McDonald's

Options

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I attempted to have a grilled chicken burger no sauce, bacon or cheese and was still violently ill 30 mins after. Shane because I loved the taste haha

yet another reason to stay away from fast food. hope you are feeling better.

Because you can only get food poisoning from fast food... 🙄🤔🤦🏼‍♀️ :noway:

I never said that...but by all means eat at your own risk. I know some people are so mad when anyone says anything negative about fast food on these boards. It's amazing! Do you all work in the industry? HAHA! It's garbage food and killing a lot of people and almost killed me because of my addiction to it.

There is a big difference between recognizing you have a problem and assuming everyone else does, or acting irrationally because of a bad personal experience and fearmongering. There is also a difference between understanding the source of disagreement (which has little to do with fast food, by the way) and conspiracy theories.

Fast food is not uniquely dangerous or is somehow dirtier than other food. You just had a bad experience and it's not unappealing to you, which is fine. It's also not uniquely addictive, you just had issues moderating it, and choosing to stop eating it is perfectly okay if it solved all your overeating problem. It's just convenient and we're creatures of habit. I don't have the habit of fast food, so it has no "addictive" effects on me, it's just something I eat occasionally when I feel like it.

all well and good but since the 1970's obesity rates have soared like never before, with over 60 % of all Americans being obese to morbidly obese now. What is the one thing that changed? The rise of "convenient" fast food establishments. This isn't fear mongering, it's an epidemic.

That is not even close to the only thing that has changed about the nation's food supply and activity level since the 70s. If you want to champion the need to give up fast food, at least don't make stuff up that's so obviously not true.

The obesity epidemic is very real. Most of the all powerful bogey men that are set up as the one true reason though are are just easy emotional targets.

Eating at fast food restaurants on a regular basis while allowing your cravings to make your choices can certainly be one of the causes of an individuals obesity.

Eating at fast food restaurants occasionally (and for some people, even regularly) while making mindful, informed choices can fit quite easily into a healthy diet.

The food at Wendy's is the same food as at the supermarket. It being cooked somewhere else and wrapped in paper doesn't make it crap or give it magical evil powers to make you fat. If an individual isn't capable of making smart choices at fast food places, then yeah they should probably avoid them. But just because one person can't doesn't mean no one can.

All of this. To add on top of it, one of the things helping to fuel the obesity epedemic is a general lack of understanding about calories and what actually fuels obesity. "Fast food = bad" has been in the public consciousness for decades, but it hasn't stopped the obesity epedemic or even encouraged people to make better food choices. They may thing going to their locally owned "free range organic" restaurant is better for them, even if they are eating twice the calories.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I attempted to have a grilled chicken burger no sauce, bacon or cheese and was still violently ill 30 mins after. Shane because I loved the taste haha

I never said that...but by all means eat at your own risk. I know some people are so mad when anyone says anything negative about fast food on these boards. It's amazing! Do you all work in the industry? HAHA! It's garbage food and killing a lot of people and almost killed me because of my addiction to it.

There is a big difference between recognizing you have a problem and assuming everyone else does, or acting irrationally because of a bad personal experience and fearmongering. There is also a difference between understanding the source of disagreement (which has little to do with fast food, by the way) and conspiracy theories.

Fast food is not uniquely dangerous or is somehow dirtier than other food. You just had a bad experience and it's not unappealing to you, which is fine. It's also not uniquely addictive, you just had issues moderating it, and choosing to stop eating it is perfectly okay if it solved all your overeating problem. It's just convenient and we're creatures of habit. I don't have the habit of fast food, so it has no "addictive" effects on me, it's just something I eat occasionally when I feel like it.

all well and good but since the 1970's obesity rates have soared like never before, with over 60 % of all Americans being obese to morbidly obese now. What is the one thing that changed? The rise of "convenient" fast food establishments. This isn't fear mongering, it's an epidemic.

