WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Thank you Barbie, for doing all that you do.💖. I can't remember how long I have been posting. Long time! Not too long after husband had lived transplant, and that was in 2014. I consider you ladies all family.👍
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    The good news is that our dance gals PERFORMED at the Slam'n Salmon derby down at the port of Brookings/Harbor. We danced an hour, took a 10 minute break, then danced another 20 minutes, all on a wobbly, trailer mounted plywood stage. It was hot but fun. Even got a few kids and gals up front to dance with us. Now THAT made me feel good! Note to self... ;)

Well done!

LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I lost my husband last year to ALS. I had stopped working a few years prior when it was apparent that he needed 24 hour care. I had no training in caregiving but rather learned "on the job".

After Michael died, I plumetted into severe anxiety and depression. He was the love of my life, my soul mate, my person. My emotional overeating skyrocketed and the weight piled on. I got to 218.6.

I somehow lost 10 pounds by June of this year, when I joined mfp. I've lost another 20 since June. Within the last month, I've had normal range bloodwork results and great visits with both my endocrinologist and GP.

Last week, I gained 6 pounds due to medication changes. I ate over calories due to stressing about it. Yesterday, I refocused and got my head straight. September is a new month and a new chance.

Today, I will focus on mindful eating. I will stay in a calorie deficit. I am worth it. 💙

{{Hugs}}

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Amber prayers
  • Machka9
    Talked to friend today about setting up wills and trusts. She gave suggestions about home in trust, and I like her idea of taking pictures of the heirlooms to put in how we want personal property distributed and then give history on the back. The later idea is now on the list but admit it will take awhile to get to that one. Her suggestion for our home was look at our property tax bill. Unfortunately it showed me proof the other law firm did not do their job to get this done and I did not do my part to double check that is was done.

Without giving too much personal info away because this is a open site. If any of you have gone through this process and found ways to make it easier I am open to suggestions. If so speak in generalities and not specifics. Thanks.

Personally, if I were going to do this, I'd create a Word document with a photo inserted and a typed description of item and the history etc.

Also Google 'Tips for Creating a Will' and skim through some of the sites that come up to create your own list of what's important to you.

Ours was fairly straightforward because we don't have much, and I doubt anyone would be happy if I bequeathed them the china or my collection of teddy bear, bicycle or cat ornaments. I figure all that stuff will end up in OP shops after I'm gone. That was one thing I discovered as I looked round the house to see if there was anything someone else would actually want ... and the answer was "probably not". It means something to me ... but I doubt it would mean anything to anyone else.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Aside from exercise, this month will include ...

-- work full time

-- attending uni part time, working toward my Master's degree

-- doing my last 2 assignments for my current course

-- doing several things for my cycling club, of which I'm president now ... I've got a conference call on Wed plus routes to check

-- attending a whole pile of different physio appointments and other medical appointments. I really need to make a dentist appointment!!! There is not a single week without a medical appointment of some sort.

-- and continuing to organise stuff

I should also add ...

-- caring for my husband. For those who may not know, he suffered a severe traumatic brain injury as the result of a fall at work in March 2018. He was in coma for 2.5 weeks, post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks, and in hospital for 102 days. He has made a "remarkable" recovery given the severity of the injury but it is a permanent injury - he will never fully recover. Then in March 2019, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure as a result of the brain injury and was diagnosed with post-traumatic generalise epilepsy. He's on medication for that which should help, but the medication itself is a bit of a challenge. He continues to see doctors at least once a month, and we have physiotherapy pilates once a week.

-- trying to get in as much exercise as I can.

We were long, long, long distance cyclists. Our club (mentioned above) is the local branch of Audax Australia. Two weeks before his accident, my husband and I cycled one of the events we were to host ... we cycled it in advance to ensure the course was all right. It was a 300 km randonnee which we completed in 18 hours and 18 minutes, including all breaks. Unfortunately since the accident, the longest he has managed was 40 km on a day when he was feeling pretty good. Most of our rides are around the 10-20 km range.

I also got into running when I was 49 and completed a 10K event in January 2017 and a half marathon in January 2018. I was hoping to do a full marathon this coming January, but my right hip decided enough was enough and packed it in with 3 km to go during that half marathon. I walked the last 3 km. So I've been attending the physiotherapy pilates classes with my husband to try to rebuild the use of that hip. I think those classes and also my sessions with my podiatrist have helped ... I've managed to run a whole 5 minutes on my treadmill!

Machka in Oz
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Today was weird, but I stayed out of the Chex mix. I had to leave at 8:30 a.m. to drive an hour to do pulpit supply in a small country church, so I ate breakfast about 2 hours earlier than normal. I was starved at lunch time so I had leftovers instead of my usual smoothie. Then Dave and I went to the mall and walked 3 miles. He got Zaxby’s for supper. I had my smoothie, so I was hungry again at 8. Instead of getting in the Chex mix, I had almond butter on Ezekiel toast. I came in 300 calories under goal, so I’ll call that a win.

