November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber for setting up the thread.
    Congrats @ACSL3!

I'm going to aim for 70 miles this month.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    Thanks all!
    1. work with doggo to get her better on leash when running (she has a tendency to lag behind and try to eat every plant, piece of garbage and rock we pass - which is a lot given all landscape is rock).

We have a couple of dogs and I think the dalmatian mix would love to run with me but he definitely needs training first! He's way too energetic and likes to crisscross in front of me when we walk. Got a leash with two handles (one at the end like a normal leash and one just after the clip so I can keep him beside me) - I'm hoping it will help.
    The lab mix likes to sniff and/or pee on everything so not sure he would be the best running buddy :wink:

That is the type of leash we have. I am using the lower handle to get her to run next to me. Last night a few times I moved my hand up the leash a bit (not to the top handle) and tested her. She's doing better but still wants to run behind or eat plants when given too much space. I also start by having her sit on my left side and give her a training treat. I stop every mile or so and repeat. I also say "no, let's run, good girl" when she tries to eat something and then keeps running.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber Yup, I have the hands free leash. We use it for hiking with her as well. It's so much easier.

I can't keep treats in my hands LOL Shadow would be attacking my hand the whole time! She is very food motivated. I assume it stems from her time as a stray and not having a lot of food available.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    So both resident dogs are trained to run in front of me and it's a "job" for them. They were just not very good at heel bumping into me too much. Foster dogs i try to teach both.
    They learned right, left, leave it, get it (go faster), slow, walk, move over, come here. It being a job helps keep them focused.
    Cuddler tries to hold it till we finish running. Speed demon will get ahead and pee so she doesn't disrupt the pace. Only fly by sniffing allowed.
    I don't do treats since neither are really food motivated.
    It helped a lot. Cuddler was VERY leash reactive. Speed Demon was terrified of everything. Running and walking is much less stressful now.
    toqr6ayxym7l.jpg

Shadow knows right left and straight. We use them when hiking too. She's smart.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    So both resident dogs are trained to run in front of me and it's a "job" for them. They were just not very good at heel bumping into me too much. Foster dogs i try to teach both.
    They learned right, left, leave it, get it (go faster), slow, walk, move over, come here. It being a job helps keep them focused.
    Cuddler tries to hold it till we finish running. Speed demon will get ahead and pee so she doesn't disrupt the pace. Only fly by sniffing allowed.
    I don't do treats since neither are really food motivated.
    It helped a lot. Cuddler was VERY leash reactive. Speed Demon was terrified of everything. Running and walking is much less stressful now.
    toqr6ayxym7l.jpg

Shadow knows right left and straight. We use them when hiking too. She's smart.

Hobbes knows as well, we use them for agility so he knows as he jumps which way to go because I am typically behind him :) Or if he has to go around a certain side of a jump. I use let's go for faster, slow, and stop also 'with me' if he decides to go off on his own, especially useful at agility when I need him to stay next to me for some part of a course. There are other agility commands that we practice at times on walks like a specific type of stop (boom) with his hind paws on an obstacle and his front off, around when he needs to go around an obstacle, typically a jump, etc.

@mbaker566 - I LOVE that picture and want to come run there too!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Oh, at when I say *kitten*, I mean male. Such pretty birds.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    40mph winds for the trick or treaters tonight. Should be interesting :)