Replies

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ๐Ÿ’–
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Karen - That really gave me a good chuckle this evening! Look at the size of that! :D:o:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    Iiiii
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

jog- 5.5-6.2sp w/some fast sprints 10.23min mi, 135ahr, 148mhr, 3.85mi= 379c
    Apple Watch- 405c
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @SuziQ113 No tech advice, just sympathy and commiserations. Technology is great when it works, but Oh!!! So frustrating when it goes wrong.

๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿคถ Gratitude for Christmas ๐ŸŽ…๐Ÿป๐ŸŽ„
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didnโ€™t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! ๐Ÿซ My ultimate comfort food.
    #5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6, 20 Nov: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights.
    #7, 21 Nov: Memory: This triggered a veritable avalanche of memories of my life, the happy moments crowding out the less pleasant ones. So... the memory I am most grateful for is my own selective memory, which chooses to focus on the positives, and reframe the negatives as learning experiences.
    #8, 22 Nov: Book: "Unlimited Power" by Tony Robbins. This book was a revelation to me and showed me that I was in charge of my life. It was pretty scary at first to accept responsibility for all my actions and decisions. It was no longer possible for me to blame others or make excuses. But it was such a positive turning point in my life. I revisit it often.
    #9, 23 Nov - Place: the place I am most grateful for is the quiet place in my head where I go when I meditate.
    #10, 24 Nov - Taste: Today grandson had made an experimental mulled wine drizzle cake. I was grateful that it tasted so good, (not all of his experiments turn out so well ๐Ÿ˜‚) Fortunately, I always hold calories for my Sunday visit, so was able to fully enjoy his delightful concoction (NB: lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites)
    #11, 25 Nov - Holiday: I love my annual week's family holiday on the West coast of Ireland with our DED and the grands. This year was our 24th year of these holidays. We started them with my DMiL when our granddaughter was just 8 months old. I am grateful that all 3 grands still want to come on these holidays with us.
    #12, 25 Nov, Texture: I love the feel of fresh soft fluffy towels after my shower.
    #13, 26 Nov, Abilities: I treasure my ability to be adaptable, and look for the positive in situations.
    #14, 27 Nov, Sight: I appreciate the sight of my husband bringing my tea in bed each morning. It means I can take my time waking up.
    #15, 28 Nov, Season: All the season's have their good points' but the spring is my favourite because it heralds the end of winter and the lengthening of daylight hours.
    #16, 29 Nov: I'm grateful that bones are strong. I have been very fortunate in that I have never had a broken bone. Long may that continue.
    #17, 30 Nov, Knowledge: I'm grateful for the self-knowledge I have gained on this health and fitness journey. Now all I have to do is apply it! ๐Ÿ˜‚
    mubjksd00i1j.jpg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :) Note to self: Making soup from the turkey carcass is an all day job and a lot of work and the result is priceless. We will be so happy with the four meals of soup and the extra broth when we use them in the future. This is something I learned from my mother and it one of the ways I celebrate her.

:) My walking friend is back from her Thanksgiving adventure with her family. Her daughter in Idaho bought the plane ticket for her and insisted on having a wheelchair scheduled to take her from the curb to the plane. She told me about how she got picked to be frisked and have her luggage looked through at security. I told her that I though it was because it seemed suspect to TSA that such a fit and healthy person should be in a wheelchair and they maybe considered that it was a trick to smuggle something onto the plane. She thought the whole thing was hilarious but she didn't tell that to TSA.

:) The dogs and cat loved the little bits of turkey I mixed into their regular food.

:) New thread will be coming soon.

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Instant pot getting a workout today. Made bone broth with turkey carcass and have all but 4 cups tucked away in the freezer for future use. Now I have yougurt from Fairlife milk cooking in the IP. Weather has been sunny, but the gusts coming off the mountains were cold and biting. Bring on the soup! My fridge has homemade turkey chili and Skinnytaste.com Creamy Zucchini Soup (an absolute winner if you haven't already tried it!)

Spoke with a good friend who lives in NYC, and learned she is being considered for a study on the positive effect of cocoa flavanols on age related memory loss. I was excited for a hot second until she told me that 'chocolate' is processed and doesn't contain the same type or necessary quantity of flavanols they are testing. The study is funded by Mars (fyi Michele).

No gift shopping here. Don't have kids or relatives who expect anything. I ramp up my charitable giving because I know there are so many who feel pain, pressure and stress during the holidays, and there are so many great organizations that exist to help those in need.

