Atkins? Anyone?? Am I the only one doing this?I feel alone.

Options

Replies

• idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options

I will be soooo happy the day that junk food, soda and processed foods are taxed just like alcohol and tobacco products.

Ugh are you kidding me? That's exactly what we need to do is tax people on more things. How about we educate people on nutrition and let them make their own decisions about what to eat. If I want to eat processed foods I should be able too, we do live in America.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I will be soooo happy the day that junk food, soda and processed foods are taxed just like alcohol and tobacco products.

Ugh are you kidding me? That's exactly what we need to do is tax people on more things. How about we educate people on nutrition and let them make their own decisions about what to eat. If I want to eat processed foods I should be able too, we do live in America.

Nope, I am not kidding at all. Obviously Americans are showing that they are not smart enough to make good choices. So tax the fast food, processed, frozen foods, chips and soda.

New York is already starting to do it. It is just a matter of time before more states fall in line with it.

The way I look at it is...................People pay more for alcohol and cigarettes, so why not pay more for the junk food.
  • Grokette
    Options

You would still be able to eat the processed foods, your just going to pay more for it.
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options

YOU live in AMERICA.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Instead of raising taxes, we could just ditch the corn subsidies so HFCS and therefore junk food would cost more (the free market does not rule in agriculture). I could do without more taxes, but I sure as heck don't understand why we're paying farmers to make crap food that's making everyone unhealthy, and then paying for their medical bills too.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Instead of raising taxes, we could just ditch the corn subsidies so HFCS and therefore junk food would cost more (the free market does not rule in agriculture). I could do without more taxes, but I sure as heck don't understand why we're paying farmers to make crap food that's making everyone unhealthy, and then paying for their medical bills too.

I could not agree with you more.
  • Grokette
    Options

If you are not eating processed and convenience foods then the tax obviously would not apply to you (general you)..............

Something has to be done. I see everyday that people obviously think they are doing the right thing and they are destroying their health to be taken care of my you and me and the rest of us.
  • Allbizniss
    Allbizniss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for about 8 months "religiously" about 6 years ago and lost 50 lbs (went from 292 to 242 lbs). I have followed a modified Atkins after that and lost another 15 lbs.

It definitely works! For me it was just a little hard to stay on.

Also it was kind of weird. I tried it a few times over the last year and the results were really different. I didn't lose weight at all and actually gained at some times.

That being said I have found that my body does not respond well to a lot of carbs anyhow, so I generally have to keep them pretty low and when I really go low I lose more weight.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

If you are not eating processed and convenience foods then the tax obviously would not apply to you (general you)..............

Something has to be done. I see everyday that people obviously think they are doing the right thing and they are destroying their health to be taken care of my you and me and the rest of us.

Unfortunately, people have shown that they aren't able to police themselves. We end up paying for their bad choices with increased medical insurance premiums. I think it's a great idea!
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options

Unfortunately, people have shown that they aren't able to police themselves. We end up paying for their bad choices with increased medical insurance premiums. I think it's a great idea!

Price of freedom of choice. I personally do not mind the obesity epidemic if the alternative is needing state approval to have an ice cream with the kids.
  • martinah4
    Options

Price of freedom of choice. I personally do not mind the obesity epidemic if the alternative is needing state approval to have an ice cream with the kids.

There was something in the news a few months ago...basicly, the city of San Francisco has decided to ban McDonalds from selling Happy Meals. If you can find any info and read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! :)
  • idwoof
    idwoof Posts: 76
    Options
    And how is that a good thing? We can't choose to eat a happy meal now? And we punish McDonalds for Americans being overweight?
    I understand the whole insurance premium problem with it, but that needs to be figured out separately. The last thing we need to do is take away our freedoms.
  • martinah4
    Options
    And how is that a good thing? We can't choose to eat a happy meal now? And we punish McDonalds for Americans being overweight?
    I understand the whole insurance premium problem with it, but that needs to be figured out separately. The last thing we need to do is take away our freedoms.

