Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    dead horse + baseball bat = this thread
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I know i feel 100% better limiting my carb intake to fruits and vegs for the most part but they will never know because they wont even give it a try!!!!

I feel great now. I am healthy according to all medical tests I've had (and when you are in your 50's they run a LOT). I don't need to feel better. I'm not trying to argue, but I am very curious why you think I should try something different when I already have a diet that that keeps me healthy and I enjoy. In all seriousness, does that seem logical to you?

In all seriousness, you could feel even better.... what would it hurt to try!!! But you are an adult and can make your own decisions, i just think its funny your so against it, it could change your life for the better!!! I thought i felt good before too, but feel even better now!!! Thats my point, if you try it and it doesnt work then you can say its not for you!!! Whatever the case good luck in your journey!!!

Against "it". I'm not sure what "it" you refer to. Against a low carb diet? I'm not against it for anyone other than me. I am against it for me because I LIKE carbs and they are keeping me healthy so it makes no sense to give up something I like for no reason other than the possibility that I might still be healthy. I'm not on a journey, I've already lost the 25 lbs I wanted to lose so you know the old phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it". That's me. I'm fit, healthy, back down to the size I want to be. Life is great. Who tries to fix great?

You dont know if carbs like you or are making you healthy because youve never done without them.... im talking pastas, breads, and things like that not vegs & fruits!!! But whatever Bravo.... ive surpassed my goals for the record and lost over 40lbs!!! I was healthy before limiting carbs but im even healthier now and why wouldnt anyone want to be healthier if they could be!!! And if your not still on the journey why are you still here??? Life is a journey and so is your diet...... if your done losing you should change your ticker also cause it says you still have 7lbs to go!!!! But hey your 50 years old so we all know you know better than the rest of us!!! Signing off!!!!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Agree!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know i feel 100% better limiting my carb intake to fruits and vegs for the most part but they will never know because they wont even give it a try!!!!

I feel great now. I am healthy according to all medical tests I've had (and when you are in your 50's they run a LOT). I don't need to feel better. I'm not trying to argue, but I am very curious why you think I should try something different when I already have a diet that that keeps me healthy and I enjoy. In all seriousness, does that seem logical to you?

In all seriousness, you could feel even better.... what would it hurt to try!!! But you are an adult and can make your own decisions, i just think its funny your so against it, it could change your life for the better!!! I thought i felt good before too, but feel even better now!!! Thats my point, if you try it and it doesnt work then you can say its not for you!!! Whatever the case good luck in your journey!!!

Against "it". I'm not sure what "it" you refer to. Against a low carb diet? I'm not against it for anyone other than me. I am against it for me because I LIKE carbs and they are keeping me healthy so it makes no sense to give up something I like for no reason other than the possibility that I might still be healthy. I'm not on a journey, I've already lost the 25 lbs I wanted to lose so you know the old phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it". That's me. I'm fit, healthy, back down to the size I want to be. Life is great. Who tries to fix great?

You dont know if carbs like you or are making you healthy because youve never done without them.... im talking pastas, breads, and things like that not vegs & fruits!!! But whatever Bravo.... ive surpassed my goals for the record and lost over 40lbs!!! I was healthy before limiting carbs but im even healthier now and why wouldnt anyone want to be healthier if they could be!!! And if your not still on the journey why are you still here??? Life is a journey and so is your diet...... if your done losing you should change your ticker also cause it says you still have 7lbs to go!!!! But hey your 50 years old so we all know you know better than the rest of us!!! Signing off!!!!

That first line makes no sense. If I eat carbs and I'm healthy then carbs are one of the things making me healthy. Common sense. I eat pasta and bread occasionally but more often I eat brown or wild rice, quinoa, barley, oats, etc. I don't see how my diet is a journey. It's just the food I eat.

I didn't know I had a ticker so can't say much about that. I suppose it's based on the random weight I entered when I started this site??? I just made something up because I wasn't concerned about a weight but it made me enter something to set up an account. I wanted to be a size and to get the healthy checkup. I don't care what I weigh as long as I fit in my skinny jeans and get a healthy checkup. :smile:
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options

Agree!!!

that is too funny. I actually find it quite entertaining watching everyone go back and forth about this issue. and getting so upset over it. I love to see the passion behind everyone's view point!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have found that very low carbs actually make people depressed.

