November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    So, I plan to finally run my first marathon in January. That's been my big goal for the past several years and life kept getting in the way.

I've been trying to determine what my goal should be after I finally cross the marathon off my list. I feel stuck. Like I love long runs (16 miles is a favorite) but marathon training takes a lot of time. I'd love to get faster but I don't know if it's something I want to really focus on. I'm torn on my next goal.

Obviously, start training for Ultras. Longer, faster, higher baby! ;)

Or be like me and try to run all the marathons. You said this is your first marathon, not your last.

Yes, I may want to do more marathons. I haven't ruled that out. Mostly I don't know what I want haha

After recovering from your marathon, parlay all that training into trail race training. Spend a month running your long runs each week on hilly trails then find a 25K trail race which also has longer races available*. That way you get a good sense of an ultra without the commitment of an ultra. Knowing nothing about your marathon or a 25K you might pick, I'm going to generalize and say that a 25K trail race is more or less on par with a road marathon for effort.

Or go straight to ultra.

* I say this because if you pick a race where the 25K distance is the longest, you might not get quite the same experience. You want to see the full ultra crowd, atmosphere, and most importantly, the ultra aid stations and be with the experienced ultra runners as they for 50K and beyond.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So, I plan to finally run my first marathon in January. That's been my big goal for the past several years and life kept getting in the way.

I've been trying to determine what my goal should be after I finally cross the marathon off my list. I feel stuck. Like I love long runs (16 miles is a favorite) but marathon training takes a lot of time. I'd love to get faster but I don't know if it's something I want to really focus on. I'm torn on my next goal.

Obviously, start training for Ultras. Longer, faster, higher baby! ;)

Or be like me and try to run all the marathons. You said this is your first marathon, not your last.

Yes, I may want to do more marathons. I haven't ruled that out. Mostly I don't know what I want haha

After recovering from your marathon, parlay all that training into trail race training. Spend a month running your long runs each week on hilly trails then find a 25K trail race which also has longer races available*. That way you get a good sense of an ultra without the commitment of an ultra. Knowing nothing about your marathon or a 25K you might pick, I'm going to generalize and say that a 25K trail race is more or less on par with a road marathon for effort.

Or go straight to ultra.

* I say this because if you pick a race where the 25K distance is the longest, you might not get quite the same experience. You want to see the full ultra crowd, atmosphere, and most importantly, the ultra aid stations and be with the experienced ultra runners as they for 50K and beyond.

I'm looking at a trail half in December. Haven't signed up for it yet. I keep putting it off.

I used to think I wanted to try an ultra but with my struggles just to do a marathon I'm not sure anymore. Plus I always worry about food. I can't take chances with random food :(
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    @PastorVincent thanks for the reviews, I'll have a good read. Unfortunately I can't go to a store until Christmas, the only ones actually in shops here are fitbits (I think they're ugly plus I agree with you about google) and full smart watches by Samsung or apple and the like. Running tech is not big in Romania! I'll have a look at the forerunners though, they sound perfect.
    Another company that's popular in Europe is Suunto. Their watches seem comparable to Garmin, but usually with a lower price tag. I have a Spartan Trainer Wrist HR, and a Suunto5. The 5 has a few extra features that I like, but the Spartan is also a great watch.
    Not sure about the size for you, though.
    vqejqqduinbp.jpg
    1o9cr2ufhi89.jpg

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm officially old. I strained my neck stretching in bed yesterday morning. I still can't turn my head fully to the right or look straight up. It's ridiculous.

Welcome to the club!!!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @JMNagain not really a fan of analog, but Garmin does have a STAR TREK face so that makes up for any other shortcomings, IMO:

3o4d1fiqimpm.jpg

At first I thought it was still on Daylight Savings Time.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Anybody use tumeric? Thoughts?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Anybody use tumeric? Thoughts?

I have lupus and type 2 diabetes, both of which are supposed to benefit from turmeric. I used it in a sort of ketchup form as a condiment for cottage cheese for breakfast for about six months. My numbers improved during that time; however, they stayed good after the turmeric was discontinued. I also didn’t have any lupus flares during that time, but again, could be coincidence. It definitely didn’t do me any harm, wasn’t expensive, and doesn’t have a strong flavor. I use a lot of it in Indian food. I found it was too much trouble for the effort I was putting into it.

If you do use it, dissolve it in oil with black pepper for maximum bioavailability. It’s oil soluble and there’s some compound in pepper which I can’t remember the name of which increases bioavailability by like 3000 percent or something. I read one study which followed the use of a concentrate of the compound they thought was the important one in turmeric and got no results, so beware of taking supplements which claim to be an extract of whatever whatever, no one knows at this point where the benefits, such as they are, are coming from exactly.