November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Gahhh I tried to post this from my phone this morning but it was before coffee so OF COURSE it didn't post....

Can we talk safety gear for running?

I'm female and run alone, both at night and on trails. I'm getting some feedback from loved ones that I need to stop being an idiot and find some measures of protection should anything unfortunate arise - attackers, wildlife, predators, getting hit by a car, falling....... (naturally, I fell asleep last night thinking about getting mauled by a mountain lion)....

I've seen the run angel wristlet, but what about like if I need to actually DEFEND myself? Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all use?

I suggest getting an app with emergency contact. I pay for Strava to get the Beacon and when I start a run it sends a link to my emergency contact so he can track my run. It also sends a notice if I don't move for a while (not sure how long, never tested that part LOL).

Other than that I wear reflective clothes and carry a light. I've been told by police, probation and other LEO that the best defense is being aware. Acknowledge everyone you see. Run with no or one ear bud. Most people want an easy target. If they know you've seen them they will most likely move on. For example the other night an old man on a bike stopped and waited for me and the dog, turned around and started following me. I looked back at him several times while texting a description of him and my location to my BF. The guy realized it and went back the way he was originally going. I take pictures of cars and license plates that slow down and pass me multiple times and text them to my BF. I would rather be safe and look paranoid then have no evidence if something were to happen. SSDGM and F*** Politeness.

Haha super smart! I was looking at these cool bone conduction headphones - they allow you to hear your surroundings while also listening to music. I just told a coworker, "My goal is to be able to effectively gut my opponent should the need arise," which I realize makes me sound insane. What about a stun gun?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Gahhh I tried to post this from my phone this morning but it was before coffee so OF COURSE it didn't post....

I'm female and run alone, both at night and on trails. I'm getting some feedback from loved ones that I need to stop being an idiot and find some measures of protection should anything unfortunate arise - attackers, wildlife, predators, getting hit by a car, falling....... (naturally, I fell asleep last night thinking about getting mauled by a mountain lion)....

I've seen the run angel wristlet, but what about like if I need to actually DEFEND myself? Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all use?

I suggest getting an app with emergency contact. I pay for Strava to get the Beacon and when I start a run it sends a link to my emergency contact so he can track my run. It also sends a notice if I don't move for a while (not sure how long, never tested that part LOL).

Other than that I wear reflective clothes and carry a light. I've been told by police, probation and other LEO that the best defense is being aware. Acknowledge everyone you see. Run with no or one ear bud. Most people want an easy target. If they know you've seen them they will most likely move on. For example the other night an old man on a bike stopped and waited for me and the dog, turned around and started following me. I looked back at him several times while texting a description of him and my location to my BF. The guy realized it and went back the way he was originally going. I take pictures of cars and license plates that slow down and pass me multiple times and text them to my BF. I would rather be safe and look paranoid then have no evidence if something were to happen. SSDGM and F*** Politeness.

@Camaramandy648 - I agree with @RunsOnEspresso. If you have an iPhone you can have a friend or family member (or multiple) set up in Find my Friend without needing a separate app. They don't need to have an iPhone for it to work either. My husband has a Droid phone and he can track me. I also take pictures of cars, license plates and people. I typically run with my dog and that helps too. I make it a point to look at and say hello to everyone I see along the way. Fortunately when I did have a problem and didn't have the pup with me I found other people walking and stayed with them and the guy went the other way. I reported him and he was arrested. Apparently he had accosted another woman on the trail. I often see women walking/running looking down at the ground or at their phones and not really paying attention. It is unsafe for so many reasons even just to know there are bikes and runners come at you or from behind. I have stopped a few that I see frequently to mention that they should look up and be aware of their surroundings.
    As far as animals go we had a dog that would get out of its yard and chase people along our trail. The animal control officer recommended noise as the biggest deterrent for dogs and coyotes which we have frequently. I got a small air horn at our local marine shop that I can easily hook on a pack or waist belt when I am running alone. I wouldn't want to use it when I have Hobbes with me though.