Definitely. Carbs help you regulate your hormones, so in general women who are low carbing get much worse PMS symptoms than they do when they eat a balanced diet.

Actually carbs will make you depressed and fats lift depression due to the seratonin levels in the brain - need fats over carbs.

And it is mightly funny that I can pull about a 100 or more women together with the whole opposite reaction than what you are speaking of with the PMS symptoms.

My symptoms (and we are talking PMDD symtpoms) have for the most part went away.

Our bodies respond better to higher fat intake than a higher carb intake.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have found that very low carbs actually make people depressed.

Definitely. Carbs help you regulate your hormones, so in general women who are low carbing get much worse PMS symptoms than they do when they eat a balanced diet.

Actually carbs will make you depressed and fats lift depression due to the seratonin levels in the brain - need fats over carbs.

And it is mightly funny that I can pull about a 100 or more women together with the whole opposite reaction than what you are speaking of with the PMS symptoms.

My symptoms (and we are talking PMDD symtpoms) have for the most part went away.

Our bodies respond better to higher fat intake than a higher carb intake.

I would like you to quote the research where you found that carbs make people depressed please. I have sources that show otherwise but I am wait for you to show first.

Thanks.

Actually, you might not respond. Here it is in pubmed, the general search yield.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=depression in vegans
  • MrsPhan11
    MrsPhan11 Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options

Agree!!!

that is too funny. I actually find it quite entertaining watching everyone go back and forth about this issue. and getting so upset over it. I love to see the passion behind everyone's view point!

I am on a two week "vacation" before I start my new job and this is wayyy better then anything that is on TV right now. LOL MFP Is sooo addicating, but dangit now I must get up to go to the DMV.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

If they link below is not good enough, try Googling the Iowa Women's Health Study (for one). You may have to pay to see the actual study and it will likely be very clinical and hard to understand if you are not a clinician.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/

An intriguing report from the Iowa Women's Health Study linked whole-grain consumption with fewer deaths from noncardiac, noncancer causes. Compared with women who rarely or never ate whole-grain foods, those who had at least two or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have died from an inflammation-related condition over a 17-year period (7).

Cardiovascular Disease
    Eating whole instead of refined grains substantially lowers total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or bad) cholesterol, triglycerides, and insulin levels. Any of these changes would be expected to reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease. In the Harvard-based Nurses' Health Study, women who ate 2 to 3 servings of whole-grain products (mostly bread and breakfast cereals) each day were 30 percent less likely to have a heart attack or die from heart disease over a 10-year period than women who ate less than 1 serving per week (1). A recent meta-analysis of seven major studies showed that cardiovascular disease (heart attack, stroke, or the need for a procedure to bypass or open a clogged artery) was 21 percent less likely in people who ate 2.5 or more servings of whole-grain foods a day compared with those who ate less than 2 servings a week (2).

Type 2 Diabetes
    In a study of more than 160,000 women whose health and dietary habits were followed for up to 18 years, those who averaged 2 to 3 servings of whole grains a day were 30 percent less likely to have developed type 2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains (3). When the researchers combined these results with those of several other large studies, they found that eating an extra 2 servings of whole grains a day decreased the risk of type 2 diabetes by 21 percent.

This study compares whole grains to refined grains. Not whole grains to no (or very reduced) grains. I don't think there's any debate that whole grains are better than refined.

You are setting up a strawman (that we're arguing that whole grains are worse than refined), and then knocking it down. No one on this thread has said that whole grains are worse, or just as bad, as refined grains. We're saying that if you're overweight, many people will find success by limiting or eliminating refined AND whole grains entirely.
  • lockef
    Options
    I would like you to quote the research where you found that carbs make people depressed please. I have sources that show otherwise but I am wait for you to show first.

Here's a study that shows higher fat diets are better for moods.

