In your 60’s

Options

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    ... When I told him I fell he pulled me aside from my normal workout today and gave me some balance and mobility exercises to incorporate into my work at the gym. Many of them I can also do at home and in the pool...............I think he has a point. I'm quite strong but I'm still not as sure footed as I was when I was younger. ...

Let's all make a pact...............no more falls, let's be more aware of our surroundings and try not to do anything stupid!

Have a great weekend everyone!

I find single leg exercises like kettlebell deadlifts and split squats helpful for improving balance. Thanks for the reminder, @fitlulu4150 - I need to put those back in the regular rotation.

• fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175, good idea! I think I'll add some single leg work back in. I'm getting over a hip issue so I need to do that anyway!

@Nayghtymuffin & @barbarajane22. I've never tried Slimming World but did try Nutri-System about 35 years ago and the weight just fell off but as soon as I stopped the weight came right back on. I discovered that I really didn't learn anything about healthy eating because they did all the work for me.

I've kept 50 lbs off for 5 years and even a little more than that off and on. I tend to gain up to 10 lbs from time to time and then have to crack down again to get it off. Counting calories, exercise and making sure that I have a well rounded and satisfying diet is what finally worked for me.

Good luck on your journey!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who falls. I'm so sorry for your falls. I got ran into by dogs running several times. Gotten 2 severe injuries, first one to my knee,2n'd broken wrist, although that didn't hurt, the sprained wrist is the one that hurt. I've also fallen flat on my face due to a piece of pavement sticking up from the ground, ugh. I also got hit by a car & thrown off my bike on my way to riding my bike to work & landed on my injured knee & got bruised ribs. What has changed for me is I always walk around next to the fence at the dog park so don't get a chance to visit much with other ppl there, only when it's safe, which isn't often. After I got hit off my bicycle from a car from a side street, I couldn't drive on the freeway anymore, too freaked out by fast moving vehicles on sides of me & can barely travel with someone else driving on freeway so I just don't travel anymore, too stressful

Oh dear how awful, I have always been nervous on the road cycling and with my bad knee don't do it anymore. Usually it's my own pets that cause me to fall lol.
  • poemsaremypassion
    Options
    kropos1957 wrote: »
    Starting over and looking for accountability buddies? Me too let’s get this ✅ done

I turned 60 in June! I would like a buddy to be accountable to. How does this work?
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    kropos1957 wrote: »
    Starting over and looking for accountability buddies? Me too let’s get this ✅ done

I turned 60 in June! I would like a buddy to be accountable to. How does this work?

I would add that person as a friend on MFP. add friends on MFP:

1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window showing the username will open.
    2) Click on the username again. The user's profile will open.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button on the user's profile page. There is an option to send a message along with the request. That's always a good idea - just a short note mentioning where you saw the user, some common interests or goals, etc.
  • annliz23
    Options
    @geraldaltman, yes be careful with those new hips. I've always been an accident waiting to happen and honestly, I'm always shocked when I fall.............LOL

My family nicknamed me Grace for a reason I guess.

I hear you. As a boy, I drew a less graceful nickname..."un-co-ordinated plus". I had a tendacy to trip when there was nothing visible nearby to trip over, 🤣

LOL, I didn't see anything to trip over this morning other than my own two feet............so embarrassing!

