McDonald's

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I attempted to have a grilled chicken burger no sauce, bacon or cheese and was still violently ill 30 mins after. Shane because I loved the taste haha

yet another reason to stay away from fast food. hope you are feeling better.

Because you can only get food poisoning from fast food... 🙄🤔🤦🏼‍♀️ :noway:

I never said that...but by all means eat at your own risk. I know some people are so mad when anyone says anything negative about fast food on these boards. It's amazing! Do you all work in the industry? HAHA! It's garbage food and killing a lot of people and almost killed me because of my addiction to it.

There is a big difference between recognizing you have a problem and assuming everyone else does, or acting irrationally because of a bad personal experience and fearmongering. There is also a difference between understanding the source of disagreement (which has little to do with fast food, by the way) and conspiracy theories.

Fast food is not uniquely dangerous or is somehow dirtier than other food. You just had a bad experience and it's not unappealing to you, which is fine. It's also not uniquely addictive, you just had issues moderating it, and choosing to stop eating it is perfectly okay if it solved all your overeating problem. It's just convenient and we're creatures of habit. I don't have the habit of fast food, so it has no "addictive" effects on me, it's just something I eat occasionally when I feel like it.

all well and good but since the 1970's obesity rates have soared like never before, with over 60 % of all Americans being obese to morbidly obese now. What is the one thing that changed? The rise of "convenient" fast food establishments. This isn't fear mongering, it's an epidemic.

I agree that the ease of obtaining fast food is one contributing factor to the rise in obesity levels. There are not many that would argue against this. However, I believe it is naive at best to say this is the only reason. So many things have changed since the '70s and the obesity epidemic is much more complicated than the number of fast-food joints. We are more sedentary, more time-poor, more stressed, and we have a higher incidence of mental illness rates. I am sure these are just some things that factor into the increase in our waistlines.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    I searched McDonald’s in the forum and saw a few that said it should be ******* out. I think they were mostly older posts. I did the artisan grilled chicken sandwich and side salad with balsamic. No fry burgling.

I'm glad the OP got their answer and was able to enjoy their meal way back on page 2. I hope they've turned off their notifications since this thread has definitely veered off course from the listed nutrition facts.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I attempted to have a grilled chicken burger no sauce, bacon or cheese and was still violently ill 30 mins after. Shane because I loved the taste haha

yet another reason to stay away from fast food. hope you are feeling better.

Because you can only get food poisoning from fast food... 🙄🤔🤦🏼‍♀️ :noway:

I never said that...but by all means eat at your own risk. I know some people are so mad when anyone says anything negative about fast food on these boards. It's amazing! Do you all work in the industry? HAHA! It's garbage food and killing a lot of people and almost killed me because of my addiction to it.

There is a big difference between recognizing you have a problem and assuming everyone else does, or acting irrationally because of a bad personal experience and fearmongering. There is also a difference between understanding the source of disagreement (which has little to do with fast food, by the way) and conspiracy theories.

Fast food is not uniquely dangerous or is somehow dirtier than other food. You just had a bad experience and it's not unappealing to you, which is fine. It's also not uniquely addictive, you just had issues moderating it, and choosing to stop eating it is perfectly okay if it solved all your overeating problem. It's just convenient and we're creatures of habit. I don't have the habit of fast food, so it has no "addictive" effects on me, it's just something I eat occasionally when I feel like it.

all well and good but since the 1970's obesity rates have soared like never before, with over 60 % of all Americans being obese to morbidly obese now. What is the one thing that changed? The rise of "convenient" fast food establishments. This isn't fear mongering, it's an epidemic.

That is not even close to the only thing that has changed about the nation's food supply and activity level since the 70s. If you want to champion the need to give up fast food, at least don't make stuff up that's so obviously not true.

The obesity epidemic is very real. Most of the all powerful bogey men that are set up as the one true reason though are are just easy emotional targets.

