November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Plans for 2020:

1. Be in overweight BMI Category before Summer.
    2. Run in an actual organised race, -parkrun counts.
    3. Keep running regularly.

Seems a bit of a stretch!

Not a stretch! You can do it! And don’t feel like you have to be at a certain weight to sign up for an organized race, I did my first half while I was still in the obese BMI category and there were lots of people my size and bigger :)

There is even a category for "big" runners in many races that you can try and place in if you miss your age group. :)
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Good luck and have a blast!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Well its official. I'm crazy. At the last minute (yesterday li agreed to be part of a team doing a relay race around our mountain (pic for context). We start the relay at 11pm tonight. My first leg will be 9.4k at approximately 5am. My second leg will be 6k about an hr after that.

Sooo glad I got up to 10k a week ago haha

I'm really looking forward to this!
    rkwhcmn4gqi4.jpg

Awesome looking place! Have fun!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Well its official. I'm crazy. At the last minute (yesterday li agreed to be part of a team doing a relay race around our mountain (pic for context). We start the relay at 11pm tonight. My first leg will be 9.4k at approximately 5am. My second leg will be 6k about an hr after that.

rkwhcmn4gqi4.jpg

Yay you. I've always wanted to do the race around Taranaki. I hope the weather behaves for you!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

rkwhcmn4gqi4.jpg

Yay you. I've always wanted to do the race around Taranaki. I hope the weather behaves for you!

Windy. Sigh
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Plans for 2020:

Not a stretch! You can do it! And don’t feel like you have to be at a certain weight to sign up for an organized race, I did my first half while I was still in the obese BMI category and there were lots of people my size and bigger :)

There is even a category for "big" runners in many races that you can try and place in if you miss your age group. :)

Really? I've never seen that in any race around here.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding @ACSL3 ! Wishing you many happy and healthy years together. Sounds like you're starting out on the right track...pun intended. :wink:
  • PastorVincent
    edited November 2019
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Plans for 2020:

Really? I've never seen that in any race around here.

Yep. For example from the Pittsburgh Marathon:
    What are the requirements to compete in the Clydesdale/Athena division?

The Clydesdale/Athena division is a weight division for male and female runners competing the
    marathon or half marathon. To be eligible, male and female competitors must weigh-in at the GNC Live
    Well Health and Fitness Expo during operating hours on race weekend.

The Clydesdale division is open to men over 200 pounds and the Athena division is open to women over
    150 pounds. Awards will be given to the top two males and female in both the “Under 40” and “Over
    40” categories in the Marathon and Half Marathon events.

I only have seen it in the big races, but I have not really looked much since it does not apply to me or my wife.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I tried to pull up the spreadsheet to see what time slots were needing to be filled for the @MobyCarp tribute a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't see it. Is there anything during the daylight hours in the USA Eastern Time Zone? I might could fill one if there is.

@7lenny7 Great video. I did see the guy in the tie. You might have been in the group at the beginning, with the headlamps. It was hard to tell who was who in the dark. Congratulations to your son's team! That's fantastic!

@Avidkeo Congratulations on keeping your weight off for two years. That's major in my book. That looks like an awesome place for a race. Enjoy!

I'm going to set a goal of 50 miles again. Thanksgiving plans will probably put a dent in the mileage that I should be doing.

I have a question. I have been following the Jeff Galloway 10K plan with no actual 10K planned. I was just doing it to have a plan that would increase my mileage and fitness. The plan ends on 1 Dec with a 10K. It has the 2 weeks before as taper weeks (weeks of 11 and 18 Nov). Since I am NOT going to be running a 10K the first of Dec, but will very likely be running a 5K on Dec 7th, should I cut back on the mileage and finish the plan as it is written? Or, should I concentrate on maybe fewer, faster miles in Nov? I guess I really should've figured this out before setting my goal, huh? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your son and his team @7lenny7! That is a fantastic achievement!!