I didn't say it was a good thing or a bad thing. I wanted to hear peoples thoughts as it was relevant and plays into the earlier comment in this thread.
    You can't black & white this topic. There's the whole freedom issue, BUT....and the who's policing who business... Oh, well, probably a topic for a different forum. ;^D

**But before I go, I should mention, children don't drive themselves to McDonalds, as well as they don't meal plan and go grocery shopping. Honestly, my kids only like the toys in the Happy Meal. So, if the parents aren't taking the reins with their children's health and diet, is it the governments job to police the parents? Before you answer, consider that there's absolutely no statistics that prove that an 8 year old needs to stay in a car booster seat, but at 9 years, he magically can sit without one (it's not based on weight). My 9 year old is small for his age, and my 7 year old only weighs 6 lbs less than the 9 year old. Read this: Freakonomics.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Going lower carb has worked well for me. My wife is on a completely different diet and it works well for her -- she is 5 9' and is at 130lbs (she is vegan). I tried her diet for a while, but didn't lose weight at all. I then tried Paleo, lost weight and have retained lean muscle mass. I seem to do very well with my workouts also (it was an adjustment at first).

I used to do a more "balanced" approach when I was younger, but now my body doesn't seem to handle the carbs as well.

Everyone is different.
  • vsandsbury01
    Options
    I am really interested in ATKINS! I have been looking for a support group!!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I am really interested in ATKINS! I have been looking for a support group!!

There is a thread for Atkins support, called (strangely enough) Atkins Support Thread. You can do a search for it, and we're glad to have you! See you there :)
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins-type diets for about 10 years. Anyone doing something similar please feel free to add me as a friend! I really like just having low-carb friends on here so I don't have to read or listen to people spread so much misinformation about low carb diets.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options

There was something in the news a few months ago...basicly, the city of San Francisco has decided to ban McDonalds from selling Happy Meals. If you can find any info and read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! :)

I think history is full of examples that prohibition and or trying to tax things out of existence has little to no impact and simply creates unregulated markets to fill the consumer demand.

Speak easy's, drug dealers, here in Canada every native reserve sells untaxed illegal cigarettes to non-natives (often with no age proof required). In many cases the result is things becomes easier or even cheaper to get in some cases.

If you tax McDonald's happy means, kraft lunchables will start adding a toy in the package.

I think efforts should be made instead to

1) Promote a real healthy food pyramid instead, that does not recommend we get 1000 calories a day from starch
    2) Put vegetables at the top, along with high fiber fruits
    3) Recognizes some fats are very healthy fat does not "turn into" fat on the body, but is digested as the nutrient that it is
    4) Lumps bread in with all other processed junk food

People are currently convinced by Government and fitness "experts" they need all this grain and that naturally occurring animal fat that we have evolved to eat is evil and they run around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for cheap and easy sources or they have given up altogether trying to lose weight on the food pyramid and decided why bother? Lets have a big mac. The are convinced their health depends on oils and chemicals like splenda that could not even exist without factories and chemical processes to extract and create them.
  • martinah4
    Options

I think history is full of examples that prohibition and or trying to tax things out of existence has little to no impact and simply creates unregulated markets to fill the consumer demand.

Speak easy's, drug dealers, here in Canada every native reserve sells untaxed illegal cigarettes to non-natives (often with no age proof required). In many cases the result is things becomes easier or even cheaper to get in some cases.

If you tax McDonald's happy means, kraft lunchables will start adding a toy in the package.

I think efforts should be made instead to

1) Promote a real healthy food pyramid instead, that does not recommend we get 1000 calories a day from starch
    2) Put vegetables at the top, along with high fiber fruits
    3) Recognizes some fats are very healthy fat does not "turn into" fat on the body, but is digested as the nutrient that it is
    4) Lumps bread in with all other processed junk food

People are currently convinced by Government and fitness "experts" they need all this grain and that naturally occurring animal fat that we have evolved to eat is evil and they run around like chickens with their heads cut off looking for cheap and easy sources or they have given up altogether trying to lose weight on the food pyramid and decided why bother? Lets have a big mac. The are convinced their health depends on oils and chemicals like splenda that could not even exist without factories and chemical processes to extract and create them.

LOL...we would get our junk food on the Twinkie Black Market!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

well the problem i have with this theory is , the purpose of taxes is to raise money for the goverment, not punishment to the people