WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Rho97070
    Rho97070 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Heather in UK I'm so sorry for what you had to go through with breast cancer. Thank you for sharing. Gosh, that had to be tough. But, wow! Look at you now :smiley: turning 70. Weight down. Strength up - walking, jogging and dancing. Impressive! Very inspiring! You look fabulous (your sons and DH, not bad either - hehe. But yikes - DH fainting in the middle of the night? Scary!) Love, love, love that red dress <3 BTW - where are you going to on your cruise?

Allie I'm glad you did the "hokey pokey" this morning and turned yourself around from the silly downward thoughts. Losing 47lbs IS substantial! Congratulations!!! You go, girl! :smiley:

Lisa Your home reno pics were cool as was your story about how you and your DH found your forever spot. I've done a bunch of reno work on homes I've owned. Sometimes a headache, but so satisfying when you get things functioning and looking like you want/need them to be. Kudos! :)

Lanette No, I haven't read "Women Rowing North" but saw that someone else here mention it, looked it up on Amazon, and now it's on my reading list. :smile:

Machka Do you know about "Tile" for finding stuff? I consider myself as a highly organized person but, I frequently misplace my phone :o (((hugs to you)))

Tracy Sometimes the body just says "give me a break" . . . I hope you just need a couple of chill days and haven't caught some sort of bug. Wishing you lifted spirits and wellness soon <3

Cheri The FitDesk is very cool. I bought one when they first came out (and paid a lot more than what they sell for now). I love mine and hope yours works out for you. P.S. Love your name - it was my mother's name and it's not heard often :smile:

Pip Dinner and a concert - you had fun doing some Night Moves, eh? :wink:

Bananas I thought I had sent a rather long PM to you about meniscus tears, but just checked and it wasn't there. My apologies. I'll do a re-do tonight.

Rebecca Cool rig, that Winnebago. And interesting to learn about your loving son <3 Thank you. I just got off the phone with my middle sis in North County San Diego. Nice weather they're having now :smile:

Amtrak Apparently, the new (packaged food) will go into effect on Oct 1 for Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Crescent, and Silver Meteor services. For now, traditional dining car service remains on overnight routes: Auto Train, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle. Been riding the Coastal Starlight from Portland, OR to Los Angeles, CA about every four or five years to see fam in So Cal and one of the highlights has been to enjoy the dining car service.

Off to work on the garage now.
    Hugs to all!
    Rho
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Rho, my husband's transplant went really well, though he did a years worth of stents trying to stretch his plumbing to the livers plumbing. Ended up just main lining it to the intestines. That was in Feb 2018 and he's great. They had to repeat the same incision as his transplant, but he healed amazing! We moved in April from Oregon to Washington. The fact that we go to the on base gym has really helped us both.
    His scar I will hide it-
    t15tfatuhcb3.jpeg
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rebecca ~ That is one ugly scar! :# The idea of living in a RV would be difficult for me; but, yours looked very much it could be lived in. Can't imagine not having a car.

Carol in GA
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    KJ (Kelly, Long day indeed! You know there is a wing prepared in heaven for people like you.💖. That you can take in the negativities from your spouse, and sit drinking coffee and appreciate the world in all its splendour. You have the tools friend! You have skills gurl!💖.
    💖Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    Rho97070 wrote: »
    Good morning/afternoon (or evening) and happy weekend!

I hadn't been eating as healthily as intended over the last week or so due to multiple stresses. But happy to report that my weight loss that began earlier in the month has remained stable. Also happy to report BF is doing great after having TURP last Thursday.

Yesterday, I stopped by my mechanic's shop. While there, my new transmission was delivered by the shipper. Seeing it brought tears to my eyes. I like being physically active and I like car camping. I own a couple of cars, but this the only one that allows for mine and BF's bikes being quickly/easily piled into the back (for a day ride); the only one with a roof rack for my kayak; the only one I went to the trouble of getting a Thule cargo carrier for and the only one wide and long enough for the two of us to sleep in if rains while camping. I can't recall being so excited about the arrival of an inanimate object. :smiley: And looking forward to doing all those activities next year is great motivation for me to get in shape!!!

