Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    So, you also need a cup of water in addition to all the ingredients listed? And then just microwave forever?
    I'd try that. I'm in favor of the "less work" method too.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    So, you also need a cup of water in addition to all the ingredients listed? And then just microwave forever?
    I'd try that. I'm in favor of the "less work" method too.

And the almond milk isn't ALL that creamy so I wonder how it would do with 2 cups of water.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Here's Hungrygirl's version:

HG's Microwave Growing Oatmeal
    Entire recipe: 189 calories, 5g fat, 335mg sodium, 30.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 1g sugars, 6.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (NOT instant)
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda or Truvia)
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash salt
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze

Directions:
    Combine ingredients in a VERY large microwave-safe bowl (at least 10-cup capacity -- your oatmeal will bubble up while it cooks!). Mix in 1 cup water. Microwave for 12 - 15 minutes, until thick and creamy, stirring halfway through.

Let slightly cool and thicken. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

The oatmeal still cooks for a long time in the microwave, but you don't need to wait for it to boil or stir it as often. Amazing! You can use this method with any HG growing oatmeal recipe. Just don't forget to use a giant bowl. Happy breakfast-ing!

This is probably where I got the idea. I like Hungry Girl a lot.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Entire recipe: 189 calories, 5g fat, 335mg sodium, 30.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 1g sugars, 6.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

Ingredients:
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash salt

Directions:
    Combine ingredients in a VERY large microwave-safe bowl (at least 10-cup capacity -- your oatmeal will bubble up while it cooks!). Mix in 1 cup water. Microwave for 12 - 15 minutes, until thick and creamy, stirring halfway through.

MAKES 1 SERVING

The oatmeal still cooks for a long time in the microwave, but you don't need to wait for it to boil or stir it as often. Amazing! You can use this method with any HG growing oatmeal recipe. Just don't forget to use a giant bowl. Happy breakfast-ing!

This way works too! You just get more and more volume the more times you do it lol. It really thickens more if you let it completely cool or wait overnight and then reheat. You don’t really need so many times. The texture isn’t like oatmeal made the regular way, it’s very soupy and more like a edible smoothie. I hate thick oatmeal though so that’s why I enjoy it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

Ingredients:
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash salt

Directions:

MAKES 1 SERVING

This way works too! You just get more and more volume the more times you do it lol. It really thickens more if you let it completely cool or wait overnight and then reheat. You don’t really need so many times. The texture isn’t like oatmeal made the regular way, it’s very soupy and more like a edible smoothie. I hate thick oatmeal though so that’s why I enjoy it.

Me, too.
    Oatmeal is not my favorite. But when I’m hungry close to bedtime, especially in the winter, and all the calories are gone for the day, hot oatmeal soup is a pretty good choice! No heartburn, full, warm and happy when I crawl into bed.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I am not a vegetarian, but i do eat in volume. About 15 years ago i found whats called " The Warrior Diet" You basicly eat very little through out the day and eat a big meal at dinner time. I am not a breakfast person, or a lunch person, and i like coffee black so the diet works really well for me. Plus i am a firm believer of calories in, calories out, doesn't matter what time you eat or release them. A calorie is a calorie, it doesn't discriminate.
  • glassyo
    Ok, so someone do the math for me. Instead of 40 grams of oatmeal, I would do 28 grams. How much would I have to reduce the 2 cups of liquid to?
  • glassyo
    Ok, so someone do the math for me. Instead of 40 grams of oatmeal, I would do 28 grams. How much would I have to reduce the 2 cups of liquid to?

Nevermind, I reread some posts. @Noreenmarie1234 you still use the 2 cups? I would want it thicker tho.
  • Noreenmarie1234

Nevermind, I reread some posts. @Noreenmarie1234 you still use the 2 cups? I would want it thicker tho.

If you want it to be thicker, I would definitely use less. Ratio works out to be 1.4c instead of 2 if you follow the 2c/40g recipe.
  • emilykharrison92
    emilykharrison92 Posts: 1 Member
    This is something I do! My average day is something like this.

Breakfast:
    1. Yogurt, apple or pear, Egg sandwich on whole wheat english muffin

Snack: protein shake (I love Ideal Shakes)

Lunch:
    1. One acorn squash with parmesan cheese and pepper
    2. One bag of frozen mixed vegetables with homemade tomato sauce and parm
    3. Zoodles with turkey meatballs and homemade red sauce
    4. Spaghetti squash with homemade Alfredo and grilled chicken
    5. Large turkey or tuna salad with ceasar or mustard dressing with tomato, cucumber, avacado, and cottage cheese

If I pick 1-4 I usually eat a side spinach salad

Snack: large red or yellow pepper, 14-20 baby carrots with hummus, popcorn

Dinner: grilled protein with vegetables and rice or baked potato or sweet potato fries

Dessert: Protein chocolate banana nice cream, dollap of whipped cream, rasberries or strawberries.

Total of about 1400 calories. I try to eat csrb heavier days on work out days and far heavy days on non workout days.