Eating at fast food restaurants on a regular basis while allowing your cravings to make your choices can certainly be one of the causes of an individuals obesity.

Eating at fast food restaurants occasionally (and for some people, even regularly) while making mindful, informed choices can fit quite easily into a healthy diet.

The food at Wendy's is the same food as at the supermarket. It being cooked somewhere else and wrapped in paper doesn't make it crap or give it magical evil powers to make you fat. If an individual isn't capable of making smart choices at fast food places, then yeah they should probably avoid them. But just because one person can't doesn't mean no one can.

All of this. To add on top of it, one of the things helping to fuel the obesity epedemic is a general lack of understanding about calories and what actually fuels obesity. "Fast food = bad" has been in the public consciousness for decades, but it hasn't stopped the obesity epedemic or even encouraged people to make better food choices. They may thing going to their locally owned "free range organic" restaurant is better for them, even if they are eating twice the calories.

q8fi86j6qzh1.jpeg
    Exactly. I like this for visualization.

880 calories for big mac, med fry & diet coke. compared to my typical lunch of air fried 8 oz chicken breast with 37 g BBQ sauce, 287 g of watermelon and 95 g of spinach salad with light dressing, water to drink...489 calories. Just another comparison :) (PS..take out the BBQ sauce which I do many times and it cuts another 70 calories)
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options

880 calories for big mac, med fry & diet coke. compared to my typical lunch of air fried 8 oz chicken breast with 37 g BBQ sauce, 287 g of watermelon and 95 g of spinach salad with light dressing, water to drink...489 calories. Just another comparison :) (PS..take out the BBQ sauce which I do many times and it cuts another 70 calories)

Let's get real.. of course your meal wi be less cal..

Now if you switch the fried with salad..not much more calories than you home made meal..

qlha6qyzbju3.png

• nighthawk584
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

Let's get real.. of course your meal wi be less cal..

Now if you switch the fried with salad..not much more calories than you home made meal..

qlha6qyzbju3.png

Let's be honest, MOST aren't switching to a salad instead of fries
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    Here's their chicken sandwich
    azgr9h8lslbu.png

And yes. I do switch em.. maybe YOU don't..

So you can't blame McDonald's since the alt options are available..

I don't eat that CRAP anymore. And would love to see the stats on what most get at McD's. I'll bet it doesn't include a salad or grilled chicken sandwich. :)
  • nighthawk584
    Options
    Here's their chicken sandwich
    azgr9h8lslbu.png

And yes. I do switch em.. maybe YOU don't..

So you can't blame McDonald's since the alt options are available..

I don't eat that CRAP anymore. And would love to see the stats on what most get at McD's. I'll bet it doesn't include a salad or grilled chicken sandwich. :)

Good for you..that's your decision.. and what other people order is their decisions.

I eat still eat fast food and eat fries.. still lost weight as planned... (Currently on maintenance.. 190# for just over 2 month)

If I recall correctly (from your other post I've seen)..we are about same height and started about same weight..

Ymmv

it's all good, and congrats on your weight loss.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is problematic, but there are some decent options as others have said.

Above all -- it is an adequate source of coffee, a low calorie option. And coffee drinkers understand.

The Egg McMuffin is a decent option, but be careful of those home fries they always try to bundle with it.

The chicken sandwiches are OK calorie wise.

The Southwestern salad is also a good choice, but try to go with 1/2 the salad dressing...lots of calorie bomb on that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    McDonald's is problematic, but there are some decent options as others have said.

Above all -- it is an adequate source of coffee, a low calorie option. And coffee drinkers understand.

The Egg McMuffin is a decent option, but be careful of those home fries they always try to bundle with it.

The Southwestern salad is also a good choice, but try to go with 1/2 the salad dressing...lots of calorie bomb on that.

McDonald's has home fries? 🤔
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Oh I mean hash browns. Oops. Maybe need to get some more coffee.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options

Aka Hash browns.😆
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Aka Hash browns.😆

Now I want home fries and hash browns 😆😆