Why did you get married?

Options

Replies

• mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've never been married but I only ever see people getting married because of circumstance. Usually they already have a kid together so why not.
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    yelliezx wrote: »
    Because I wanted the fairy tale - marriage, house, kids :D

We all wanted that fairy tale at some point.... I still have the house and the kids half time but it sure cost me a hell of a lot. Lesson learned? Probably not.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    @InspectorRed

I really love and appreciate your post. Thanks for sharing. 💙
  • IamMicah
    IamMicah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    For the meatloaf every Wednesday night. Duh.

You mean Taco night ;)
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    Today is my 26th wedding anniversary. I've been thinking about this thread since I first saw it yesterday. There is a wide variety of reasons to get married, as varied as the personalities of the people getting married.
    For me the marriage is a promise, the wedding itself was our way of letting our family and friends be a part of our promise. The vows that we took and the witnesses that were there with us when we took those vows had a much deeper meaning than "just a piece of paper". Over the last 26 years we have come very close to calling it quits more than once, but we have always managed to remember that we made a promise to one another to love each other for better or worse and we are just as happy today as we were on this day 26 years ago!

Does this answer the OP's many questions? probably not, but as I read through this thread I realized that the OP didn't really want an answer and honestly, alot of people have a very cynical attitude concerning marriage that would take way more than my little post to overcome.

congratulations! ❤️

i wonder though, if you'd responded to the question during one of those difficult times would your answer be different.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Today is my 26th wedding anniversary. I've been thinking about this thread since I first saw it yesterday. There is a wide variety of reasons to get married, as varied as the personalities of the people getting married.
    For me the marriage is a promise, the wedding itself was our way of letting our family and friends be a part of our promise. The vows that we took and the witnesses that were there with us when we took those vows had a much deeper meaning than "just a piece of paper". Over the last 26 years we have come very close to calling it quits more than once, but we have always managed to remember that we made a promise to one another to love each other for better or worse and we are just as happy today as we were on this day 26 years ago!

Does this answer the OP's many questions? probably not, but as I read through this thread I realized that the OP didn't really want an answer and honestly, alot of people have a very cynical attitude concerning marriage that would take way more than my little post to overcome.

congratulations! ❤️

i wonder though, if you'd responded to the question during one of those difficult times would your answer be different.

I don't think so. We have never separated, we have yelled and said hurtful things and even done things that were hurtful. There have definitely been times when we weren't as happy as we were on our wedding day, but we chose each other to fight through this crazy life with and we have learned a LOT as we basically grew up together from 19 years old to now. I think the reason we didn't call it quits, even when it seemed inevitable, is because we did make that promise to each other and we truly love one another enough to fight through the *kitten*! Even as the word "divorce" crossed our lips (thankfully never coming to fruition), that day 26 years ago was about the love and the promise we made to each other and all the bad times cannot erase the much more prevalent good times!

I love stories like this!!!
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I liked being married the first time around, to someone I (in hindsight) just liked & was compatible with.
    So when I met someone I truly & deeply loved, I felt like I definitely "had to". I don't regret it for a second!

Originally, I wanted to get married because I am monogamous by nature & like feeling accepted by my community as a family unit despite not having kids or being religious.
    Marriage ticks that box for a lot of people and made my life easier (in my twenties & at work especially).

I also think my amicable divorce made me less gunshy about a second marriage.

This makes sense to me
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

congratulations! ❤️

I don't think so. We have never separated, we have yelled and said hurtful things and even done things that were hurtful. There have definitely been times when we weren't as happy as we were on our wedding day, but we chose each other to fight through this crazy life with and we have learned a LOT as we basically grew up together from 19 years old to now. I think the reason we didn't call it quits, even when it seemed inevitable, is because we did make that promise to each other and we truly love one another enough to fight through the *kitten*! Even as the word "divorce" crossed our lips (thankfully never coming to fruition), that day 26 years ago was about the love and the promise we made to each other and all the bad times cannot erase the much more prevalent good times!

Thank you for answering. I admit, I don’t understand your point of view, but I respect it and I’m happy for you.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    And he doesn't snore, so that's nice....

I might even marry again if I found one of those!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question... wish I had an answer for you! :laugh:
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options

congratulations! ❤️

Thank you for answering. I admit, I don’t understand your point of view, but I respect it and I’m happy for you.

If you don't understand my viewpoint with what I've told you so far, let me throw this in the mix: we had our first date in April 1993, he asked me to marry him in May 1993, I said no the first time, but a week later when he asked again i said yes, and we got married Sept 25, 1993. The odds have been stacked against us from the beginning, we were way too young and we had not known each other nearly long enough! But somehow we've made it this far!!
    I will tell you though that I'm so glad none of our children came to us when they were 19 or 20 and told us they wanted to marry some person they had only known for a month!!
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

congratulations! ❤️

If you don't understand my viewpoint with what I've told you so far, let me throw this in the mix: we had our first date in April 1993, he asked me to marry him in May 1993, I said no the first time, but a week later when he asked again i said yes, and we got married Sept 25, 1993. The odds have been stacked against us from the beginning, we were way too young and we had not known each other nearly long enough! But somehow we've made it this far!!
    I will tell you though that I'm so glad none of our children came to us when they were 19 or 20 and told us they wanted to marry some person they had only known for a month!!

It’s a story of perseverance for sure ❤️