November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    40mph winds for the trick or treaters tonight. Should be interesting :)

The witches won't need their broomsticks to fly....

@TheMrWobbly thanks!

Final little run before the race this morning. I have failed dismally at hitting either my 'just finish before the sweeper' or my PR target paces, so it remains to be seen what actually happens on Sunday.
    I read somewhere about the 10-10-10 strategy for marathons and am intending to embrace the reduced version of that. Basically it says run the first 10 miles (or 5 in my case) with your head (in other words hold back), the next 10 (or 5) with your legs and training and the final 10k (or 5k) with your heart (aka go get it!). Will report on that on Monday!

I set myself a goal of 120km for October with a stretch goal of 134km. I've run 143.64km so guess that was a win. Words cannot express how hard it was this morning for me to remember I'm tapering and not keep going to make it a round 145.

On the topic of our Saturday-Sunday miles for Kevin, there are still some empty slots but it doesn't really matter. The point was that the last goal for this year that @MobyCarp had spoken of was the New York marathon, and as he can't run it we will run for him on the day. I was unable to take part in the tribute runs for Dennis, but vaguely remember t Anyone remember what or know how to do it?
    That was @Orphia. Maybe she’ll pop in? Or she’s got the FB group if you are a part of that.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Looking forward...

So given that it is the November Thread, anyone else has plans for 2020?

Hey! Great monthly question!

I’m keeping it loose: no plans.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Try a new class, like boxing or parkour. AND join a barbell club

A PARKOUR CLASS WOULD BE AWESOME. Wonder if there are any cheap yet good ones near me. This spring would be a good time after I have like 4 or 6 months of anti-t-rex
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Looking forward...

So given that it is the November Thread, anyone else has plans for 2020?

Hey! Great monthly question!

I’m keeping it loose: no plans.

Tonnes of plans for spring... only time (and the grumpy old legs) will tell whether I can actually do them all!
    In a perfect world I want to do a trail HM on Feb 28, I'm already signed up for a big road HM on March 22, then at Easter we're hiking the final 110km or so of St James' Way.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hello all and hanks @shanaber for setting this up.

I think my aim for November is just to get back to running regularly. October was a bit of a slow one due to illness/laziness after my first HM. Hopefully this most recent cold will go so I can breathe properly again and I can get back to a routine.

Plans for 2020? I'm hoping to sign up for more races, rather than my usual one a year. A few 5k/10k's and maybe a half marathon or 2!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My definite race plans for 2020:

4/5/2020 - Hauser Lake Icebreaker - 10k
    5/3/2020 - Lilac Bloomsday Run - 12k

Possibles:

3/22/2020 - Rapid Rabbit Run - 5k or 5 miles
    4/19/2020 - Spokane River Run - trail 5k or 10k
    5/17/2020 - Windermere Half*
    5/24/2020 - Coeur d'Alene Half*
    7/18/2020 - Mount Spokane Vertical Challenge - trail 10k
    10/7/2020 - Wild Moose Chase - trail 5k or 10k
    10/13/2020 - Spokane Half**

*one or the other, not both
    **big maybe

There are other possibles too but I don't have those written down. I suspect I'll only choose to run a couple of the possibles. I've done all of the 5k's listed here at least once before. A HM in May would be my first, since I DNS this year's in August. How that goes will determine the likelihood of signing up for the one in October.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    40mph winds for the trick or treaters tonight. Should be interesting :)

On the topic of our Saturday-Sunday miles for Kevin, there are still some empty slots but it doesn't really matter. The point was that the last goal for this year that @MobyCarp had spoken of was the New York marathon, and as he can't run it we will run for him on the day. I was unable to take part in the tribute runs for Dennis, but vaguely remember someone did something on Strava? Anyone remember what or know how to do it?

I will be out 6am on Sunday morning GMT. Which is either 1am or 2am EST. Anyway put me down for an hour.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    On the topic of our Saturday-Sunday miles for Kevin, there are still some empty slots but it doesn't really matter. The point was that the last goal for this year that @MobyCarp had spoken of was the New York marathon, and as he can't run it we will run for him on the day. I was unable to take part in the tribute runs for Dennis, but vaguely remember someone did something on Strava? Anyone remember what or know how to do it?

Orphia kept the master list, and it was me who set up the Strava thing. Mostly I was aiming for some sort of visualization like a flyby that would go all around the world showing the 24 hours. But I never really got it to work. Not everyone is going to have a GPS file, and I had to download all the files we had, then change the times on all of the files, then re-upload to get it to line up right... and the flyby had to be zoomed out so far they were meaningless, OR you could zoom in but then had to manually move around on the map. I'm not convinced it was worth the work, unless someone else has better computer skills than me and wants to try something. I also wonder if anyone has access to @MobyCarp's actual Strava account.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    So both resident dogs are trained to run in front of me and it's a "job" for them. They were just not very good at heel bumping into me too much. Foster dogs i try to teach both.
    They learned right, left, leave it, get it (go faster), slow, walk, move over, come here. It being a job helps keep them focused.
    Cuddler tries to hold it till we finish running. Speed demon will get ahead and pee so she doesn't disrupt the pace. Only fly by sniffing allowed.
    I don't do treats since neither are really food motivated.
    It helped a lot. Cuddler was VERY leash reactive. Speed Demon was terrified of everything. Running and walking is much less stressful now.
    toqr6ayxym7l.jpg

Shadow knows right left and straight. We use them when hiking too. She's smart.

Hobbes knows as well, we use them for agility so he knows as he jumps which way to go because I am typically behind him :) Or if he has to go around a certain side of a jump. I use let's go for faster, slow, and stop also 'with me' if he decides to go off on his own, especially useful at agility when I need him to stay next to me for some part of a course. There are other agility commands that we practice at times on walks like a specific type of stop (boom) with his hind paws on an obstacle and his front off, around when he needs to go around an obstacle, typically a jump, etc.

@mbaker566 - I LOVE that picture and want to come run there too!!

I want to make Shadow a mini agility course in the backyard. She's too smart and has too much energy I feel we need to do something with her. She loves running and hiking though and it's really helped her energy level and behavior.