Allie Lhasas and Shih Tzu (similar features) are both intelligent, sweet, loving dogs. I wasn't sure which one was your Chester. We had a red haired Lhasa when my boys were in their teens. We named her named her Allie :-) It's incredibly tough letting a loved one go . . . <3

Rebecca You are very fortunate to have a son whose home he shares with you. How has your DH been since the liver transplant?
    My dream would be to live in a warmer climate (the Yucatan or in Panama, perhaps) for a few years before settling down in an RV traveling and/or living on my eldest son's rural 17.5 acres - off the grid. Although I have lived outside of the US on my own, I have reservations about doing so at the age I am now. My dream is rather dependent on BF "getting on-board" and his profession allows him to work into advancing years, so, we'll see.

Sharon <3 Relating the how you spent the last remaining time with your DH brought tears to my eyes. <3 Thank you for sharing.

SuziQ I have tried alternatives to sugar and didn't find one that I liked much, so at the beginning of this month I gave up all sugars. About five days later I no longer felt like I was jonesing for some sweetness. But I had not cleaned out my cupboards, and last week I succumbed. This morning, I cleaned out all my cupboards :wink: I don't know about you, but I've been pre-T2D for a while so it will behoove me to lessen high sugar veggies as well.

M in Oz Good to hear you're back on the bike, both figuratively and literally :smiley:

Lisa in AR Until ten years ago, like you, I've lived a rather peripatetic life. There can be many advantages to "settling" in one place even with less pay. I'm much calmer and satisfied with my life now :smile: Your job sounds like it could be very fulfilling! Best wishes!

AZTeri Wow!!! 34.55 miles! Very impressive :smiley:

Book reading Since the boom in computer and internet usage, my reading is more research and fact based than before. I'm a bit behind in reading current materials for leisure. I'm about half-way through The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and recommend it to anyone with interest in diet, nutrition and the US agricultural system.

Languages I attended a French immersion school from 12-14 and had three years of Spanish in high school. Living in Spain b.c. (before children ;-) I taught English for two years. During my four years in Europe and North Africa, I picked up some Arabic and Greek also. Being able to speak anything but English now is just about nil. I don't recall who in the group mentioned DUOLINGO, but I'll definitely be looking into it since an upcoming winter aim is to refresh my Spanish speaking skills. I've read/heard that learning/speaking a foreign language is one of the best ways to keep one's mind sharp into advancing years

Newbies Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! :smile:

Rho

Rho, every single day I am reminded of how fortunate I am. My eldest son and I have a close relationship. I was pretty protective, as he was growing up, with the bulk of his learned behaviors ( age 2-4 yrs old), happened in Japan. Protective meaning he was always at my side. My one fear was that he would get lost in a crowd, be pushed on a train, and be lost forever. When we arrived back stateside, his language speaking skills were impacted by his time in Japan. Many years of speech therapy until grade 4. So class mates listened to how he spoke, not what he said. Growing up, he was friends with the "lost kids", kids that wore black, "the invisibles". He didn't have to prove himself, and he wore his heart on his sleeve, still does. I think he will always be a sensitive sort, my gentle giant. There is a childlike innocence about him, and his hobbies of Legos, and toys reflect that.
    Our time in our RV was great! I miss that Winnebago! Here's a pic.💖
    w5ca9yxc36ze.jpg
    dwic7dia1tvo.jpg
    Right now I am such a homebody! Love to not travel. Today we have to travel to Seattle airport, to drop off eldest son. He's traveling to San Diego, with a bunch of his squadron to put together a helicopter.👍
    💖Rebecca

that's what Kirby's friend came in
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Supermodels,

Tracey
    - I hope you are able to rest up today. I know dental work can be expensive, glad your insurance will cover it soon. So many health problems hinge on our oral health, you'd think just checkups at a minimum would be included in your National Health. I have a similar concern about Vitamin D and B12 tests down here. They are expensive -especially the Vitamin D, and a person generally has to "prove" they need the test before insurance will cover it. Subpar D and B12 can negatively impact our health in so many ways. Maybe some day! OK, off the soapbox. :)

Rho
    - great progress!! Inspiring to read your health and personal goals. Makes me re-examine how I'm doing in many of those areas.

