Things in recipes that amuse you

hmhill17
hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
edited September 2019 in Recipes
From names to ingredients to cooking process, things that make you laugh. Examples:

"Man-pleasing XXXX"
"Better than sex XXXX"
"Crack XXXX"
"Fall off the bone"
"Cook boneless skinless chicken breast in crockpot for 12 hours"
"Cook on high pressure for 3 whistles"

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    "Cook until juices run clear" 😞
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i know this isn't what you meant by this thread, but it makes me laugh that there is grape jelly in the recipe i use for meatballs.

I've seen that recipe, or one similar, and it is exactly what I mean.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i know this isn't what you meant by this thread, but it makes me laugh that there is grape jelly in the recipe i use for meatballs.

I've seen that recipe, or one similar, and it is exactly what I mean.

A lot of Mary Berry recipes call for a teaspoon of red current jelly in savoury meat dishes. For a touch of sweetness in a savoury dish, I would go with a glug of port or a little squirt of ketchup.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Oh and Jamie Oliver ... he’s a positive goldmine for stupidity in how he phrases recipe instructions!

He often says.. of a herb, or maybe pomegranate seeds or chopped nuts etc..

‘Sprinkle in and around’

Always make me and my daughter think of sweeping up whatever from the tablecloth, floor etc! 😂
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Oh and Jamie Oliver ... he’s a positive goldmine for stupidity in how he phrases recipe instructions!

He often says.. of a herb, or maybe pomegranate seeds or chopped nuts etc..

‘Sprinkle in and around’

Always make me and my daughter think of sweeping up whatever from the tablecloth, floor etc! 😂

Jamie Oliver recipes are just awful. So wrong in terms of organization and order of work. A friend of mine who cooked one of his recipes said he was shocked that after following Jamie's instruction *every* vessel in his kitchen was dirty.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't know why but it amuses me when a baking recipe says 1/3 cup plus 1/2 tbsp sugar.
    I feel like a slightly heaping 1/3 cup is fine. And I'm kinda particular when baking.

Usually, when I encounter recipes like this, the 1/3 cup is for the main preparation and the 1/2 tbsp is set aside for something else as a final touch... like sugar in sugar cookie dough + some extra sugar to sprinkle on at the end...

I'll shut up now.

No, I definitely hear that! I have encountered it both ways and when it's all used in the same step, that's when I laugh about it.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited September 2019
    I’m always amused by recipes that call for bay leaf. But I still use it to amuse myself. “Add then remove ...for zero added flavour” IMO