The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    I am doing my best but I do really good as long as I log my food
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I am doing my best but I do really good as long as I log my food

Maybe if you're really diligent you won't need the surgery
  • reggiedrum
    reggiedrum Posts: 21 Member
    Everybody is different. I can tell you my wife had the surgery to band her stomach. She did not stick with the diet and exercise that goes along with the surgery. She gained the weight back. Eating is a problem for her because of the physical reaction to eating more than smallish portions.

There are a number of factors impacting weight gain: genetics, physiological issues, etc.

If u can start with baby steps for exercise and diet, small incremental changes add up over time.

MFP is my conscious. I make food decisions based on the data. That doesnt mean that I dont want to eat a whole bag of chips. I had to give up sodas and it sucked big time. Halloween candy certainly caused some setbacks in the last couple of weeks.

Hang in there. U can do it.

Wishing u the best of luck.
  • AliNouveau
    So I go to physio thinking in doing great to be told I need to get much more range of motion. Why? Because I have greater than normal range so to attempt to match the other side i have a lot of work. I'm happy to have a challenge but kinda feel like my stupid body is sabotaging me. Grrrr
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    reggiedrum wrote: »
    Everybody is different. I can tell you my wife had the surgery to band her stomach. She did not stick with the diet and exercise that goes along with the surgery. She gained the weight back. Eating is a problem for her because of the physical reaction to eating more than smallish portions.

There are a number of factors impacting weight gain: genetics, physiological issues, etc.

If u can start with baby steps for exercise and diet, small incremental changes add up over time.

MFP is my conscious. I make food decisions based on the data. That doesnt mean that I dont want to eat a whole bag of chips. I had to give up sodas and it sucked big time. Halloween candy certainly caused some setbacks in the last couple of weeks.

Hang in there. U can do it.

Wishing u the best of luck.

^^I wish doctors and those that push these surgeries were more open and honest about this. I'm not completely against weight loss surgery - I know it can be an effective tool for many - but at the same time, its not fail proof or easy, and too many people think that it will be the quick solution to all their problems. I know when my brother and sister in law went through it, the clinic didn't tell them several of the things that they ended up experiencing, and kept advertising this huge success rate. My brother doesn't regret the surgery but he does wish they had told him some of the downsides that go along with it.

My sister seriously needs it, but I'm afraid she'd be one of those who regains the weight because she doesn't want to change her eating styles. I tried to get her to count calories last year, but after losing 10 lbs, she quit because she was "starving" all the time, even though I had her set up for her height and weight at a modest loss rate - nothing drastic. And in talking about weight loss a few weeks ago, she said she didn't want to have surgery or count calories because she couldn't have pizza or chips anymore. I find it rather sad that she'd rather eat herself into an early grave than learn moderation :(

• kenthepainter2
    kenthepainter2 Posts: 58 Member
    clord2 wrote: »
    I have deeper than normal hip sockets, resulting in torn labrums and a big bump (cam) below the ball of my hip joint on my femor. The doc re-anchored the labrum to my socket and ground down the bump on my femor.

That doesn't sound fun at all
    No, and I can't wait to get back to work !
  • kenthepainter2
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    I have deeper than normal hip sockets, resulting in torn labrums and a big bump (cam) below the ball of my hip joint on my femor. The doc re-anchored the labrum to my socket and ground down the bump on my femor.

I had Fai/labral repair in 2017. I understand your struggles.

I've had 3 now, if it gives me more trouble the doc said I'll need a replacement
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    So I go to physio thinking in doing great to be told I need to get much more range of motion. Why? Because I have greater than normal range so to attempt to match the other side i have a lot of work. I'm happy to have a challenge but kinda feel like my stupid body is sabotaging me. Grrrr

Sorry you're going through all this. Hope it gets better soon for you.
  • AliNouveau
    cdubks88 wrote: »

It will thanks just have to be less gentle with myself. My friends and family keep telling me to not push it too much but I think I'm allowed to we'll see
  • DanR486
    DanR486 Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2019
    So it turns out that a buzzcut instantly adds about 10 years of ageing.

From 34 to mid-40s in minutes...

j7uqm0E.jpg
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    any particular reason for the buzz cut?
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    DanR486 wrote: »

j7uqm0E.jpg

So, if I let mine grow out more, I'll lose ten years??? Hmmm, I wonder what I can find for rapid hair growth on Amazon??? Have a great Thursday everyone!!!
  • cdubks88
    edited November 2019

It will thanks just have to be less gentle with myself. My friends and family keep telling me to not push it too much but I think I'm allowed to we'll see

I get it. That's the struggle I always have with injury. I can't stand being hindered when all I want to do is just run. I can definitely understand that "itch" to get out.

Hope you get rested and out soon.

Have a great day!😊
  • AliNouveau

I get it. That's the struggle I always have with injury. I can't stand being hindered when all I want to do is just run. I can definitely understand that "itch" to get out.

Have a great day!😊

A friend wanted to take me skating tonight. The physio lady said she'd tie me tons chair if she had to haha. I think my recovery protocol is quite aggressive but I want to be better quickly
  • cdubks88

Have a great day!😊

A friend wanted to take me skating tonight. The physio lady said she'd tie me tons chair if she had to haha. I think my recovery protocol is quite aggressive but I want to be better quickly

I can see it now......"Mommy, why is that lady skating tied to a chair?" 😁😎

Good luck with the mend. Hope you're back out there soon. 😊
  • AliNouveau

Have a great day!😊

I can see it now......"Mommy, why is that lady skating tied to a chair?" 😁😎

Good luck with the mend. Hope you're back out there soon. 😊

I won't go skate. Luckily hubs is working late tonight hahaha
    I want to be back on the ice curling by January. Lots of work ahead
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Back it folks, been just over a week and killin' it & lovin' it looking for friends to keep me accountable, ADD ME.
  • DanR486
    DanR486 Posts: 8 Member
    steeliebob wrote: »
    DanR486 wrote: »

j7uqm0E.jpg

So, if I let mine grow out more, I'll lose ten years??? Hmmm, I wonder what I can find for rapid hair growth on Amazon??? Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

:D:D:D
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    Hi! I am Matt, 40, down about 45 lbs in 13 weeks and highly motivated.

I practice DDP Yoga, Enjoy lifting in the gym four days a week and am in the pool two other days. Also am a follower of Jocko Willink.

All the exercise and nutrition in the world is great, but pales in comparison to the mental battle and the importance of discipline.

As such I am always on the lookout to surround myself with other motivated individuals for mutual support and accountability.

If that sounds like you, don't hesitate to drop a friend request my door is open to all, and am more than willing to help those looking for someone to push them to victory with all their goals.

Good luck in your journeys!
  • kenthepainter2

I had Fai/labral repair in 2017. I understand your struggles.

I've had 3 now, if it gives me more trouble the doc said I'll need a replacement

One was bad enough. I can't imagine 3. I hope you don't have anymore trouble.

Me too, sitting around a lot isnt good for my weight either!