It happens to us all you are not in your own!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    How's everyone's Sunday going? I work on week ends, only couple hours on Saturday & about 3.5 hrs on Sunday. Sunday's I take my client grocery shopping then church so it's mostly driving & being out. I do get tired of going out so if I ever get a different client I'm getting one where I stay put & clean & I go out alone for groceries. I haven't lost any more weight. Some days I do well, some not so much. It's mostly with exercising that I lose weight with since I end up eating at maintenance or a small deficit. I just can't eat only a little over 1200 cal/day in order to lose. Also I noticed since my last B day in March, I don't have all the stamina I used to before. I do 2 step classes a week which include weights every so many minutes but since I've been baby sitting 2yr old grand son, I haven't been going extra to the gym after I'm done with him. I'm not giving up- every day I plan to eat no more than 1300 cal, but I get too hungry. The long hot summer is coming to an end so maybe I'll do better without all this heat because I spend as little time in kitchen as possible. We don't eat or order out but I don't take the time to plan my meals as I do during the cooler weather. Today I bought the 3lb pk of ground turkey I usually did. I make 9 patties out of it for me & husband, freeze some & have it with veggies or add a slice of bread cut in half for a burger. They're very filling .
  • fitlulu4150
    Options
    @Evamutt I find ground turkey filling as well and I enjoy the fact that it's almost like having a hamburger.....but what I find even better is lean chicken breast. We cook chicken breasts about 3 or 4 times a week for dinner and then we can add them to a salad or sandwich for lunch during the week.
  • annliz23
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    How's everyone's Sunday going? I work on week ends, only couple hours on Saturday & about 3.5 hrs on Sunday. Sunday's I take my client grocery shopping then church so it's mostly driving & being out. I do get tired of going out so if I ever get a different client I'm getting one where I stay put & clean & I go out alone for groceries. I haven't lost any more weight. Some days I do well, some not so much. It's mostly with exercising that I lose weight with since I end up eating at maintenance or a small deficit. I just can't eat only a little over 1200 cal/day in order to lose. Also I noticed since my last B day in March, I don't have all the stamina I used to before. I do 2 step classes a week which include weights every so many minutes but since I've been baby sitting 2yr old grand son, I haven't been going extra to the gym after I'm done with him. I'm not giving up- every day I plan to eat no more than 1300 cal, but I get too hungry. The long hot summer is coming to an end so maybe I'll do better without all this heat because I spend as little time in kitchen as possible. We don't eat or order out but I don't take the time to plan my meals as I do during the cooler weather. Today I bought the 3lb pk of ground turkey I usually did. I make 9 patties out of it for me & husband, freeze some & have it with veggies or add a slice of bread cut in half for a burger. They're very filling .

The main thing is you are sticking with it and not giving up, you will like all of us have bad times and good times, remember you are not on your own. At the moment I am limited what exercises I can do so feeling frustrated but determined I will continue but its hard sometimes.
  • annliz23
    Options
    @Evamutt I find ground turkey filling as well and I enjoy the fact that it's almost like having a hamburger.....but what I find even better is lean chicken breast. We cook chicken breasts about 3 or 4 times a week for dinner and then we can add them to a salad or sandwich for lunch during the week.

Good idea!
  • 4Linda0
    4Linda0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts are great to make ahead. There is do much you can do with them. Your post about them inspired me to buy some at the market today for easy lunches and a chicken salad dinner and more.
  • fitlulu4150
    Options
    Glad everyone thought the chicken breast idea was a good one. We always cook extra and sometimes when I'm just hungry and want a snack I'll pick at them a little and it's pretty satisfying. Better than munching on cheese anyway...............LOL Not saying cheese doesn't taste better though..............

• alteredsteve175
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Another vote for chicken breasts. We usually cook a large package so that we have some left over.

Lately I have been making chicken salad with the leftovers. Chopped chicken, celery, a diced apple and some toasted slivered almonds. Dressed with mayonnaise, stone ground mustard and horseradish. Served on sourdough bread.

What do you add to spice up a chicken salad?
  • fitlulu4150
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You can add curry powder and drop the mustard and horseradish (although that sounds yummy) for a different taste, and maybe some dried fruit............raisins or cranberries? And I've heard there's a new avocado mayo product that may be a bit healthier than BEST Foods, but haven't looked for it yet. That might be a good choice.

I recently bought an anti-inflammatory cookbook and have been experimenting with lots of new ideas. I love to cook and so the challenge for me the last 6 years, since I started here at MFP, has been to find recipes that I enjoy making but that are also healthy for us, and taste good. I can't be Paula Deene anymore..............LOL
  • annliz23
    Options
    Another vote for chicken breasts. We usually cook a large package so that we have some left over.

Lately I have been making chicken salad with the leftovers. Chopped chicken, celery, a diced apple and some toasted slivered almonds. Dressed with mayonnaise, stone ground mustard and horseradish. Served on sourdough bread.

Sound yummy!
  • annliz23
    Options
    You can add curry powder and drop the mustard and horseradish (although that sounds yummy) for a different taste, and maybe some dried fruit............raisins or cranberries? And I've heard there's a new avocado mayo product that may be a bit healthier then BEST Foods, but haven't looked for it yet. That might be a good choice.

I recently bought an anti-inflammatory cookbook and have been experimenting with lots of new ideas. I love to cook and so the challenge for me the last 6 years since I started here at MFP has been to find recipes that I enjoy making but that are also healthy for us, and taste good. I can't be Paula Deene anymore..............LOL

The cranberry sound good.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @fitlulu4150 --Interested in the anti-inflammatory cookbook..which one did you get?