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN79_01/S0007114598000063a.pdf&code=dcabf272fda52039329e7a33e0a9df0e
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    carbs make you fat!

and give you diabetes! (if you eat too many and from the wrong sources)

Well they gave me diabetes anyway. I followed the low fat, whole grain, brown bread, brown rice diet for years and years, I continuously gained about 5-10 lbs per year, got diabetes, and high blood pressure.

I've been restricting my carbs to non-starchy veggies for one month now and my blood pressure is normal, and my blood glucose has been normal everytime I've tested this month.

So yeah do what you want, but if the low fat thing isn't working for you...you might want to look at where you get your carbs from.

Please pass the bacon!

Carbs do not give you diabetes.
  • taem
    Options

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN79_01/S0007114598000063a.pdf&code=dcabf272fda52039329e7a33e0a9df0e

File not available. [S0007114598000063a.pdf].
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

High fat doesn't mean no grain/low complex carbs.

I don't know why I bother with these debates. I honestly couldn't give a **** one way or the other about carbs. I low carb because wheat makes me feel grotty and I don't like rice or potatoes, but it's accidental. I don't think anyone should be giving blanket statements one way or the other on this, as there are plenty of people who are healthier on higher carb, whole grain diets, and plenty who are healthier on high fat/protein ones. I think body type has a lot to do with it.
  • fteale
    Options
    double post
  • taem
    Options
    Here's another source that states that low fat makes you feel better than low carb.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091109173614.htm
  • taem
    Options

I don't know why I bother with these debates. I honestly couldn't give a **** one way or the other about carbs. I low carb because wheat makes me feel grotty and I don't like rice or potatoes, but it's accidental. I don't think anyone should be giving blanket statements one way or the other on this, as there are plenty of people who are healthier on higher carb, whole grain diets, and plenty who are healthier on high fat/protein ones. I think body type has a lot to do with it.

I agree that different diets for each individual, but I'm getting tired of blanket statements as well.
  • lockef
    Options

Hmmm... that's weird. I found it on pubmed as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9505799

I'll try to see if I can find another link to the actual study.

Edit: First link
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Alterations+in+mood+after+changing+to+a+low-fat+diet.&hl=en&as_sdt=1,44&as_sdtp=on
  • fteale
    Options

I agree that different diets for each individual, but I'm getting tired of blanket statements as well.

I think we are mostly on the same page on this one. I haven't disagreed with anything you have posted.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think what this all boils down to is that everyone need to figure out what works best *for their own bodies.* If your current eating plan leaves you constantly hungry, struggling for the willpower to stay out of the fridge, exhausted, or less healthful than you were before you started, perhaps it's time for a switch.

I prefer not having to rely on my willpower to stay away from cookies and rolls. I like kicking my diet Coke habit to the curb, since I'm not constantly falling asleep on my desk. I enjoy not counting points or calories. I love being able to go to a wedding / party / restaurant without panicking that there won't be anything for me to eat (veggies, cheese, dips, and meat are pretty standard everywhere). I like traveling for work and not gaining weight, since it's no problem for me to enjoy a filet mignon and a caesar salad. I don't particularly like eating more veggies than I did before (I'm working on it!), but I know it's good for me. My doctor appreciated my weight loss, and also my bloodwork - which is significantly better than it was on a low fat, high carb diet.

There are some people who do just dandy on a high carb diet - they have no weight problem, and energy levels are fine. There are many more who are overweight, and struggle with eating low fat, whole grains since they are always hungry, tired, or sick. Those are the ones who may benefit from trying low carb for a couple of weeks.
  • taem
    Options

Hmmm... that's weird. I found it on pubmed as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9505799

I'll try to see if I can find another link to the actual study.

Edit: First link
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Alterations+in+mood+after+changing+to+a+low-fat+diet.&hl=en&as_sdt=1,44&as_sdtp=on

Thanks for the source. I think, honestly, moods will be affected during the first few months of a dietary change, and this study was a 4 month study. The paper also admits that when people switch to a low fat due to health reasons, their moods did not change for the worse. Thanks you for your source.

That study also doesn't do a comparative study low carb vs low fat, it is a lower than usual fat study. Can you show me a source that claims that a mostly fat diet improves moods?

Thanks