So, in that grateful space...
    #14: Sight โ€“ Star filled skies on a clear night. Humbling.
    #15: Season โ€“ Summer in the mountains
    #16: Body โ€“ My heart and head. They keep me going and balance each other.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

October and November 2019 intentions and scorecard:
    ๐ŸŽฏ Be lighter = A. Down 1.2 as of this AM
    ๐ŸŽฏ Get back to photo scanning project. Avg 15 mins/day. = . F. Haven't touched a photo all month. Did do some other needed decluttering.
    ๐ŸŽฏ Add harder intervals to daily recumbent bike workout = B. I'm up to resistance level 5.
    ๐ŸŽฏ Intentionally connect with acquaintances and neighbors. Set up coffee/lunch dates. = B. Haven't been able to socialize due to family obligations/appointments/visitors.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10774121/women-ages-50-for-december-2019#latest

This is the link to the new thread for December. I hope I'll see you there.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    November Update:
    fvnge6aw4qnn.jpg
    gz5iv694gdn4.jpg

Original Goal for 2019 was to reach 155lbs, achieved, and revised it down to <150lbs. Weight has been steadily trending downwards. I am now at my lowest weight in 4 decades! I have been bouncing around 150 for over a week now.

Just a few details on my personal journey to health and fitness.

Aim for 2019 ~ reach 155 <150
    Aim for each month ~ Weigh less at the end than I did at the beginning
    โœ…

This month, I am FOCUSED on heathy food choices and DETERMINED to achieve my goals!

SW: 227lbs (Mar 2014)
    LW: 153 (Oct 2016)
    151.6: 1 Nov 2019 (75 lbs Discarded:- not lost, not looking for them ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚)
    149.8: 30 November 2019

UGW: 155 140s (this may change when I get there ๐Ÿ˜‚ ) โœ… Hit 149s over a week ago.
    CW: 149.8
    • For the last 3 years I have tended to bounce up and down between 160 - 170. Occasionally I bounced up/down a little more.
    • My ideal situation would be to be below 155, to allow me some wiggle room for holidays/celebrations, hence my original goal for 2019, which I have now revised down a little.
    • I use CI/CO and a variety exercise for extra calories.
    • Logic would suggest that I have found a natural comfortable weight, and, according to modern BMI calculation, I am in the upper range of normal for my age and height. However, logic doesn't always dictate our desires and feelings. ๐Ÿ˜‚
    WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED
    1. Getting and staying healthy and fit requires the development of a permanent lifestyle reset.
    2. Replacing unhelpful habits with more useful ones is key to to the process.
    3. Losing weight is only one of the elements.
    4. Eating healthy and staying actively is not OPTIONAL, but an ABSOLUTE ESSENTIAL.
    THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.

REMINDERS One or two thoughts on weight which might give heart to some of you.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be several lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a permanent lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!

See y'all on the December pages. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’•

โ˜˜๏ธ Terri

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Happy National Mutt Day!

"Desperately longing for a new home, millions of loving and healthy mixed breed dogs in shelters wait for someone to come and adopt them. National Mutt Day provides an excellent opportunity to find the perfect canine companion. Despite the name, a mutt learns, obeys and trains much like purebred animals. While their lineage cannot be traced and their features a bit murky, their companionship will be faithful."

Barbara - Looking waaay back I see you asked about brussels sprouts. This year I tried a new recipe for brussels sprouts in rosemary cream sauce. It was good but not really worth the extra calories. Usually we roast them, sometimes with winter squash, but the most common way is an Alton Brown recipe where you saute them with cranberries and pecans. That one is simple and delicious!

Lanette - So happy to hear massage helped your frozen shoulder! Yes, Philip doesn't market himself as a medical massage therapist but that's exactly the kind of work he does and he's had a lot of success with frozen shoulder. Massage therapy is a great complement to physical therapy or chiropractic, so you may want to talk to your massage therapist about getting on a regular schedule.

Rebecca - Ooooh, Tucker is such a cutie! I can smell the puppy breath from here!

Made it through Thanksgiving! I didn't over-indulge but, if I'm being honest, that speaks less to my willpower and more to the fact that I don't care for my mother-in-law's cooking. There was some pie in the mix but we stayed on track with our workouts so overall the holiday wasn't much of a bump in the road.

You how sometimes you just get so involved in putting one foot in front of the other you lose track of where you are? Today is the birthday of my dear friend who I lost several years ago so it's already a wistful day. Then for some reason I decided now was the time to sort through and file all of the paperwork from my work on Dad's estate and then, as if that wasn't enough, I read a long letter Mom wrote to the church newsletter just after her breast cancer diagnosis. That last item made me lose it and I realized what an idiot I was to tackle all that today.

Since another dog isn't an option right now unless the greyhound group calls and wants me to foster, I'll celebrate Mutt Day by posting a picture of Luna:
    ep1wwn5czbl6.jpg

Pets to all of your furry friends!

-Yvonne in TX
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Yvonne See Barbie's post above for link to join us in December thread. xoxo