Kelly - I was right there with you sitting outside and listening to the lake this morning. :) Glad it was a time of renewal for you. That Focus group meeting sounded interesting and worth attending. Hope the kids are over the crud and you have a smooth week ahead.

Heather - thank you for reposting Barbie's lists. They are right on the money. Love the photo of you with your two sons. And I agree, red is your color!!

I spent this morning re-watching the "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer" BBC Documentary on YouTube with Michael Mosley. It's a review for the upcoming brain docu-series as several of the scientists Mosley interviews highlight the benefit that Fasting and even Intermittent Fasting has on the brain.

And I was reminded how effective the 5:2 Fast that Mosley championed was for me last summer coupled with strength training. I felt great, lost a few pounds. Lots of energy. Really, it was one of the easiest and most effective eating plans I've ever been on. Back on the wagon, today is a "Fast" day.

Carry on, ladies. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Hubs has been working insane hours. As often happens when he is so busy at work, I have been bitten by the organizing bug. I have gone through my bathroom drawers and 2 of my 3 bedside drawers. I am moving to the kitchen junk drawer tomorrow as soon as my organizing trays get here from Amazon. Mind you, it isn't a cleaning bug, just organizing. I am going to take the measurements for my bar closet so I can order Elfa. I store stuff on the top shelf....the problem is the top shelf is 5 feet from the top of the closet, so, boxes get stacked as high as I can get them, but then it is hard to get them down. With Elfa, I can add a shelf for each row of boxes and not have to move any except the one I need. I also store a blow up mattress and pillows/sheets/blankets in case we need a fourth guest bed. Hubs said no problem, all he has to do is hang the top anchor bar and everything else hangs off of it and is adjustable for changing needs down the road. Of course, before he can do that, we have to tear out the built in shelves, fix the walls (if needed) and I'll repaint the closet. So a little more involved, but not bad. After that I'll do the smelly closet (where I store all my candles, and good smelling stuff for the house).

Have a great evening ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • coastalgosgal
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Pip, ours was quite the gas guzzler! Now our Chevy spark, we used to tell the gas station clerks in Oregon, don't even leave, its like a seven gallon tank, so * clink* see she's done now.💖
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    Chromebook died. I went and got a new one today. Everything transferred. I only had to log into my google account and get hooked into our WIFi. This one is slightly bigger. I like it. I opted not to go with a gloss screen and touch screen. For what I do on it not really needed. In some instances I think the glare would bother me. It is like the difference between a glossy photo and matte. The glossy and touch screen was also 100 more. Chromebooks are so reasonable compared to windows 10. With that said a chrome book is not for writing a novel on unless you save to a memory stick.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Rho97070 wrote: »
    Pip or anyone in the Pacific NW Do you have room . . . Would you be interested in adopting a 4 year old service dog whose owner just passed away and needs a new home? His name is Henry and he's in Portland.
    o6sfeacjabwv.png

oh so I wish....I we have Floyd and yogi already, and our intent was to go down to a 1 dog owner... Floyd would b my issue but I would SO LOVE a service dog, no training needed.what kind of dog is it
  • pipcd34
    Options
    nvermind, just saw the pick, he would be a twin for yogi
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Enjoy your cruise. Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos of your sons. :smiley: I like your list of nine things to give up in order to be happy. The inner peace message is wonderful, too.

Pip: Happy to hear that Bob Seeger can still sing. You’re lucky to get to see the concert. :smiley:

Rebecca: I look at your husband’s scar in the photo and see courage and survival for both of you. I’m so happy that he is doing well. :heart:

Rho: Keep us in the loop regarding the service dog in Portland who is looking for a new home. I have one or two friends who might be interested. Can you PM me with contact information?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: Enjoy your cruise. Thank you for sharing the wonderful photos of your sons. :smiley: I like your list of nine things to give up in order to be happy. The inner peace message is wonderful, too.

Pip: Happy to hear that Bob Seeger can still sing. You’re lucky to get to see the concert. :smiley:

Rebecca: I look at your husband’s scar in the photo and see courage and survival for both of you. I’m so happy that he is doing well. :heart:

Rho: Keep us in the loop regarding the service dog in Portland who is looking for a new home. I have one or two friends who might be interested. Can you PM me with contact information?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

me too. I didn't want to go. I only went cuz kirby wanted me to