@quilteryoyo - I have never tapered for anything under a HM. Doesn't mean you shouldn't but for a 5K maybe just cut back a bit the week before the race so your legs feel fresh. I would continue with the plan and maybe repeat the last week before the taper. You could also add in a tempo run or a 5k pace run each week just to see how the faster pace feels.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins I tried to pull up the spreadsheet to see what time slots were needing to be filled for the @MobyCarp tribute a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't see it. Is there anything during the daylight hours in the USA Eastern Time Zone? I might could fill one if there is.

I'm going to set a goal of 50 miles again. Thanksgiving plans will probably put a dent in the mileage that I should be doing.

I have a question. I have been following the Jeff Galloway 10K plan with no actual 10K planned. I was just doing it to have a plan that would increase my mileage and fitness. The plan ends on 1 Dec with a 10K. It has the 2 weeks before as taper weeks (weeks of 11 and 18 Nov). Since I am NOT going to be running a 10K the first of Dec, but will very likely be running a 5K on Dec 7th, should I cut back on the mileage and finish the plan as it is written? Or, should I concentrate on maybe fewer, faster miles in Nov? I guess I really should've figured this out before setting my goal, huh? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well. The answer lies in where you are in the training. And what do you want to do?

Option 1. Stay the course with the training plan, run the 5k. Rest, recover and run

Option 2. Revisit the previous week, no cut back and push through as if training is continuous.

Option 3. ... Something I hadn't thought of or just forgot. i think my cat gave me his cold.

Questions
    -Do you want a PR? Option 1
    -How much training have you absorbed? Do you need a cut back for a 5k? You shouldn't, but if you do then do it.
    -Where are you going from here? Are you building miles? Option 2, but remember cut back weeks. Or are you ready to move into speed work? I'd definitely put that off until after a race. Speed work is a good way to get injured.

What feels right? (Not of my choices,), but what plan feels right to you? That'll be the one.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,444 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your son and his team @7lenny7. That picture looks like a young @7lenny7 (8lenny8?? 😁)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@7lenny7 Great video. I did see the guy in the tie. You might have been in the group at the beginning, with the headlamps. It was hard to tell who was who in the dark. Congratulations to your son's team! That's fantastic!

@Avidkeo Congratulations on keeping your weight off for two years. That's major in my book. That looks like an awesome place for a race. Enjoy!

@Elise4270 is right when she says it depends on what you want to do. Let me state it this way...

For now, run one of the tapper weeks as a cut back week. And start your new plan instead of the last week of the 10k plan.

Mid term:
    Do you want to build distance? If so look for a 15k or a 10 miler training plan to start.
    Do you want to build speed? Look for a new 10k plan that is more advanced and push yourself a little harder
    Do you want to maintain what you have? Repeat the last 1/2 of the plan, but push every run a bit harder than your first time through

As for your 5k race, if you can run 10k now you probably can just "tapper" by resting the 2 days before the 5k and be fine. I think you can pretty much ignore the 5k race in your planning here outside of a couple of days rest before, and maybe after if you need it (take this by feel).

• Avidkeo
    Options
    Do bandaid help with blisters? I went for a 5k walk today, no special socks and have a tender spot under the pad of my big toe/head of 1st Metatarsal. So given im doing a 10k run in around 14hrs, though I'll be wearing proper socks and shoes which have never given me blisters before.

I'll be fine, right?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Do bandaid help with blisters? I went for a 5k walk today, no special socks and have a tender spot under the pad of my big toe/head of 1st Metatarsal. So given im doing a 10k run in around 14hrs, though I'll be wearing proper socks and shoes which have never given me blisters before.

I'll be fine, right?

What I do:

I AM NOT A DOCTOR AND IF THIS KILLS YOU THAT IS WHAT YOU GET FOR TAKING RANDOM ADVICE ON THE INTERNET

Drain the blister, cover in triple-antibiotic, and put a bandaid on. Then I run as normal.

Doctors say not to do this as it risks infection. That is how you know I am not a doctor. :)

Why can't we have a laugh our *kitten* off button!

I think im panicking over nothing. Its that "sore but not a blister yet" feel... Sp probably perfect in 12 hrs