That is not even close to the only thing that has changed about the nation's food supply and activity level since the 70s. If you want to champion the need to give up fast food, at least don't make stuff up that's so obviously not true.

The obesity epidemic is very real. Most of the all powerful bogey men that are set up as the one true reason though are are just easy emotional targets.

Eating at fast food restaurants on a regular basis while allowing your cravings to make your choices can certainly be one of the causes of an individuals obesity.

Eating at fast food restaurants occasionally (and for some people, even regularly) while making mindful, informed choices can fit quite easily into a healthy diet.

The food at Wendy's is the same food as at the supermarket. It being cooked somewhere else and wrapped in paper doesn't make it crap or give it magical evil powers to make you fat. If an individual isn't capable of making smart choices at fast food places, then yeah they should probably avoid them. But just because one person can't doesn't mean no one can.

All of this. To add on top of it, one of the things helping to fuel the obesity epedemic is a general lack of understanding about calories and what actually fuels obesity. "Fast food = bad" has been in the public consciousness for decades, but it hasn't stopped the obesity epedemic or even encouraged people to make better food choices. They may thing going to their locally owned "free range organic" restaurant is better for them, even if they are eating twice the calories.

Plus when they realize they have a weight problem they try to cut out all food and many of them end up burning out, or are afraid to start in the first place because making the drastic change they think they need to make is too overwhelming.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Options

Of course this is all true but the food environment (macro and micro levels) will and do have an impact on the obesity crises prevalent in western economies.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That's hilarious!

You may or may not be fear-mongering, but whatever it is, you're using an inaccurate understanding of history to support it.

I was already an adult in the 1970s, and paying attention.

I'm glad that you find the obesity epidemic hilarious and promote fast food on a weight loss site. Real HILARIOUS! I was alive in the 70s too. Carry on!
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options

all well and good but since the 1970's obesity rates have soared like never before, with over 60 % of all Americans being obese now. What is the one thing that changed? The rise of "convenient" fast food establishments. This isn't fear mongering, it's an epidemic.

83.6% of stats are made up on the spot.

ok, whatever you say. Go have your double whopper. :)

God forbid you have an opinion.

It's amazing isn't it? Some of these people pile on like vultures when someone gets away from their mantra. But, it's the internet, no different on a site like this either.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    The proliferation of readily available (on every corner) fast food has without a doubt contributed to overeating. I was born in the 50’s. We had White Castle, Dairy Queen, and even a McDonald’s then. Very limited menus, all take out only where you walked up to a window and got your order. No breakfast. I’m old enough to remember when the sign was first put up at McDonald’s that they sold over 1,000,000 hamburgers.
    Fast food has a place in the blame game, but there are many contributing factors and what we’re all doing right now (Internet) has a place as well.
    I for one like all the modern conveniences, fast food among them. Moderation of all things, not easy in many aspects. Ultimately, taking personal responsibility for indulging in excess.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    That's assuming I can ignore my desire for fries...

Here in my own house I fry potatoes in bacon grease. The McDonald's vegan oil fries are simply not attractive.

Other'n that, the McDonald's nutrition info numbers are more truthful than most restaurants as individual workers have very little discretion for portion sizes.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I don’t think I had food poisoning. I think I had just not eaten anything but complete whole foods for so long that my system just spun out

That was food poisoning. It happens.

30 minutes is generally way too early for food poisoning.

Depends on the food borne illness. There are more than one you know.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I don’t think I had food poisoning. I think I had just not eaten anything but complete whole foods for so long that my system just spun out

That was food poisoning. It happens.

30 minutes is generally way too early for food poisoning.

Depends on the food borne illness. There are more than one you know.

And the vast majority take hours to days. I'm thinking of the microbial ones. The microbe has to reproduce first. Even Staph food poisoning (toxin) will generally take longer than 30 minutes.