To answer bananas, I have ingredients to make healthy snacks. I do not have them prepped. I need to get that done. The calories don’t matter as much as the contents. My goal for tomorrow is to get some protein balls made, as well as some healthy cookies. I also want to prep some raw veggies and try my hand at homemade hummus. For tonight, I’m thankful for Ezekiel toast.
  • Machka9
    Talked to friend today about setting up wills and trusts. She gave suggestions about home in trust, and I like her idea of taking pictures of the heirlooms to put in how we want personal property distributed and then give history on the back. The later idea is now on the list but admit it will take awhile to get to that one. Her suggestion for our home was look at our property tax bill. Unfortunately it showed me proof the other law firm did not do their job to get this done and I did not do my part to double check that is was done.

Without giving too much personal info away because this is a open site. If any of you have gone through this process and found ways to make it easier I am open to suggestions. If so speak in generalities and not specifics. Thanks.

Personally, if I were going to do this, I'd create a Word document with a photo inserted and a typed description of item and the history etc.

Also Google 'Tips for Creating a Will' and skim through some of the sites that come up to create your own list of what's important to you.

Ours was fairly straightforward because we don't have much, and I doubt anyone would be happy if I bequeathed them the china or my collection of teddy bear, bicycle or cat ornaments. I figure all that stuff will end up in OP shops after I'm gone. That was one thing I discovered as I looked round the house to see if there was anything someone else would actually want ... and the answer was "probably not". It means something to me ... but I doubt it would mean anything to anyone else.

M in Oz

Also, one of the ways to simplify this process is ... if there's something a family member really likes and wants you could give it to them now. Then you don't have to worry about including it in the will. Although, if it is something that several family members want, you might want to note down somewhere who you gave it to and why to reduce conflict.
  • Machka9
    Aside from exercise, this month will include ...

-- work full time

-- attending uni part time, working toward my Master's degree

-- doing my last 2 assignments for my current course

-- doing several things for my cycling club, of which I'm president now ... I've got a conference call on Wed plus routes to check

-- attending a whole pile of different physio appointments and other medical appointments. I really need to make a dentist appointment!!! There is not a single week without a medical appointment of some sort.

-- and continuing to organise stuff

I should also add ...

-- caring for my husband. For those who may not know, he suffered a severe traumatic brain injury as the result of a fall at work in March 2018. He was in coma for 2.5 weeks, post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks, and in hospital for 102 days. He has made a "remarkable" recovery given the severity of the injury but it is a permanent injury - he will never fully recover. Then in March 2019, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure as a result of the brain injury and was diagnosed with post-traumatic generalise epilepsy. He's on medication for that which should help, but the medication itself is a bit of a challenge. He continues to see doctors at least once a month, and we have physiotherapy pilates once a week.

-- trying to get in as much exercise as I can.

We were long, long, long distance cyclists. Our club (mentioned above) is the local branch of Audax Australia. Two weeks before his accident, my husband and I cycled one of the events we were to host ... we cycled it in advance to ensure the course was all right. It was a 300 km randonnee which we completed in 18 hours and 18 minutes, including all breaks. Unfortunately since the accident, the longest he has managed was 40 km on a day when he was feeling pretty good. Most of our rides are around the 10-20 km range.

I also got into running when I was 49 and completed a 10K event in January 2017 and a half marathon in January 2018. I was hoping to do a full marathon this coming January, but my right hip decided enough was enough and packed it in with 3 km to go during that half marathon. I walked the last 3 km. So I've been attending the physiotherapy pilates classes with my husband to try to rebuild the use of that hip. I think those classes and also my sessions with my podiatrist have helped ... I've managed to run a whole 5 minutes on my treadmill!

Machka in Oz

One more thing ... like some of the other women here, I am not a natural carer. I didn't even want children and wasn't disappointed when I was informed, years later, that I couldn't have had them anyway.

I've had to learn all about brain injury, and learn to be a carer, and learn patience, and even with my best efforts, there are times when I lose the plot. It's not easy.

However, my Master's degree is in IT and I've casually considered that if I do decide to pursue a PhD, I might try to do it in some combination of brain injury and IT ... because I've learned so much about brain injury in the last 18 months!! :p But that would be down the road a way ... I need to finish my Master's first and then take an education break.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    cmsavells wrote: »
    @Machka9 I know you are ready for winter to be over. I’m the exact opposite; please let summer end so we can move to fall and winter. I don’t handle the heat anymore. Louisville, KY is supposed to see the 90s the next couple of days.