ETA - I have the Trekz bone conducting headphones and love them. It took a bit to get used to the other sounds (like the sound of my footfalls) but once I did I won't go back to regular headphones.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@Camaramandy648 - I agree with @RunsOnEspresso. If you have an iPhone you can have a friend or family member (or multiple) set up in Find my Friend without needing a separate app. They don't need to have an iPhone for it to work either. My husband has a Droid phone and he can track me. I also take pictures of cars, license plates and people. I typically run with my dog and that helps too. I make it a point to look at and say hello to everyone I see along the way. Fortunately when I did have a problem and didn't have the pup with me I found other people walking and stayed with them and the guy went the other way. I reported him and he was arrested. Apparently he had accosted another woman on the trail. I often see women walking/running looking down at the ground or at their phones and not really paying attention. It is unsafe for so many reasons even just to know there are bikes and runners come at you or from behind. I have stopped a few that I see frequently to mention that they should look up and be aware of their surroundings.
    As far as animals go we had a dog that would get out of its yard and chase people along our trail. The animal control officer recommended noise as the biggest deterrent for dogs and coyotes which we have frequently. I got a small air horn at our local marine shop that I can easily hook on a pack or waist belt when I am running alone. I wouldn't want to use it when I have Hobbes with me though.

ETA - I have the Trekz bone conducting headphones and love them. It took a bit to get used to the other sounds (like the sound of my footfalls) but once I did I won't go back to regular headphones.

I've got the Trekz as well. Definitely worth the money.

One thing I forgot to mention is any weapon you have can be used against you. Especially if someone comes up behind you and you have to try and get a weapon out. Something I've been told is aim for soft spots, be loud and run towards others/busy places.

More than likely injury, cars and animals will be your biggest threat. Random attacks are rare. They just make good news stories. Ratings.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @7lenny7 - you are a beast! Love the race report and what a gorgeous place to run! How are you feeling today?
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    The course
    vb2aljuqdsbg.jpg
    The cool banked curve feature
    ii43s6sgibgg.jpg
    xmbk5btb6dlp.jpg
    8e2eje8pd5c4.jpg

A bunch of race photos
    t249ag5un0u0.jpg
    fnsal7l97dad.jpg
    0ybb6ydw58uq.jpg
    itkz866md8xz.jpg
    29wc208uxwon.jpg
    pupkdg8w6obu.jpg
    33mqr7ald0t6.jpg
    oe9pgend0bzi.jpg
    jh4wc33k25h1.jpg
    6cfjx7pju4il.jpg
    q6a7xfpdet2a.jpg
    nktvnd8a7rv8.jpg

An interesting outfit choice
    lquy8xq4p9xb.jpg
    783 heart points!
    n23q6ye25cvw.png

I LOVE YOUR LOCATION! IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I run at a place similar lately on the weekends and it's so gorgeous and serene! Looks like you had a great time!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - you the official king of race reports! That sounds like an awesome race. Very nice pictures. That wooden banked curve looks so cool, if not terrifying :s . Congrats on a fantastic race!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

That is all good advice. I am not sure this is for everyone, nor is it legal for everyone everywhere, but I do carry a concealed handgun on many of my runs when/where it is legal. But I have training and am licensed to carry it. The closest I have come to using it was on a loose dog. There was not enough time or advanced notice to take photos or anything.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great race, report, and congratulations on your age group finish!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @7lenny7 Great race, report, and congratulations on your age group finish!

@Tramboman thanks! Either I read it wrong or they revised the results but I'm now listed as

22nd out of 100 male
    4th out of 21 AG

Still 28th OA though.
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    JMNagain wrote: »
    @7lenny7 amazing race, you're a machine. Although my boyfriend was reading over my shoulder and is now sniggering at your description of lubing your crotch... gross!

Thanks, @JMNagain ! Unfortunately it's a necessary evil for long runs. Chafing can be QUITE painful.

Pro tip: Never shake hands with an ultra runner.

@7lenny7 hahahaha! Great tip!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @JMNagain - not sure where you are located (US or not) but you can find the Trekz Titaniums for around $80 and Target has had them on sale a few times