• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @Avidkeo
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    somum wrote: »
    Happy Belated Birthday @AlphaHowls hope you are having a great birthday month! t8vkiiba61ja.jpeg
    Here are some flowers I digitally painted 😊 have a great holiday birthday week!

This is awesome! Thank you!

Happy birthday! @Avidkeo
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    We put our Christmas decorations out after Thanksgiving, but there are several homes in my neighborhood who already have lights out.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I thought of an end of the month question for the group. For those of you who celebrate Christmas in the US, do you put your Christmas decorations out before Thanksgiving? I've been noticing a lot of Christmas lights out already and not just at the businesses downtown. And for those of you not in the US who celebrate Christmas, when do you traditionally put up the decorations? It used to be that most people I knew did it the weekend after Thanksgiving but it seems like people are doing it earlier and earlier.

I don't decorate for Christmas at my house. We don't have children or grandchildren and never have visitors plus my husband and I both work full time (he works 12-hour shifts rotating weekly between day shift and night shift) so we're not home a lot. Some times I will decorate outside but I live in a rural area with little traffic. I enjoy the having the lights up to greet me when I come home from work but I don't always find the time and energy to get them out.

I help my mom put her outside Christmas decorations up but we don't do that until the day after Thanksgiving or at least sometime that weekend - whichever day has the best weather to be outside.

I've seen a lot of decorations out already though. I think people like to take advantage of the warmer weather to decorate outside.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Holiday weeks can tempt me to run too much so I'm trying to exercise caution with extra time on my hands due to normal weekly obligations being cancelled and a shortened work week. So last night I opted to do a sort of circuit workout of running 2 mins on the treadmill then doing a set of 3 upper body strength exercises and squats and then some leg raises, bridges and clamshells at the end. So that ended up being 10 min of broken up running for Tuesday.

Today I am crossing my fingers that I get to leave work early and I've brought 3 pairs of capris with me (because at this point every few pounds I lose is making such a huge difference in clothing fit that I never know what's gonna fit and what's gonna fall off) and I'm hoping to try out a new trail right by my office and run 3 miles. It's in the 40s but a gorgeous sunny day.

Thursday I'll probably just see how I feel at the end of the day because we're leaving early for a 2 hour trip for Thanksgiving lunch and then we'll be home by 6pm, so I may jump on the treadmill then.

Normally Friday would be a run day, but my husband is off work so I'll probably just scratch Friday since I will have probably run 3 days in a row at that point.

Christmas decorations....... Over the years I have tended to get that all done Thanksgiving week because I would take off work due to school being out, but we are now empty-nesters (I'm only 38 but not a biological mother). However with Thanksgiving falling so late this year I was just ready to get started. So I set up the 2 trees Sunday and I just started decorating them today before work and will finish tonight I hope. I feel like it's so much work hauling out Christmas decor and then putting it away is even worse so I just really want it done in advance so I can have the month of December to enjoy it and not stress. I'm not sure yet if I'm doing outside lights - it's been a couple years without. Our weather this time of year is honestly just awful for outdoor decor. For example a wind storm last night destroyed a bunch of stuff. We have a lot of rain predicted also, so if I get a decent day to put up outdoor lights by this weekend then I will. If it gets any later into December, then I'm out!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Argh! I knew I'd forget something if I ran over here by my office after work. My Garmin! I'll try just starting up an activity on Strava because God knows my Fitbit Charge 3 can't correctly calculate distance.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,983 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree WTG on running the 5K. Excellent time. Love the modified sign.

@eleanorhawkins Glad the daughter ran the entire race. Picking off someone at the end is always a plus and gives you a boost for next time...well, for you, but not the one picked off. :wink:

@polskagirl01 Grieving is hard. Glad you have more peace about it today than you had yesterday. One day at a time. Also glad you had a great Thanksgiving celebration. Mine will be tomorrow and Friday.

@kirstymn Great race! Loved the video. It looks like such a cool place to run.

@PastorVincent Great picture of the sunrise. It's breathtaking.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading what everyone does regarding Christmas decorations. I always like to have the house decorated, but I don't enjoy actually decorating it. Especially now that my kids are grown. I have never decorated before Thanksgiving before. I guess it being so late this year is probably part of the reason so many people seem to be doing it early. I may try to get some things out of the closet this weekend, but it will probably be next weekend before I get anything done.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm debating whether to run tonight or not. I have not run since Sun. because my Achilles tendonitis seemed to get worse again after the weekend runs. It is a bit sore, but it has been too long to not run already. I am getting fat and losing fitness. :(

Oh, and I see everyone posting on social media about getting drawn for Berlin. I keep checking, but no message yet. That probably means I did not get drawn and my rejection email will come soon... same thing as every other race lottery ever. Ugh, why am I not surprised?! I know my luck sucks with these things, but maybe someday I can get drawn for something....

Decided to let the tendon heal more and not run tonight.

What they told me about mine was if you can do single leg calf raises on a staircase without pain, it’s time to start thinking about running on it. But if there’s any pain at all don’t. Achilles can go from a mild problem to totally ruptured very quickly if you aren’t careful. Rehab exercises help.