claiming body positivity are only advocating for the overweight/obese people as being able to body positive. The idea that the movement is only for one population to be able to feel good about themselves is not true body positivity. Also, the backlash some of the body positive community gives to its members who try to lose weight is wrong. Wanting to improve your body does not mean you hate your body.
    As long as there are highly vocal people within the movement who advocate against people losing weight when they actually need to lose weight, there will be a lot of people against the movement who may have otherwise supported it.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    You have to love yourself in order to respect and improve yourself. Sometimes change starts with finding what you like about yourself and expanding on that.
    No one has the right to look down on anyone. If all anyone ever feels is negativity from themselves and the world around them they will never be in the right mindset to make meaningful lasting change.
    Embrace yourself, embrace others, it does not mean that you continue bad habits or get stuck, it means you can love yourself while you are getting healthier.
    No one has the right to judge anyone, especially not from an outside appearance. Lift them up, help them along, be a good example, try to involve them in positive activities, yes. I think it is really ugly to not accept someone based on appearance.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    What is the point of this thread on this site? It's already been opened a couple times since I've been browsing the forums here. Someone is fruitlessly going to get offended by some assinine, likely unrelated, nonsense and it's going to be closed again within 2 weeks. This unto itself kind of proves a point that people are too sensitive when it comes to self image to actually have a nuanced discussion. Might as well not waste the time.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    100% against. It's pro-obesity insanity.

Actually, in my experience as a morbidly obese person, it was mostly about giving yourself permission to not feel bad about yourself all the gddam time. And also to be offended at people making rude and personal comments.

And believe me, that freedom was such a relief.

I'm glad your take on it was helpful to you. Everyone should love themselves and take good care of themselves. That's not what the "body positivity" movement is about.

The question was for or against. I'm against.

So you're against the loud minority and the strawmen built around them to judge the entire movement? Well, if you read the thread you'll find out that it's much more nuanced than a simple for or against choice.

Not a strawman. A movement intended for amputees and burn victims has been hijacked by pro-obesity people.

It's not okay to be fat. It is not nuanced.

Really? I find a nuance simply because I don't know what you mean by it isn't okay. Do you mean someone being fat is doing an injustice to you? Is it not okay in that sense?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    100% against. It's pro-obesity insanity.

Actually, in my experience as a morbidly obese person, it was mostly about giving yourself permission to not feel bad about yourself all the gddam time. And also to be offended at people making rude and personal comments.

And believe me, that freedom was such a relief.

I'm glad your take on it was helpful to you. Everyone should love themselves and take good care of themselves. That's not what the "body positivity" movement is about.

The question was for or against. I'm against.

So you're against the loud minority and the strawmen built around them to judge the entire movement? Well, if you read the thread you'll find out that it's much more nuanced than a simple for or against choice.

Not a strawman. A movement intended for amputees and burn victims has been hijacked by pro-obesity people.

No, it is not pro obesity. If you'd read the thread you'd know that. Lots of people who benefit from the idea are not obese. Others are or were, and found it helpful in losing weight or getting healthier even when they were still struggling with weight loss.
    It's not okay to be fat. It is not nuanced.

As amusedmonkey said, okay in what sense?