Connie in KY

Today is the second day of spring!! :):)

We won't likely see 90F (32C) more than about half a dozen times when summer comes, and not likely on consecutive days. We occasionally get that high for about 2 hours on a Tuesday afternoon ... then it drops like a rock to a chilly 17C by the time I get out of work and can enjoy it. About 2 pm, I'm thinking ... "Yes, we'll go to the beach this evening and walk in the water." By 5 pm, I'm thinking ... "Nope!" And then the next 3 days it struggles to reach 15C ... and on Saturday, when I can be outside all day, it pours rain.

That's summer down here ... but it's better than winter!

Meanwhile, thinking about spring cleaning ... some tips to spring clean your computer!

https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/news/time-freshen-your-online-life

Machka in Oz
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited September 2019
    Lynda so sorry for your loss. <3

I am lucky in that when my husband passed I had my daughter still living at home so I wasn't completely on my own, but can understand the anxiety and depression and the comfort eating! I admire you for getting back on track, something I haven't managed to do successfully yet, but I'm working on it.

Heard on the news about "Dorian" hope no one here is in its path.

Love to all
    Viv UK <3
  • Machka9
    If any of you are on Strava, they're having a challenge in September ... I'm going to give it a go. :) It starts tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/challenges/the-escape-plan
    Get moving 5 days a week for 4 consecutive weeks - all activity types count
    (Minimum of 15 minutes of elapsed time per activity)

Machka in Oz

We walked between pilates and my work ... and took 12 minutes to do it. Just short.

So after work, we went for a walk outside ... our first walk outside in ages!! It was twilight and almost completely dark when we got home. Just a short walk - only 17 minutes - but enough for the challenge! :) I've got 1 of the 5 days I need this week. :)

eqqpiyclyzbl.png

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Fm. Aug pg 65-66
    Vickie as you were in August, so have I been. Eating out of control, not sure why.
    Michele "urban rebounder cardio dvd"? Getting some strange mental pics... ;)
    Katla disappointed no quick surgical fix for your DH's pain. PT can work miracles, it's just so very hard.
    Kim, what you said to Katla about mint. Reading my mind. Better to puff some diatomaceous earth into whatever cracks/spaces around house's foundation.
    Machka Thank you for sharing the "In the Hospital" video. Your honesty will be a big help to those facing similar tragedy. Your caring shines through. Bravissima.
    KJ that egg carton space ship is AMAZING!

fm Sept
    Janet you are more than OK You are inspiring!
    Viv I really had to look carefully to find Leah hiding in that tree stump
    Lisa you bloom beautifully!
    Karen in VA and Lanette, after failed gloop project, have scrubbed, washed, wirebrushed, lightly sanded, blown off and masked deck. Painting Monday. Have I told you lately how much I loathe painting?
    Lynda and Karen in VA :hugs: Lost Papa to ALS. Dreadful disease and so hard on the spouse/caregiver.
    Penny glad to see you posting again!
    Debby without power for a month? Have to congratulate you on your resourcefulness!
    pip thank you so much for your quick rundown, I'd had no idea. What a survivor you are!
    Ginny :hugs: for the sad birthday, Brava for paperwork, grilling and taking that long walk.
    Amber :hugs: for you and your family in these scary times. :love: JR's Batman helmet.
    Kay what do you put in your protein balls?
    Machka "... you could give it to them now" Wise words. Gifts from warm hands best.
    Belated Welcomes to Kate Pink Shamrock, Diana DJMKT, LyndaBSS, Anne in Florida, Theresa, Marianne in WVa and Rhonda south of Portland.

Brief introduction, I'm another Barbara, Ageing (69) Hippie, Mother of Dogs (now sadly only one).
    Blessed by husband Joe (tho' I'll complain from time to time, he is after all a BOY ;) ) and 4 year old Tumble (Skye Terrier).
    Started MFP in 2008 at 165!. Got down to 140, then fell off wagon for years. Came back, got back down to the 140-145 range, aiming for 109.
    Worked 30 years for an international shipping and logistics company (if you bought it at Wal~Mart or Home Depot it may have come in on one of our ships) doing pricing/regulatory work then finally pc and network support since I was the only one stubborn enough to get the computers to do what I wanted them to do.
    Born in SF, lived in the East Bay, then Ukiah, then back to the East Bay for 45 years. Job moved us to Boise Idaho in '97.
    Retired in '16, moved to 15 vertical acres and a doublewide on the Southern Oregon Coast in '18. Spoiled now, hard to imagine living anywhere with near neighbors.

CI WAY over CO, could that be why I've ballooned back up to 149? Naaaaahhhhh :NOWAY:

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for September: grit
    Steps-3818 vits-1 log-1 CICO-0 Tumble-1 mfp-1 AF-1

never realized it til I typed it, that was the first time
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2019
    Barbara So glad you are posting regularly again. What is a vertical acre? does it have to do with vertical farming? Or something having to do with coastline jargon? Or none of the above? B)

Karen in Virginia