Things in recipes that amuse you

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,004 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    One of my favorites is when the prep time says 10 minutes and the cook time says 20 minutes and in the middle of the recipe there's the hidden, "Let this marinate for 12 years to maximize the flavor." Sorry, that should be in the prep time then.

“marinate 12 years to maximize flavor”

Omg.....you are actually hilarious. Yes! I hate that too. 🤣
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    Instant Pot recipes that don't include the time it takes for it to come to pressure and release pressure, it's a lot longer to cook than I think! Still love it though.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    This is not so much in a recipe, but of a recipe. Also it doesn’t amuse me, it makes me cross!

Finding a recipe online which has been written/developed by someone who is not American, i.e. is given in grams, ml, etc and seeing a bunch of people complaining that they either had to convert it (oh the horror!), demanding the originator convert it to ‘regular’ measurements for them and just generally criticising the entire recipe because it’s not done in cups.

I realise I’m probably offending a bunch of people here with this, so apologies if I do...but there are people in the world who are not American and the entire rest of the world does exist, eat and cook.

I actually LIKE to prepare a recipe that is in grams. It’s easier to just use and wash 1 bowl and 1 spoon than all those measuring spoons and cups. But I’m still not good at estimating (do I have enough of this or do I need to run to the store?)

But liquids in ml. Seriously, tell me. Do you weigh or measure? My scale has ml, but it is exactly the same as grams, and I don’t think it’s the same thing, is it?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    This is not so much in a recipe, but of a recipe. Also it doesn’t amuse me, it makes me cross!

Finding a recipe online which has been written/developed by someone who is not American, i.e. is given in grams, ml, etc and seeing a bunch of people complaining that they either had to convert it (oh the horror!), demanding the originator convert it to ‘regular’ measurements for them and just generally criticising the entire recipe because it’s not done in cups.

I realise I’m probably offending a bunch of people here with this, so apologies if I do...but there are people in the world who are not American and the entire rest of the world does exist, eat and cook.

Can you please re-type your post in an American accent so we can all understand? Thaaaankssss... ;)

Y’all made me guffaw! 😉
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I actually LIKE to prepare a recipe that is in grams. It’s easier to just use and wash 1 bowl and 1 spoon than all those measuring spoons and cups. But I’m still not good at estimating (do I have enough of this or do I need to run to the store?)

But liquids in ml. Seriously, tell me. Do you weigh or measure? My scale has ml, but it is exactly the same as grams, and I don’t think it’s the same thing, is it?

It is for water. It is close for milk. It is inaccurate for anything denser like oils, salad dressings, etc.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Recipe for 4 people. (REALLY?)
    You can replace item xyz with kale.
    "Ask your butcher to cut..."
    Use left - overs for next meal. (Again: REALLY?)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Generally I use a calibrated measuring jug to measure liquids because, as you rightly say, it’s not always the same. It sort of depends what I’m making and how crucial total accuracy is to the end result.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Recipe's for eggs that don't say what size the eggs are or if they are refrigerated or not before cooking. It make a BIG difference if you want a perfectly soft yolks.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Recipe's for eggs that don't say what size the eggs are or if they are refrigerated or not before cooking. It make a BIG difference if you want a perfectly soft yolks.

My daughter's birthday cake it said 3 medium eggs and gave amount in ML. I used 3 large and a little egg white from the "jug" I use for breakfast to get that amount. Clearly mutant chickens were used in the original.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    I've always liked cook until toothpick comes out clean on cake recipes. That's like a 30 second window between done and dry. Or mix until it looks like something that only exists in the mind of the recipe creator...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Bake in a medium oven until done 🤣