For the love of Produce...

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Hard to say without actually tasting it. I love it and have been thinking about making it. My dad's wife is Korean and makes it and claims it's hard to make it right and that she will teach me, but I assume she's being particular as there are lots of recipes online.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Heh, I’m under no illusions that what I’ve made is ‘authentic kimchi’ at least to someone like your dad’s wife, who has generations of instinct behind her, which I respect totally.

I’m kind of hoping that someone can give me a comparator for the sour vinegary pickle like depth that I think I’m looking for. Like mouth drawing like sucking a lemon, or like a really strong pickled onion, or like the gentle tang of a quick red onion or cucumber pickle? 🤷‍♀️

I’m basically clueless as to what the end result *should* be, but I guess if it tastes good to me I’ll go with that in the absence of someone being able to taste it or offer me further wisdom.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    I buy commercial kimchi at the asian supermarket, and it is typically a little less acidic than sauerkraut. Similar levelt to a gherkin.
  • acpgee
    On the basis of a recommendation from the "Weird things you do with food" thread, I just tried eating a kiwi with the skin. Bleh.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    acpgee wrote: »
    I buy commercial kimchi at the asian supermarket, and it is typically a little less acidic than sauerkraut. Similar levelt to a gherkin.

Thank you so much! That’s pretty much exactly what I needed to understand. I think it’s going into the fridge at this point 😊😊
  • acpgee
    I don't know if this is a useful reference for acidity, but I made a dish tonight that called for Chinese pickled mustard greens. It struck me that the level of acidity as well as firmness was similar to kimchi. I don't have any commercial kimchi at home at the moment to compare directly, so working from memory.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    Thank you, but the first time I’d even heard of Chinese pickled mustard greens was on this board very recently when you were visiting your mother in Canada! My kimchi is in the fridge. It’s pleasanty acidic and the veg is tender crisp, which is what I imagine it should be? Good sharp spicy flavour.

I plan on having a little with dinner tomorrow, probably with a quarter hisbi cabbage, roasted in the oven, maybe with a TVP burger that I made and froze a few weeks ago. I’m a little scared to eat the kimchi because I’ve never fermented food before, but I’m trusting I’ve done it the right way and it’s safe and won’t make me ill!
  • acpgee
    I wouldn't worry about it. I grew up on my mom's Szechuan fermented cabbage which is a near relation to kimchi. It was just dumped in a jar of salted water with some chilli's and szechuan peppercorns and left to stand on the countertop. I doubt my mom disinfected anything.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    That’s reassuring, thank you 😊

If you never see me post again, though, you’ll know what happened to me...😂😂
  • acpgee
    This looks similar to what I remember my mom doing. No sterilization of vessels. Just kept adding new vegetables to the jar as pickles got removed and eaten.

https://lightorangebean.com/sichuan-style-fermented-vegetables/
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    edited September 2019
    Thank for that link, I’ve just quickly scan read it and pinned it to mr Kimchi & Fermented foods Pinterest board to go back and poke around her site, later 😊

I can see fermented veg of all sorts becoming my new mini obsession! Right after I’ve made a tonne of foraged elderberries into jelly! 😂
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    s16qjhgkcavd.jpeg

I went to Tesco’s this morning rather than Sainsbury’s, as I do a couple of times a year to grab a supply of a few things Sainsbury’s don’t stock and came across these in the picture above. Is anyone familiar with them? I’d neither seen nor heard of them before.
    Seems like a gooseberry hybrid of some sort to eliminate the hairy skin!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    i71fnzj47mkk.jpeg
    iboba04bc1vr.jpeg

Also a beautiful box of figs for just £3!! Baked figs and goats cheese and a huge salad with the stunning tomatoes and other bits and pieces I bought on my dinner menu now!

Might have to have some samphire as a starter because I’m not sure it’ll go with the figs too well! 😂
  • acpgee
    I would pair samphire with fish or lamb. In holland samphire grows on the island of Tessel where the lambs also graze on salt mashes. I love eating it raw. Always disappointed at restaurants in the UK which blanch all the flavour out of it.

Where did you find the figs? I have both a Sainsbury and a Tesco on the way home from the gym, so should stop to have a look. Unfortunately both of the nearest branches are tiny.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Produce friends, what kind of vegetables do you like to mix with pasta? I want to do a butter/parmesan pasta mix with vegetables for lunch this week. Thinking of starting with broccoli florets for ease, but want to change it up because I have that a lot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    edited September 2019
    s16qjhgkcavd.jpeg

I went to Tesco’s this morning rather than Sainsbury’s, as I do a couple of times a year to grab a supply of a few things Sainsbury’s don’t stock and came across these in the picture above. Is anyone familiar with them? I’d neither seen nor heard of them before.
    Seems like a gooseberry hybrid of some sort to eliminate the hairy skin!

Hardy kiwi (Actinidia arguta) produces a small, smooth, berry-like fruit . . . that looks just like the ones in your photo. ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidia_arguta
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    edited September 2019
    acpgee wrote: »
    I would pair samphire with fish or lamb. In holland samphire grows on the island of Tessel where the lambs also graze on salt mashes. I love eating it raw. Always disappointed at restaurants in the UK which blanch all the flavour out of it.

Where did you find the figs? I have both a Sainsbury and a Tesco on the way home from the gym, so should stop to have a look. Unfortunately both of the nearest branches are tiny.

Figs from Tesco 😊! It’s an enormous branch though, which is why I rarely go...I spend too much money😂.

It’s an old photographic film factory, company called Kosmos...from the Art Deco period. xlj1ysd59t0i.jpeg

For the Samphire, I’ll just blanch it for 30 seconds and eat in the old fashioned style asparagus used to be eaten, from the fingers, with a generous squeeze of lemon and lots of cracked black pepper - and ideally swimming in butter, but I’ll skip the butter for calories sake!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Produce friends, what kind of vegetables do you like to mix with pasta? I want to do a butter/parmesan pasta mix with vegetables for lunch this week. Thinking of starting with broccoli florets for ease, but want to change it up because I have that a lot.

@RelCanonical Hi!

Oooh butter Parm- how about mushrooms and roasted Brussels sprouts?
    I love baby carrots with anything and butter! And some yellow peppers?

Autumn is imminent- a nice end of season pasta primavera - or I guess it would be called pasta l’autunno ☺️ - maybe some sliced squash, butter and onions!

Saw some awesome recipes here- https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.self.com/gallery/pasta-recipes-with-vegetables/amp

The one with orecchiette, greens, yam and pumpkin seeds look worth a try!

🥬
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Do you own a zoodler? :)
    If you do zoodle any veggie you like into the real pasta without cooking. I would recommend kohlrabi for what you are planning.

That's a great idea! I do have a zoodler, and have partaken in zoodles before. I think I've seen kohirabi in my grocery store, I'm going tonight so I'll take a look.