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I make volume oatmeal, but no xantham gum. I use 50 or so grams of oatmeal, add about 1 cup of water, microwave 3 minutes on low, stir, add another cup or so of water, microwave on high til all hot and soupy. Make it in a serving bowl.

Well thats easy but I for one would not want to eat this. Oatmeal for me should be nice and thick.

Ahhh yes that makes sense then. I don't like my oatmeal thick.

What if you let it rest like normal sized oatmeal? Would it thicken up then? I like the idea but not the way too many steps version. :p

I make my oatmeal in instant pot the night before, for two days. I use about 75-80 g of old fashioned oats, 2 1/4 cups of water, couple of dashes of salt. Set on high pressure for 10 minutes, leave there until next morning. In the morning i split it into two bowls, one goes in the fridge for next day. One gets microwaved for 2.5 minutes. I don't add any more water, it's nice and thick but i need it bubbling hot because i add some frozen fruit later on top. This way my breakfast is still hot. I season it with whatever i feel like, usually the peppery spice mixes. And it gets topped with a good spoonful of Greek yogurt.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Tonight I am going to make it the way I typically make it with quick oats pockets and then using this long method. See what the difference is. I will measure the final results in cups to see what I end up with.
    My current method is:
    Quaker cinnamon apple baggie into a bowl and add 1 cup water.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke and watch. When it start so boil over turn off.
    This basically doubles the volume and is still thick. I top it with fruit.

I don’t think there will be any difference between the way you describe making it above and nuking for longer.

It really doesn’t matter how long each time it’s nuked but how many times you repeat and how much extra water and xanthum gum you add. I just added my times for reference but the time nuked doesn’t really matter.

It gives same result if you just keep doing 1 extra minute at a time, cooling, and re microwaving.

More important also is the xanthum. If you add xanthum then you will see you can get it to become more volume than just the plain oat and water way because you can keep the thickness and add more and more water each time.
  • kelly_c_77
    Tonight I am going to make it the way I typically make it with quick oats pockets and then using this long method. See what the difference is. I will measure the final results in cups to see what I end up with.
    My current method is:
    Quaker cinnamon apple baggie into a bowl and add 1 cup water.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke 1min. Stir.
    Nuke and watch. When it start so boil over turn off.
    This basically doubles the volume and is still thick. I top it with fruit.

How many grams of oats is that? 28g like Noreen's was?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Ok so I tried the xanthan gum method. Now I see what's happening. It only gets thick with this much volume of liquid because of the gum as that is the thickener. In theory you could even double this volume if you double the amount of liquid and xanthan gum. Hanthan gum will thicken as the mix stands and then kind of magically liquify when you stir it again. So to sum it up, 4 cups water with 1tsp xanthan gum and 31g pouch of oats will net you almost 5 cups of oats, but the texture is not like oats cooked with the proper amount of liquid. For those seeking volume, this might work. I always go for taste and texture first, and this is not for me.

Pro tip. Instead of cooking this in the freezer simply mix in cup of ice cubes and stirr to cool down. Heat up and repeat with ice.

Did basically the same thing - only used 10 grams of oats - lots of water (maybe 3/4 -1 cups?) and .5 tsp-.75 tsp of xanthan. It just, like you mentioned 'thickens' it. It basically just turned into a 'globby pudding' thing...might be more like a bowl of oatmeal if I lowered the water and a bit more oatmeal.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Ok so I tried the xanthan gum method. Now I see what's happening. It only gets thick with this much volume of liquid because of the gum as that is the thickener. In theory you could even double this volume if you double the amount of liquid and xanthan gum. Hanthan gum will thicken as the mix stands and then kind of magically liquify when you stir it again. So to sum it up, 4 cups water with 1tsp xanthan gum and 31g pouch of oats will net you almost 5 cups of oats, but the texture is not like oats cooked with the proper amount of liquid. For those seeking volume, this might work. I always go for taste and texture first, and this is not for me.

Pro tip. Instead of cooking this in the freezer simply mix in cup of ice cubes and stirr to cool down. Heat up and repeat with ice.

Did basically the same thing - only used 10 grams of oats - lots of water (maybe 3/4 -1 cups?) and .5 tsp-.75 tsp of xanthan. It just, like you mentioned 'thickens' it. It basically just turned into a 'globby pudding' thing...might be more like a bowl of oatmeal if I lowered the water and a bit more oatmeal.

m83eo5axohxm.jpg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    hsazsdnyv8yb.jpeg
    Made a stir fry again with that rice. 30 calories of rice, 40 calories bell pepper onion mix, 15 calories radish, added Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, 10 calories teriyaki sauce, some stevia, no salt salt. Excellent huge plate for 100 calories.
  • kelly_c_77
    Where did you find that rice?
  • kellyflurry
    kellyflurry Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a volume eater as well. If i go out to eat, i have to pregame and eat a salad at home before i go to dinner. That way at restaurant when i order a salad there, i wont be still hungry. By doing this i feel i had my regular portion of dinner salad at home, which is usually a bag of lettace per salad. Feeling full makes me happy. I hate stopping when you're still hungry. I rather eat a bag of lettace and get a full feeling vs 1 slice of pizza and want more.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited December 2019
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.