In your 60’s

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,191 Member
    swim777 wrote: »
    Welcome @alexsandrathompson. It sounds like you have a handle on this!
    @fitlulu4150 How was the garage sale?
    @Evamutt. I think finding different activities you enjoy is great. Perfection for me (having to always be rigid about exercise and foods) is often an issue for me. Being able to make this a lifestyle is what really works. Riding a bike is great exercise and sounds like a nice change of pace!

My week is going well. Hoping to go to a holiday craft show tomorrow. Lots of looking, and fun just to see what people create!

How did the craft show go?
  • Hello y'all! I'm officially "Biblically old" according to my twin daughters: 60! HA! I'm still trying to lose 'baby weight' from my youngest from 30 years ago. Earlier this year I was at my heaviest ever, and remembered that I had checked in to MFP 3 years ago. Thankfully they don't give up on you! I've been back about 1 1/2 months and SLOWLY the lbs are coming off. My chiro asked me to go on a 'clean diet' for a few days . . . which turned into a week! Meat and veggies ONLY. No potatoes,chips, bread, corn (grain), and no oatmeal! I lost 3 lbs in a week. Worth it! I'm back on my 'regular' eating, but I'm really watching the bread.
    My best to each of you on the quest to your goal. Don't look back, just keep looking forward to the finish line. WE can do it!!
  • annliz23
    Hello y'all! I'm officially "Biblically old" according to my twin daughters: 60! HA! I'm still trying to lose 'baby weight' from my youngest from 30 years ago. Earlier this year I was at my heaviest ever, and remembered that I had checked in to MFP 3 years ago. Thankfully they don't give up on you! I've been back about 1 1/2 months and SLOWLY the lbs are coming off. My chiro asked me to go on a 'clean diet' for a few days . . . which turned into a week! Meat and veggies ONLY. No potatoes,chips, bread, corn (grain), and no oatmeal! I lost 3 lbs in a week. Worth it! I'm back on my 'regular' eating, but I'm really watching the bread.
    My best to each of you on the quest to your goal. Don't look back, just keep looking forward to the finish line. WE can do it!!

Good luck!
  • annliz23
    JewelLiz wrote: »
    Hey Everyone! 63 here. Been trying to loose about 10 to 15 lbs. Seems like forever! Tried MFP a few months ago and then as the saying goes "life got in the way" So Im back at it again. I record my meals and water consumption. I do great all week, but come the weekend...BAM...
    I re-started a few days ago and Im down about 1 1/2 pounds...its a start! Every step forward is a positive step right?
    Good luck everyone!

You can do it stick at it, I'm stuck at the moment need to lose 11lbs but hols are making it hard but not giving up.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    It's all good, Lulu. Day to day life is full of blessings and misfortunes.

I went off to the river for a few days. Knew I would gain some weight, but I needed some unplugged, off the grid time. Just reinforces my need for logging and mindful food intake. Back on the program today.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Hello, I'm glad to be part of this great group. Last time I posted was sept 22, the day I got sick with the flu & it was bad, still have some left overs & not feeling 100% but a lot better. I haven't gone to gym since then, I had no energy but continued taking my dogs out every day so did get some exercise. I really want to get back to the gym & now I don't know if I still don't feel up to it yet or just got out of the habit so in the next couple days I'm going to make myself go & just do a little bit & find out. I've been doing better than usual on my deficit of 1500/day , going over just a bit now & then. @fitlulu4150 I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. My daughter had many miscarriages. She is pregnant now & so far everything is going well. She does have 3 children but it took 8yrs after the 2nd one to carry her last one to term . Hope you have a wonderful visit . The new thing in my life is I'm going to turn my Eleanor dog (german shepherd) into a therapy dog. She was born to do it. She loves people & is gentle. I have to work on her sit/stay before I can even do the practice tests. In the meantime I took her with me to talk to the director at a nursing home a friend used to be at where I took another dog to visit her & I can take her there without her being certified. She did so great the first day, wasn't afraid of wheelchairs, canes, people walking/talking funny or anything.
  • annliz23
    Lulu dont feel awkward that's what we are here for to listen and support, hope things are sorting themselves out.
    Steve hope you had a good fishing trip and come back relaxed!
    Eva that sounds a great idea for Eleanor, well done she will give so much love and happiness to others. Hope you increase you exercise a good walk always burns calories and being in the fresh air helps me, take care.
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Good day, my dear friends. As of today, I have lost 52 lbs and I'm very proud of myself. I just wish my face would not go down with my weight. I know that's superficial, but I don't want to look old because I don't feel old (as I said before I'm 69). I've been searching the internet for natural collagen replacements such as foods, creams, etc. that will not affect my health because I have some nasties in my body that I'm trying to keep under control. Does anybody have any good solution? And, is anybody as vulnerable or it's just me?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    7sorok wrote: »
    Good day, my dear friends. As of today, I have lost 52 lbs and I'm very proud of myself. I just wish my face would not go down with my weight. I know that's superficial, but I don't want to look old because I don't feel old (as I said before I'm 69). I've been searching the internet for natural collagen replacements such as foods, creams, etc. that will not affect my health because I have some nasties in my body that I'm trying to keep under control. Does anybody have any good solution? And, is anybody as vulnerable or it's just me?

