November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    Quick question I found running 10k has caused me to have a skin tag any suggestions for stoppign this from happening?

Where is it? I have not had this issue, but might be as simple as using Body Glide on that area (or some competing product) before you run.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    I really like the withings watches, but they aren't gps
    I m tempted by the new garmin vivoactive 4s,

Anyone else got something they could recommend?

I started with my lovely Withings Steel HR, then moved to a Vivoactive 3, and then a Garmin 645 Music.

If you genuinely want to run, figure out how to get a Garmin that you like. All the other aspects of the Garmin ecosystem make it invaluable.

How about getting a used VA3 ... ($50?) for several months, to work it all out, the reward yourself for something with a new one. Functionally the newest one, 245, really has hit a sweet spot of value and ability.

Appearance is left to you to decide.

The "Fenix" come in S/M/L sizes...

• Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Quick question I found running 10k has caused me to have a skin tag any suggestions for stoppign this from happening?

Where is it? I have not had this issue, but might be as simple as using Body Glide on that area (or some competing product) before you run.

Top of my thigh on the outside, will have a look at that sort of thing thanks.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    @Teresa502 sounds like a beautiful race to take part in! Bears and ponies are great to see in the wild, and closing the road off to traffic is very cool. Wish we had races like that here. Congrats on the pr as well!

@PastorVincent Oh I believe you about the lubricant! I know my boyfriend would as well, he's just a little immature! I hope you find your bottle, very annoying.

@durhammfp me too! But I just post when I can and learn so much from everyone else, so it's worth it for me. Good luck in your race!

I have a question which I'd love a few experts to weigh in on. I really want a gps watch as I don't like running with my phone, and my phone will measure the same route as up to 300m different on different days, so I really don't trust it. However, I think most gps watches are really ugly. I don't want a square one, and my wrist is small, so I need a relatively small one. I think I will wear it most of the time, as otherwise I will forget it, so I need to like how it looks, which means I want it to look like a traditional analogue watch except when I'm running. I really like the withings watches, but they aren't gps, only HR, with gps through your phone, so useless for me. I m tempted by the new garmin vivoactive 4s, which I think you've got, @avidkeo? Any feedback on it? Anyone else got something they could recommend? I know I'm being super picky!

I have a small-medium wrist. I currently have the vivoactive 3 and fenix 5s (it's the smaller version). I like them both for different reasons. The vivoactive 3 is a great watch. I just wanted to upgrade to one that had more workout options. We do a lot of hiking and the vivoactive doesn't have a separate hike option. The fenix does seem a tad bit bigger overall than the vivoactive but it's heavier. Vivoactive is touch screen. Fenix is buttons. I do miss the touchscreen for a few things. But as @PastorVincent said, try to go check them out. Especially if you aren't sure what you want.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Hmm. I don’t know that it caused it, probably just caused you to notice it. But some body glide or the likes will help. Otherwise just have the skin tags removed. I had to have a mole removed that was just under my bra strap.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @durhammfp You'll contribute more than you know. This group loves questions. You have any? Maybe gear, shoes, favorite ghosts, ideal distance, screw shoes...food... anything?

Almost running related:
    I kicked the Nerf soccer ball in the yard for the snake charmer.

Bahahaha! Love these comments.

IKR? I'm still trying to figure out the shoe comment. :smile:

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    @durhammfp You'll contribute more than you know. This group loves questions. You have any? Maybe gear, shoes, favorite ghosts, ideal distance, screw shoes...food... anything?

Almost running related:

Haha! Made ya think.

You can screw your shoes for traction in the ice rather than buying something like yak-trax. They are like spikes for the ice. A similar concept to track spikes.

That cat is the charmer, but he is to much of a do-do to heed the rattle of a snake. Ghost? Uh.. it was just spooky Halloween. You had no ghosts or ghouls?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »

Almost running related:

@durhammfp Screw shoes allow you to run more safely on slick, icy routes. I use them from time to time, but mostly towards the end of winter when the thaw/refreeze cycle creates havoc on the trails

http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

7lenny7 wrote: »
    Almost running related:

@Elise4270 I have no idea what this means but comments like this are why I love you!

Haha! Watch the video. My cat got snake bit twice. I don’t know if you were around or on hiatus. He’s also Mr Butterfly, because he love to eat them.

@Elise4270 yes, that must have been during one of my summer AWOL moments. It looks like you're read for a game of kickball!
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Hmm. I don’t know that it caused it, probably just caused you to notice it. But some body glide or the likes will help. Otherwise just have the skin tags removed. I had to have a mole removed that was just under my bra strap.

Ok will see if any pop up when I do my 10k this weekend. As long as the weather holds I hate English weather!!
  • JMNagain
    JMNagain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks for the reviews, I'll have a good read. Unfortunately I can't go to a store until Christmas, the only ones actually in shops here are fitbits (I think they're ugly plus I agree with you about google) and full smart watches by Samsung or apple and the like. Running tech is not big in Romania! I'll have a look at the forerunners though, they sound perfect.

@ChrisInCal I'll have a look at the smaller fenixs, really hard to gauge size from the photos. Same problem with the second-hand idea, there's not a big market here, do not much in the way of second hand. Shipping it from elsewhere would double the cost...

@RunsOnEspresso thanks! You make the vivoactive sound more like my thing I think, but I'll look at both.

I need me some of those screw-shoes but not yet, a balmy 23 degrees C here today!

• zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I ran a touch over 3.5 miles this morning. The temp was just below freezing (29F) but next to no wind so it felt pretty nice, actually. I used a buff doubled over itself as a hat, both a short and long sleeved shirt, gloves and tights which worked well. My face was a little cold after the first mile but was fine when I was done. The dogs got musher's secret on their paws which might help Kira ... that and the fact that it was starting to get a bit lighter during her run. I really think she's afraid of things in the dark. Smart girl.

@Elise4270 Ohhh Halloween! Give me a few days and apparently I completely forget stuff. We had one super cute toddler ghoul who almost dropped his pumpkin candy bucket in an effort to very gently and carefully select one dum dum (sucker). His mom saved the bucket from spilling on the doorstep and he got the candy he wanted (as well as a handful from me) :) We only had 21 trick-or-treaters this year which was just enough for my husband to announce that he is willing to decorate again next year. He loves Halloween and I think if we got 2 he'd still be willing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So, I plan to finally run my first marathon in January. That's been my big goal for the past several years and life kept getting in the way.

I've been trying to determine what my goal should be after I finally cross the marathon off my list. I feel stuck. Like I love long runs (16 miles is a favorite) but marathon training takes a lot of time. I'd love to get faster but I don't know if it's something I want to really focus on. I'm torn on my next goal.

Obviously, start training for Ultras. Longer, faster, higher baby! ;)

Or be like me and try to run all the marathons. You said this is your first marathon, not your last.

Yes, I may want to do more marathons. I haven't ruled that out. Mostly I don't know what I want haha