WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Well, I’m still coughing. So I’ll go to the extremepump class, I’ll skip bowling, go to ceramics but sit in the other room, skip mahjongg. I don’t want to feel like a total lump. I also think that I’ll call the MD. I’ve had this cough a few days now and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better, I think I may need an antibiotic to knock it out. Update: I go at 1 today. Vince thought I shouldn’t go to extremepump class. Oh, while I’m there I’ll show the MD my bp readings. Update: went to the class but used lighter weights. Totally forgot to show the MD my numbers.

The plan for tomorrow is to do Prevention’s Slim Strong and Firm DVD. Then I go to get my permanent bridge put in (yaaaa!!!)

Lanette – I use my Kitchenaid mixer all the time. I have a Cuisinart food processor and use that all the time, too. I don’t use the blender so much, but occasionally I do.

SuziQ – well, I asked Vince to work out the Christmas schedule while I was in Greensboro with my girlfriend. The end result is that we’re going to have our Christmas on Jan. 4. Not sure if Colby will be able to make it or not. Didn’t get the specifics, like who is coming when. But that looks like the final plan

Karen in VA – what a hysterically funny recounting. Be sure to share further ones!!

Carol – that’s wonderful!

Made these chocolate rice krispie bars for Vince. Actually, I accidentally made them one time and he really liked them. Basically, you make the regular rice krispie bars and add chocolate chips which melt.

Ceramics tonight. I’ll stop at the gal whose house mahjongg is going to be at just to give her the dog biscuits I made for her dog. Then I’ll go back to ceramics.

Michele in NC
  • whitewave39
    whitewave39 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    hey all....I just finally remembered to check in here ~ it's been a couple of weeks. I just got off the treadmill @ 2.5mph, burned 270 calories! It's exhausting @ that speed for 70 mins but I have to do something to get rid of this stomach ...I didn't have this 5 years ago! :s ...but then again, I was also 50lbs lighter back then too.
    I guess I'm doing OK in the weight loss at least ~ 14lbs so far ~ but that's still only a fraction of what I wanna get off. I'd love to lose 50 lbs; I like coming to FP cuz if I talk to others about this it keeps me accountable!
    We've had 2 birthdays here in the last 1.5 weeks & cupcakes have been sitting out there ever since! agh!! :D
    PipCD34 ~ Your dog is adorable! He looks just like my son's Rocky...and I'll bet he's all play, too, eh? Three of my kids have dogs: Rocky (black lab, rottweiler, shepherd), and my other son has a mix too (golden lab, setter) named Hazel (a rescue), and my one daughter has 2 whippets Foxy & Fawna. They are all great dogs!
    I would love to have a dog too but one daughter who lives here is very allergic so she has to be careful around them.
    Well, I am off to the shower....with my asthma & my back I have to sit for a few minutes to rest before I do all that; the treadmill is my usual workout but it's exhausting these days...I hope that when I get more FIT it won't be such a trial to convince myself to do it LOL. :p I do seem to remember the last time I did all this it did get easier over time! And since I did so poorly last week I'm hoping to work out at least 3 or 4 days this week!!
    I hope everyone here is having a great week!! Talk to you later.....J.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    "only" 62 new posts since I posted yesterday!

@cityjaneLondon Thank you for that information about bone health. I actually always did think there must be an evolutionary reason that people gain with age. I thought it might be to have some extra weight in case of major illness. It did help my mom. She got kidney cancer at 55 and lost weight radically so the extra weight she started with was possibly helpful in her survival before she got treatment. I used to diet (try to lose weight) some mostly in my 20s but I was more an exerciser and was never very skinny. I used to drink too much (up to 4 drinks!) a bit on weekends w a friend in high school sometimes but since then I was nearly a teetotaller till about age 50 and now I have maybe 1-2 glasses per week average - sometimes nothing for months and sometimes maybe 3-4 glasses is the odd more social week - on holidays, vacation... Not sure about calcium. I used to eat tons of dairy but much less in past years - harder to digest. I might be low on the calcium area. (just bought cheese and yogurt etc!) dairy tends to give me the sniffles. my mom had osteoporosis. she was not athletic at all. How do you know you have stronger than usual bones? I'm supposed to avoid impact w kneed thing. and maybe weight bearing too. have been doing (boring) Exercycle and some weight machines of late. I find the weight training kind of interesting, maybe cause it's new to me and there are many machines. You don't know what is bothering your husband. I had an ex who was also a serious runner (marathons, then half-marathons) and he had not great upper body posture. I wondered if the running took a toll I guess.
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Question for you all. Are any of you or do any of you know avid readers who are dyslexic? I ask because my niece is dyslexic and likes to read, but is being discouraged from being a "reader," because she reads slowly and it's "hard." I don't want her to think that just because of these things, she can't be a reader. But, if it's truly not likely to happen, I'd like to know that. I just don't want to believe it.

I sees some students who tell me they are dislexic in higher ed sometimes (plus those who don't tell me), so one can go pretty far (presumably involving plenty of reading over the years). Reading slower if necessary should be ok I think. Perhaps it depends on the degree of dyslexia.