I found that my face improved in the first few months after reaching goal weight. Skin seems to shrink much more slowly than fat depletes, plus it can't really start shrinking until enough fat is gone (i.e., most of it) that the residual fat no longer conspires with gravity to keep skin stretched. Add that to the glycogen depletion (less water/glycogen held in muscle tissue) that can happen while we're in a calorie deficit, and to the general physical stress from calorie reduction over a long time period, and I looked kind of haggard when I first hit goal at age 60. That seems pretty common.

Within a few months, that had improved a good bit, and the skin shrinkage continued for even longer (over all, not just face), probably well into year 2 of maintenance. (I'm 64 now.)

Skin is an organ. The things that make any other organ healthy are going to contribute to healthy skin, which - we hope - means skin as resilient and elastic as we can manage. Some key factors are avoiding too-rapid weight loss (because of the physical stress, of course unless so obese that the obesity itself is a higher health risk than fast loss); good, balanced, well-rounded nutrition on a consistent basis; regular exercise (cardiovascular and strength); and adequate hydration (need not be crazy high, just adequate).

You might want to take a look at this thread (linked below), which has lots of before/after face photos, some of whom are people in our age bracket. Good results really are possible. Some people in their 60s actually look younger.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10207059/before-and-after-face-edition

Give it some time after reaching goal weight and staying at maintenance: You may be happily surprised. Sending wishes that that may be so, for you and all!
  • alteredsteve175
    Hi to all the new folks! Been a bit lax about checking in here and sticking to my program. Time to focus on working out more and eating less. I'm down about 10 pounds for the year, but I am not as stubborn as that last 15 pounds! HAHA! :D
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Hi all and thanks AnnPT77 for the response. I had checked the link and was smiling all the time - people look so incredibly good after. I'm about done at this point even though I can lose another 20-30 lbs, but I want to maintain for a while. I want my current weight to stick. I started at 212 in Jan. and I'm 160 now @ my big frame of 4'11 3/4". Have a wonderful day and Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    61 here. Down 25 have 50 more to go! Looking for encouragement and accountability too! Please feel free to add me!
  • annliz23
    Finally lost another pound, I was beginning to get a bit frustrated as I was static but here we go, i just need to give it a big push over the next few weeks as i am bound to put so on over Christmas but never mind that's life for you. Good luck everyone!
  • alteredsteve175
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Finally lost another pound, I was beginning to get a bit frustrated as I was static but here we go, i just need to give it a big push over the next few weeks as i am bound to put so on over Christmas but never mind that's life for you. Good luck everyone!

Good news, Ann. I'm aiming to maintain through the holidays and hit it hard again in the new year.

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I agree, it will be a success to maintain during the holidays!
  • annliz23
    Hope you both maintain it will be tricky I suspect but good luck!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    Hello everyone, Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. I ended up eating a serving of 3 desserts but besides that I didn't overeat the main meal. I just can't eat the way I used to, as far as the amount, it makes me feel sick,even if I wanted to. Anyone else like that?