Also, I have IBS. I can eat something and have issues very quickly. And it isn't food poisoning.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would trust most McDonald's nutrition info except the fries, simply because the portion of fries is not as standardized as other products. It very much depends on the person that's serving them. I've had portions where the little box was barely filled, and I've had portions where the box was overflowing. The salt content also varies a lot. Some of the workers toss a dash over the fries as if an afterthought. Others are rather enthusiastic with the salt. ;)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I know others have said this too but I feel like the thing with fast food is making it fit your calories and avoiding it as an everyday option. I have coworkers (who don't necessarily need to lose weight) who get a different fast food lunch every single day, week in & week out. I don't *judge* them for that but I do think it would be really disappointing and not too flavorful or healthy compared to the food I'm able to go home and eat...and it would also become rather expensive, especially if always ordering a combo meal with drink & side.

That's how I see it anyway. I go to fast food restaurants roughly 1-3 times per month and enjoy it. I usually get a sandwich/entree, no side, and water. It's an easy cheap place to get a quick meal. Usually I go with my dad to mix it up from going to "real" restaurants on our weekly dad/daughter lunch day. Other times my husband and I will be on a day trip & find ourselves driving through a small town that only has Subway, Burger King, McDonald's and Taco Bell. So we make it work. It's definitely not my favorite option for getting food away from home, but it'll do in a pinch.

I've never had any ill effects from fast food like others often describe - but I have an iron stomach, I'm told.

At McDonald's I usually get a black coffee and either McChicken or McDouble w/ extra pickles and eat 1/2 bun.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I find it useful to be familiar with several fast food menus in my area. Most of my meals are prepared at home, but I do sometimes have days where I am out running errands and need to stop for a meal at fast food/quick service establishments. My menu choices aren’t better than anyone else’s. They just help me stay on track by knowing what to order in case I need to stop.

McDonalds - I generally get the southwest salad with grilled chicken. But any of their salads typically fit my goals. If I really want a burger and fries, I’ll order a Mighty Kids Meal with the McDouble and apple slices along with its small fry included. If I have calories to spare I’ll have a vanilla soft serve cone.

Wendy’s- I typically get the bacon and cheese baked potato with the side salad and pomegranate vinaigrette dressing. If I have extra calories to spare I’ll get s junior Frosty.

Starbucks- sparkling lemonade refresher drink with a protein box.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

Of course this is all true but the food environment (macro and micro levels) will and do have an impact on the obesity crises prevalent in western economies.
    To a point. In the Philippines, they have all sort of fast food places (locally named) that are high calorie and it's affordable. Yet they don't have the same issues with obesity as the US. What I see more in Western culture is LACK OF TIME for many to make meals or sit down for a decent meal. With all the commuting and long days at work, many consort to fast food because that's all they have time for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

To a point. In the Philippines, they have all sort of fast food places (locally named) that are high calorie and it's affordable. Yet they don't have the same issues with obesity as the US. What I see more in Western culture is LACK OF TIME for many to make meals or sit down for a decent meal. With all the commuting and long days at work, many consort to fast food because that's all they have time for.

This type of generalization is often seen because of the unique demographics of the US population. Sadly, we are a highly divided society. If you go to Norway where they have 15.5 hours of leisure time, you are mostly dealing with white Europeans, well employed for the most part. In the US, where there is one hour less or 14.4 hours of leisure, the statistic includes an underclass consisting of rural poor, minorities and immigrants, somewhere north of 30% of the population. I wish I could change that.

But, in my world, my neighbors have more like 30 hours of leisure time. Half of them are home at 3pm. Summer and Winter vacation properties are typical, they golf, tennis, bike, run and walk endlessly. Fast food has nothing to do with time. It has everything to do with choice and convenience.

As for obesity, the underclass has obesity rates close to 50% in the US. California has more obese persons than the entire population of my state, Ohio.

In my zipcode, the mortality rate is lower than the best 100 countries in the list.

I wish it was different but, its not.

So, there are people here who run to second jobs to meake ends meet and don't have time to put home made food on the table. But, I don't know any of them.