• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

q8fi86j6qzh1.jpeg

Exactly. I like this for visualization.

I think this graphic is terrific.

I think this graphic is wrong.

This is a 350cal medium French fries, not a small 220cal portion. This would be near 900cal.

Having said that, all of this makes me go to McDo for this lunch. Big Mac and Coke Zero only. Yummy and fulfilling.

Tomorrow morning it will be a McMuffin and hashed potato.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »

q8fi86j6qzh1.jpeg

Exactly. I like this for visualization.

I think this graphic is terrific.

I think this graphic is wrong.

This is a 350cal medium French fries, not a small 220cal portion. This would be near 900cal.

Having said that, all of this makes me go to McDo for this lunch. Big Mac and Coke Zero only. Yummy and fulfilling.

Tomorrow morning it will be a McMuffin and hashed potato.

I was excited when McDonald's announced they would be serving foods like Egg McMuffin all day, but unfortunately the two near me didn't get the memo, and after trying numerous times I gave up. I complained using the online form and got a response saying I would hear from the franchise, which I did not.

I used to get the sausage b/c bacon often wasn't crispy enough for me. At home I have bacon. I was making them a once or twice per week, but now I'm on an egg and pesto kick.

3c9267a9774e251b718000e7086f6e9f.png

431chdanwm98.png
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Theres a coach I follow on Insta called Syattfitness. He is currently eating a big mac every day but training and in a calorie defecit just simply to prove that we dont need to demonize foods.

If you like it, and its what you want to eat then go for it. But you need to balance out the rest of your diet with good nutrition.

He did say he feels like *kitten* 30 mins after eating them but hes grinding it out for the month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I agree that this graphic makes some good points.

Black and white thinking -- McDonald's BAD, sandwich on whole wheat and green smoothie GOOD -- leads to decision making without all the facts. There's nothing wrong with a Big Mac once in a while if the rest of your choices fall in line.

Be careful on places like Subway or Panera capitalizing on marketing themselves as "healthy choices". Sure, there are a lot of great lower calorie options at Panera but there are choices that can be made that are just as fat and calorie laden as any greasy fry joint. And that green Caesar salad at the local restaurant? Do you know if it's 300 calories or 800? You might be unpleasantly surprised!

Panera give you a calorie calculator that allows you to customize which is a nice feature that I hope gets more popular. With that you can go in pretty well armed to get within the normal 20 percent or so what you think you are getting. Unfortunately I don't find their non bagel food to be all that great. I do not eat a lot of pastries though.

Subway is the same way for me. I do buy salads from them often as a quick base but I don't get too excited for a sandwich from them unless I am travelling to a really small town and then it can be a safer option than JoJo's Coin Laundry and Sushi joint.

I do not trust salads with multiple higher calorie ingredients from restaurants on a regular basis. I don't worry about it too much if it is once a week but not more than that. There is too much room for some employee in the back being generous with toppings/dressings.

I decided to keep an 80/20 mindset. 80ish percent of the time I am eating nutrient dense food that I enjoy. 20ish percent of the time I am eating fun treat food. I do not calculate percentages since it is only a mindset. It will often translate into a single meal on a weekend and a few snacks. Then on a vacation or holiday it may involve days of treat foods. I believe it works out somehow and my blood gets tested every 4 months so as long as my doctor is not prescribing me or recommending I take new supplements I feel like I am on track.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I agree that this graphic makes some good points.

Black and white thinking -- McDonald's BAD, sandwich on whole wheat and green smoothie GOOD -- leads to decision making without all the facts. There's nothing wrong with a Big Mac once in a while if the rest of your choices fall in line.

Be careful on places like Subway or Panera capitalizing on marketing themselves as "healthy choices". Sure, there are a lot of great lower calorie options at Panera but there are choices that can be made that are just as fat and calorie laden as any greasy fry joint. And that green Caesar salad at the local restaurant? Do you know if it's 300 calories or 800? You might be unpleasantly surprised!

Panera give you a calorie calculator that allows you to customize which is a nice feature that I hope gets more popular. With that you can go in pretty well armed to get within the normal 20 percent or so what you think you are getting. Unfortunately I don't find their non bagel food to be all that great. I do not eat a lot of pastries though.

Subway is the same way for me. I do buy salads from them often as a quick base but I don't get too excited for a sandwich from them unless I am travelling to a really small town and then it can be a safer option than JoJo's Coin Laundry and Sushi joint.

I do not trust salads with multiple higher calorie ingredients from restaurants on a regular basis. I don't worry about it too much if it is once a week but not more than that. There is too much room for some employee in the back being generous with toppings/dressings.

I decided to keep an 80/20 mindset. 80ish percent of the time I am eating nutrient dense food that I enjoy. 20ish percent of the time I am eating fun treat food. I do not calculate percentages since it is only a mindset. It will often translate into a single meal on a weekend and a few snacks. Then on a vacation or holiday it may involve days of treat foods. I believe it works out somehow and my blood gets tested every 4 months so as long as my doctor is not prescribing me or recommending I take new supplements I feel like I am on track.

I miss my Subway guy. ): There was a Subway in a nearby gas station and I would always go there for lunch, even if another Subway was closer, because he knew all the sandwich tricks to make a Subway sandwich pretty darn good. I'd get a veggie delight and he'd put a little oil and oregano on the onion and peppers and then put them in the oven and he always tessellated the cheese triangles even though I guess they're not supposed to. I suppose I can ask for it at other Subways but it's just a hassle.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Now if you print that out and hand it to them, you might get what you're asking for, or at least they'd get a kick out of it! I will admit to rearranging my sub to more evenly distribute the ingredients before eating. Even if I were to try to coach them, it wouldn't be quite right anyway.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Now if you print that out and hand it to them, you might get what you're asking for, or at least they'd get a kick out of it! I will admit to rearranging my sub to more evenly distribute the ingredients before eating. Even if I were to try to coach them, it wouldn't be quite right anyway.

I am in Southern Ontario and they always tessellate the cheese at Subway up here. (And I, too, had never heard of that word!)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    HASWLRS wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I am in Southern Ontario and they always tessellate the cheese at Subway up here. (And I, too, had never heard of that word!)

I think they've changed the policy because it got out that the policy was to stack them rather than tessellate.

Subway-Finally-Agrees-to-Tessellate-Cheese_o_29252.jpg