"Without treatment, some people's childhood dyslexia continues into young adulthood. Others' will improve naturally as their higher learning functions develop." https://www.healthline.com/health/dyslexia-symptoms-by-age

I'm with TerriRichardson. I'm pretty sure one can often do very well with dyslexia.

@LisaInAR It was surely good for your DH to talk about his brother.

@ginnytez I went to see the work doctor Friday and he said he thought I should take some sick leave (due to stress, etc). I expressed concern for my student and he said if I didn't take some time off I would end up needing to take more time off later. I agree 23 is huge, plus in 3 schools so w some travel time. I used to buy gifts and send to the usa but SO expensive. Ordering a gift for another on amazon is not fun, so I agree with you.

from yesterday I only got lawyer thing done. Didn't go to the gym yesterday but went today and did 20 Min on cycle machine and about 25 min (?) of weight training. did not tidy at all and its aMESS. really not a good way to take care of myself to leave the place messy. I've really been having trouble with that lately. i guess it's psychological. I can go for a walk or to the gym but don't get to cleaning; that didn't used to be a big problem.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ☺️
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    💖
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Icy weather just hit hard. We’re miserable 😖 Hubby been sick now I’m getting the sore throat y JR nose is running ugghhh . Ice y Rain 🌧

Amber Tx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    /////
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, Today was veteran's day with free offers all around. Sub from Subway(for tomorrow), buffet from Ponderosa, salad, green beans, mashed potatoes and that was it there. Then had free movie, $1/game for bowling and free i.c. cone. Then onto Sheetz for a sub, 16 oz fountain drink with LOTS of ICE and free carwash. Then onto DQ for a free Blizzard(now in freezer). I am most proud of eating at Ponderosa because I ate about 1/4 of what I used to eat. It's been a very long weekend and having a neighbor die on Fri. made it sad. She just moved in on the 1st and most haven't talked to her yet.

It was 69/70 here in WV today while it is snowing in Rochester,NY(where I'm from). Our cold weather is coming this week so we're not far behind. Veg. garden was done 2 wks. ago.

Well that's it for now.
    Hope everyone has a great week.
    I had to read 65 notes from last night to today, That is a lot of writing and it's only the 10th.

Marianne
    West Virginia
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Origami Day!

"Let's get the world to fold! Celebrate origami by spreading the joy of paperfolding during World Origami Days, held each year from October 24–November 11, a 2-1/2 week celebration of the international community of origami!. ... October 24 is the birthday of Lillian Oppenheimer (1898-1992), who founded the first origami group in America. She was also one of the founders of the British Origami Society and OrigamiUSA. A dynamic woman, she was delighted in the magic to be found in a piece of paper and wanted to share it with the world."

SuziQ - This is a pretty small town so getting a farmers market up and running has been a challenge. We're an agricultural area, but most of our crops are not food crops (I see a lot of cotton and seed corn). So when we first moved here, the "market" might have two or three home gardeners trying to get rid of their surplus zucchini and that's about it. The whole thing was also hampered by a lack of space, but our new Heritage Square has fixed that. Right now we have a couple of grass-fed meat/poultry vendors, a soap and lotion maker, homemade dog treats, herb and vegetable plants, a small grower who sells vegetables and pickles, and various crafters. It's exciting to finally see the market getting some wind in its sails!

exermom - Interesting article about baking. I really enjoy it, and this time of year I do a lot of baking for gatherings and gifting. Got to get that stuff out of the house - or at least packed away into Philip's office - to avoid the temptation to over-indulge!

To those of you who have served in your country's armed forces or supported loved ones who served, thank you!

Well, it was 70 degrees Fahrenheit here this morning, but the overnight low is forecast to be 27 degrees and it is windy as heck out there right now. Think I got everything tucked away into the greenhouse or indoors. Then I got a call from my sister about Dad's river house, which we don't normally winterize until after Thanksgiving. I was afraid I was going to have to drive down there to cut off the water, but fortunately my niece, who is an hour closer, was able to go. Thank goodness - I wasn't looking forward to a two-hour drive each way in this wind!

Y'all stay warm!

-Yvonne in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    :)Carol, That's great about walking the pom for a mile.

<3Kim. sorry to hear that you can't find a good place to be for the holidays. I am one of those people who would rather be alone. Your cookie baking with your mom sounds like a great adventure.

:)bananas, one of my line dance friends has to wait for an important cancer surgery because her weight is too low and they won't do the surgery until she puts on more weight.

:) I gave up baking about 10 years ago when I gave up cooking and eating for recreation. Now I knit as a way to relax and I give my knitted items to charity (blankets to Project Linus and hats for a low income center). I think it does the same thing without the temptation of eating.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😴💤
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I have one more person to ask but it looks like I’ll be alone on Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas too… I HATE this time of year. I want nothing more than to be with people who like me, and there are plenty – but my friends are not includers, and/or who have family in other areas so are headed here or there. I even have tried to host something and no one is interested. I think I’ll clean the garage.

Kim from N. California

What about flying to a resort for a few days? Somewhere warm and tropical ... or maybe a cold, snowy ski place ... whatever you like?