Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited July 2019
    question on the protein fluff - do you have to have a food processor to make it? if not, what do you use? i do not have a food processor and am not getting great results using stand mixer or ninja/bullet kind of blender, but i don't want to have to buy yet another kitchen appliance. are there alternatives? or do i need ot just bite the bullet and get one?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I recently bought xanthum gum for protein fluff but I think my protein powder is really letting the taste down. I’ve read casein powders are best for it but I’m a noob when it comes to this topic. Any recommendations for a protein powder for fluff that doesn’t taste like licking an aluminum can full of aspartame? 🙄

Use whatever you would want to drink any other time. If you are not sure all the manufacturers offer sample packs. Try that before committing to a tub. I like
    On whey gold standard
    Canadaprotein
    Myprotein
    The protein Co.

Quest works great with no gum

And @hickchic67 I can make it work in the blender and a bullet is way too small.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    hickchic67 wrote: »
    question on the protein fluff - do you have to have a food processor to make it? if not, what do you use? i do not have a food processor and am not getting great results using stand mixer or ninja/bullet kind of blender, but i don't want to have to buy yet another kitchen appliance. are there alternatives? or do i need ot just bite the bullet and get one?

I use a blender, but sometimes it is difficult to get a good crush on the ice. The blender sometimes struggles to get a good mix (vortex) going once everything is in the blender. I have not yet figured out the optimum procedure. No matter, though - it mixes well enough to provide that late night protein bump.
  • nowine4me
    I meant to say that I CANT make it work in the bender. I use food processor
  • HazzaMac
    HazzaMac Posts: 6 Member
    Ah, it looks like I have found my people :)

Anyone have ideas for alternatives to oil or broth for roasting vegetables? Some veg can go without, but my favourite (broccoli) gets too dry without a little grease... and oil calories add up fast!
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited July 2019
    HazzaMac wrote: »

Anyone have ideas for alternatives to oil or broth for roasting vegetables? Some veg can go without, but my favourite (broccoli) gets too dry without a little grease... and oil calories add up fast!

Welcome!! (:
    How are you roasting your vegetables?
    In the oven or over the stove?

Are you using fresh produce, or frozen?

I am no culinary genius (in fact, the exact opposite) but from my experiments with food science, I have not noticed vegetables getting too dry for my personal taste.
    I usually use frozen vegetables (broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, squash, brussel sprouts, to specify a few), line a baking sheet with foil, lightly spray the sheet with coconut oil or avocado oil spray, then bake at about 400 or 425°F in the oven for no more than 30 minutes. (I like vegetables with a bit of a "crunch", and lightly charred.)

My stove top method is simple as well:
    On medium high heat, on a lightly sprayed pan, and covered with a lid, roast the frozen vegetables for no more than ten minutes, or until they reach your desired level of charring. Sometimes I'll add a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar or Liquid Amino acids near the end of the cooking process.

I am sorry I am not more helpful. I am confident there are plenty of Folks here who will be happy to offer their very valuable expertise (: (They've done so for me countless times!!)

*Edited for correction of typos.
  • HazzaMac
    HazzaMac Posts: 6 Member
    geiznekcm wrote: »

Welcome!! (:
    How are you roasting your vegetables?
    In the oven or over the stove?

Are you using fresh produce, or frozen?

Always in the oven on parchment, I usually use a Tbsp of olive oil and a Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar and some herbs, for each 1/4 kg of fresh veg. Lately eating closer to a 1/2 kg - asparagus, broccoli & red cabbage tonight, yummy!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member

Recently I have used spray olive oil or spray avocado oil. The can says 1/4 second spray .25grams...I find use a minimal amount of oil this way. I spread my veggies on a cookie sheet and spray lightly probably 2 seconds -4 seconds, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Voila! I have a vegetable chopper I can not live without so my vegetables are all cut uniformly and roast evenly. My new favorite, fennel bulb, radishes, red onion, turnips/parsnips/rutabagas ( always messing up which one is which) and on a separate tray a green veggie, asparagus/ green beans ( these last great roasted) broccoli. The free seem to burn faster so I put in 10 minutes later.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Let's wake this up with burgers for dinner. If I told you all this you see here, well this and another 2/3 of that salad is around 500cal? Well it is. And no, this isn't a meatless abomination nor is this a slider but a proper burger.

9jmmpt9rp0fr.jpg

Amazing. Would you mind posting the ingredients?
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I wish I could find those Marina Del Ray tuna burgers near where I live- sigh-
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Pretty much. I am not a vegetarian but I do fill up on nonstarchy vegetables. Carbs are limited for me because I'm prediabetic, and you can only eat so much meat or eggs before the calories get too high, so the I fill the hole with veggies. Broccoli, green beans, giant salad, pan seared squash, mushrooms, whatever I can afford that fits into that category.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I wish I could find those near where I live- sigh-

I asked them for my area - (Western Canada) and they insist they are found in Superstore/Safeway and Sobeys...I'm still looking for them in the stores I frequent.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I asked them for my area - (Western Canada) and they insist they are found in Superstore/Safeway and Sobeys...I'm still looking for them in the stores I frequent.

You guys dont have Metro? Also never seen these in RCSS around here. Shrimp yes, burgers nope.
    Check your local RCSS website for the west. They should tell you who has stock.

This is the first time I've experienced a food that Canadians have access to that I, in the US, don't! :/ It's usually the other way around, so good on y'all. Those burgers really, really look good...
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

You guys dont have Metro? Also never seen these in RCSS around here. Shrimp yes, burgers nope.
    Check your local RCSS website for the west. They should tell you who has stock.

No Metro - RCSS's website doesn't show it's carried either. They most likely are in a few Safeway or Sobey locations. Depending on the location, they seem to have varied selection of items.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    i need to join this.
  • I like volume eating too. I love big salads! I'll cook a whole zucchini, 1/2 package of mushrooms, tomato or whatever else I have on hand in some soup mix for flavor and add some protein. I posted a picture of my big dinner bowl tonight on my wall. Protein fluff is great for dessert or snack.

Please tell me what protein fluff is? That sounds interesting.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    I’ve never heard of protein fluff before either!
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Ahhhhhhhhhh the never used search function brought up 25 pages of fluss in this thread alone lol

Hahahah, I saw this reply coming a mile away.

• nowine4me
    gknmi2ekhgqg.jpeg
    Fluff
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Squash time! I just had 400g of spaghetti squash cooked for 109 calories. Holy crap it was good and I’ll be full forever. Anyone else loving the fall veggies?