Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    How do people feel abou marmite?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I can see how you might like marmite. I had it once. I’m good, thanks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems

Blasphemy on a plate.
  • corinasue1143
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems
    I absolutely love it! Have about a tablespoon a year. Looking forward to this years tablespoon very soon!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    I love marmite. I one reason people may dislike it the first time that they try it, is because they use too much. You just need the thinnest smear - most delicious on hot toast and butter. If you spread it on thickly it can be very overwhelming.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Idk how anyone can hate loft house cookies. gtfo
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems

Blasphemy on a plate.
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems
    I absolutely love it! Have about a tablespoon a year. Looking forward to this years tablespoon very soon!

and there you have it...I rest my case :D
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    My "polarizing" food is cheese! I detest it in any way, shape, form, type, kind style or preparation. No, I am not lactose intolerant. I just hate the stuff. It somehow started in my childhood and I've never gotten over it and won't. If I was related to Dr. Seuss, I'd have written a "Green Eggs And Ham Verse" on cheese! Yuckity yuck yuck yuck!!!!!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    How do people feel abou marmite?

@acpgee - I’m kinda marmite neutral. I didn’t mind the taste - but it’s not something I would go out of my way to eat. My neighbors when I lived in the UK - always said you either love it or hate it!
    I’m still kinda in the middle ... but I’m also a haggis lover so I’m a the odd fellow typically :)
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems

@papyrus3 - I grew up on those cranberry logs! Then I found real cranberries and wondered - why the heck had I never had them before! Long lost little friends!
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems

Blasphemy on a plate.

@CSARdiver - LOL! I couldn’t have said it better. Haha
    What he said!

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    My "polarizing" food is cheese! I detest it in any way, shape, form, type, kind style or preparation. No, I am not lactose intolerant. I just hate the stuff. It somehow started in my childhood and I've never gotten over it and won't. If I was related to Dr. Seuss, I'd have written a "Green Eggs And Ham Verse" on cheese! Yuckity yuck yuck yuck!!!!!

Cheese hating is pretty common in China. Drinking milk of other mammals is already considered somewhat perverse. Letting it rot to make cheese is commonly considered just gross. Parents tell Chinese children that if they want to stay up late, they will have to eat cheese with the grown ups to get them to go to bed.
  • corinasue1143
    4zfectaq7118.png

I understand disagreeing with an opinion, but it’s a fact! Do you disagree that 2+2=4?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    4zfectaq7118.png

I understand disagreeing with an opinion, but it’s a fact! Do you disagree that 2+2=4?

In these food topics, it seems like "disagree" (or WOO!) often means "my opinion is different from yours" rather than "I disagree that you have that opinion."

Seems silly, but that's how I explain all the woos I got on my view that peanut butter is overrated. ;-)

Anyway, I agree on the canned cranberry stuff. I try to do all kinds of creative things with actual cranberries beginning around this time of the year and usually make some kind of cranberry sauce with them (or incorporate them into a dessert or stuffing), but someone always brings the canned stuff and I enjoy having a little of that too, although I never have had it other than on Thanksgiving.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    4zfectaq7118.png

In these food topics, it seems like "disagree" (or WOO!) often means "my opinion is different from yours" rather than "I disagree that you have that opinion."

Seems silly, but that's how I explain all the woos I got on my view that peanut butter is overrated. ;-)

Anyway, I agree on the canned cranberry stuff. I try to do all kinds of creative things with actual cranberries beginning around this time of the year and usually make some kind of cranberry sauce with them (or incorporate them into a dessert or stuffing), but someone always brings the canned stuff and I enjoy having a little of that too, although I never have had it other than on Thanksgiving.

This is one thing I didn't recognize until preparing Thanksgiving dinner and making cranberry sauce from scratch. It remains one of those just oddbal things that we do - make everything else in a traditional manner, but set a gelatinous mass on a special dish - slice it and serve it. The fact that people have a special dish for this is awesomely hilarious.
  • geraldaltman
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

You realize, of course, that Sam I Am did indeed like green eggs and ham when he finaly relented to try them.

Trying them is where Sam I Am and I will forever part company.
  • geraldaltman
    acpgee wrote: »

Cheese hating is pretty common in China. Drinking milk of other mammals is already considered somewhat perverse. Letting it rot to make cheese is commonly considered just gross. Parents tell Chinese children that if they want to stay up late, they will have to eat cheese with the grown ups to get them to go to bed.

I did not know this. Could explain why I love chinese food so much 😂
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    4zfectaq7118.png

Yes, just a variant of disagree.

I've said, for example, that I don't like cucumber and somebody disagreed.

I'm sure they meant they disagreed with my view about cucumber and they do like it. Fair enough

I'm sure they didn't mean that paperpudding actually does like cucumber in spite of me saying I don't.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    4zfectaq7118.png

Yes, just a variant of disagree.

I've said, for example, that I don't like cucumber and somebody disagreed.

I'm sure they meant they disagreed with my view about cucumber and they do like it. Fair enough

I'm sure they didn't mean that paperpudding actually does like cucumber in spite of me saying I don't.

You two need to stop it with this sound logic bologna.

Bologna, there's a food for ya. Fried, it's good.