Things in recipes that amuse you

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Most mornings I read newspapers from 100 years ago today, and recipes from the era tend to be really unspecific with ingredient amounts. "Start with a quantity of chicken, then add a measure of flour..." Wait, what is a "quantity" of chicken? How much is a "measure" of flour?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Most mornings I read newspapers from 100 years ago today, and recipes from the era tend to be really unspecific with ingredient amounts. "Start with a quantity of chicken, then add a measure of flour..." Wait, what is a "quantity" of chicken? How much is a "measure" of flour?

My mum has a recipe book that is like that. It's an old Brazilian book for making all sorts of delicacies. But one has no clue how much of each ingredient to put in each thing!!!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Most recipes by Yotam Ottolenghi with an ingredient list as long as your arm, of which at least a third need to be bought by mail order.

Ottolenghi recipes are the worst! I made the Gnocci alla Romana last December after I gave his new cookbook to my father. Took three stores to find the ingredients, took forever to make, made a huge mess and reminded me strongly of sliced and baked polenta when it was all said and done. Definitely needed some kind of sauce. The only up side was that I found out that I can indeed cook anything in my countertop convection oven/air fryer.

His cookbooks are beautiful though.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Sometime I laugh, sometimes I fume, when a recipe includes ingredients that are never mentioned in the directions. So, I just need to have the onion sit on the counter to watch while I make this stew?

I can't even begin to say how much I hate this!
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    My favorite, " When browning meat, be careful not to burn it, as the burnt flavor will linger."!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    i know this isn't what you meant by this thread, but it makes me laugh that there is grape jelly in the recipe i use for meatballs.

I have a similar one that calls for a can of jellied cranberry sauce.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    eryn0x wrote: »
    I’m always amused by recipes that call for bay leaf. But I still use it to amuse myself. “Add then remove ...for zero added flavour” IMO

Bay leaves actually add flavor. You can leave them in up until serving. The only reason you take them out is because the spines never soften and can cause problems if swallowed, kind of like a fish bone. You can actually crush bay leaf in a mortar and pestle, remove the spines, and add. That way you don't have to remove it.

I just watched an episode of Lydia’s Italian Table on PBS.
    She bloomed fresh bay leaf with other spices in the dish she made. She said it brings out the flavor better. Makes sense, I do that with spices when I make chili.

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I love Ina Garten, but she honestly makes the most intense things and fancy ingredients sound so easy and normal. Makes me laugh and shake my head a lot.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I come from a long line of cooks and bakers (both sides of the family) and have a lot of old family recipes.

My favorites:
    • Butter the size of a walnut
    • 1 or 2 eggs
    • Flour to feel
    • Vanilla

The ultimate is a recipe that calls for molasses that "pours off the spoon while singing one chorus of "Nearer My God to Thee". If the weather is cold, sing two choruses"

1 cup of x, but then it's not a measuring cup, it's a random cup you drink tea or milk from.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Sometime I laugh, sometimes I fume, when a recipe includes ingredients that are never mentioned in the directions. So, I just need to have the onion sit on the counter to watch while I make this stew?

You beat me to it. Drives me nuts. Or the reverse-- "Add the milk." WHAT MILK?? And how much??
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

You beat me to it. Drives me nuts. Or the reverse-- "Add the milk." WHAT MILK?? And how much??

Yes -- that's even worse.