WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Just going to crank out the work, I often think of my mom who when faced with a large, unwieldy task, would remind me to stop and look, stop and recognize what is simply wonderful or amazing or just perfect and stop looking ahead to tick off a box— “Oh, Karen, just look at that! She would exclaim to me—I’m keeping that mindset close to mind in the days ahead.

NYKAREN

At times, when I'm rushing from one thing to the next and next and next ... and start to feel frazzled, I try to do something like this. Just pause for a sec to see something beautiful: a view, a flower, a pretty display in a shop or whatever. And then back at it again.

In an odd way, my husband's situation has actually helped with that. He loves animals, now more than ever. One way to get him to relax a little in a stressful moment is to point out an animal - real, plush, ornament or whatever. So at times, I'm "forced" to pause and locate an animal. I've become rather adept at spotting animals as we walk places just in case I need them. :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,629 Member
    Options
    \\\\\\\
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3 Good morning ladies! My day went well yesterday. The kids were a little out of sorts, so we just kind of laid low and read lots of books and watched a Christmas show. (The Snowman; one of my favorites) I have been tired and achy this week (and a little ornery) and I am wondering if it is because of the removal of alcohol and cutting back on fats and sugars. Maybe some sort of detox?
    Rebecca Athena looks like a bubble of happiness!
    Heather-Max, Edie, and Bea with the lanterns is fantastic! You can see the joy in their faces! Were they at a holiday parade or festival? Edie with the cello; be still my heart! A musical girl! I am so glad you enjoyed your time with your older son and his girlfriend. Sometimes meet ups during the holidays can be stressful and chaotic; yours sounds perfect!
    Machka- Like you, I have devised ways to "fill my cup" in a short period of time. Don't get me wrong; if I had the time and money to refresh myself with a long vacation away, I would do so. In the meantime, a few moments of nature, or meditative music really helps. When I am having a rough day with the kids, I find that running water (cool water in the summer; warmer in the winter) over my hands for a minute or so calms me down. Weird, but it works. I have also noticed that my hubby enjoys looking at nature, animals when he is stressed. He has never really shown an interest in nature (not a hiker or outdoor sports person). He and I went for a walk the other day and he heard a bird and commented on it's song. I told him that it is a Chickadee and that they say their name in their call. We stopped and I found the bird and pointed it out to him. He seemed amazed that I knew that; and I take it for granted that I know that! lol Common bird knowledge is something I just grew up "absorbing" with my nature loving parents. My grandmother used to stand outside of her house with seed in her hands and call to the chickadees. They would flutter down and land on her arms, hands, head and just hop around on her and eat. She did this a few times a day to ensure that the birds got the seed and not the squirrels!
    Welcome new girls! Please come back often and chime in when you feel the urge to do so! Do NOT feel like you need to respond or even read every comment. Most of can't/don't do that. This is an ever growing/changing group, some voices we hear from quite often and some voices we hear less often, but still value! Welcome to a place of powerful and inspiring women! <3

I better scoot. I have a couple of gifts to wrap for families. I am giving part of my "family" gifts, today, so that the families have a little more time to use them. (Shhhh...I got each family a couple of cookie kits. One is Ninjabread Men and the other is Ugly Christmas Sweater Cookies) I figure in kit form, it would be easy for each family to make and decorate cookies and make a nice holiday memory.

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Only got the fudge wrapped, and vacuumed. Where did the day go? Holiday lights at the park with friends was lovely, mild, dry weather, couldn't be better. Even more lights this year than last, and somehow seemed brighter, perhaps there was less fog in the air? Held the adult beverages down to one, and CO to 80. Today it's T'ai Chi, therapeutic massage, line dancing and will try to light the tree at least.

Yvonne, yay you for taking such good care of your teeth. Joe's dentist got through to him by saying “You don't HAVE to floss all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep.” ;)
    Welcome Suzi from UT
    Barbie “lose 2 inches by 70” Ack! At not quite 5' and 69 yo, don't have them to loose. :}
    Rebecca Oh! Even Athena Rose's feet look kissable!
    Karen in VA so sorry to hear Social Security and Medicare personnel were under-trained/informed. Good reminder to be our own advocates and researchers, but it makes me grumpy that the supposed experts... aren't.
    Heather :heart: Edie and her cello, and of course all 3 with the lights. Could you tell us about the lights?
    Machka love your animal spotting strategy, and attitude of gratitude for this element of your husband's situation. Well done!

Time to get in a few ZZZs. Hope today is more productive.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for December: get up and go outside EVERY day!
    daily: steps=4382 vits=3.5 log=5 CI<CO=4 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble 5/10=3 mfp=5 AF=3 outside=2
    wkly: BBBorTC=2/3 rx= dance= pack walk=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= dog group email lilst= sew= play=
  • Machka9
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. Feel free to join in whenever you'd like ...

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Day 12 - November 26 - Texture: Smooth. Since the measles (?) in 2016, I need to wear very smooth clothes. I've been thankful to find such things at a good price.

And the soft texture of the fur of kitties. :)

Day 13 - November 27 - Abilities: I am very thankful for my organisational skills. I don't know how I would have survived with the past 20 months without them!!

Deep breath ...

Day 14 - November 28 - Sight: What sight am I grateful for?

The sight of all the roses and other flowers in our garden. :)
    The view from our dining room window out over the water. :)
    The beach my bus goes by morning and evening ... sometimes there is sea wildlife out there. I've seen dolphins, a stingray and a whale! :)
    The mountain behind the city. :)

Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Day 15 - November 29 - Season: Summer. I'm always thankful for summer! The warmth. The long daylight hours. I come alive in summer. :) One more day till summer!

Day 16 - November 30 - My Body: I'm thankful for my brain and my legs. My brain, because it often has to be a brain for two of us now and although it fails me now and then, I'm so glad things like my memory seem to have improved. And my legs because they are what carry me around and allow me to do things like cycling and running.

Day 17 - December 1 - Knowledge: Coincidentally, my current course is Knowledge Management. :) I appreciate everything I've learned through formal education, experience, and life in general. I'm especially thankful for being at a point where I feel reasonably comfortable around computers ... but can still learn more! Even just today, I learned how to add contacts into my phone.

Day 18 - December 2 - Piece of Art: Hmmm ... I am thankful for my sister-in-law's art and gifts to us. :) She has given us paintings, wood carvings, and vases.

One of her vases ...
    wxw16qqq2dk4.png

Day 19 - December 3 - Touch: My husband's hugs! There were a few months when I thought I'd never have his hugs again. His hugs were one thing I dreamt about during those months.

Day 20 - December 4 - Who in my life am I grateful for? My parents ... who have been so supportive of me through all I've done and been through. I love them both and hope that one day, in a few years, we'll be able to live closer to them again. :heart:

Day 21 - December 5 - What song am I grateful for? This is a really difficult one. I like music of all sorts!! And what I listen to on a particular day largely depends on my mood. I'm just generally thankful for music! :)

Day 22 - December 6 - What story am I grateful for? The Christmas story is special. And the little stories that make up our lives ... "Remember when ... " :)

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Interesting article ...

https://www.verywellmind.com/single-tasking-for-productivity-and-stress-management-3144753

"Focusing on one task at a time, as mentioned, really can save you time, so it pays to get into the habit of focusing on one thing at a time as much as possible or as much as it makes sense to do so."
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options
    Macha I wouldn't respond to either unless I initiated it. I am the same with calls. I am the same with the phone unless I recognize the number and or the person. I still am cautious even then with phone calls. Lately we have gotten fewer scam calls because we just don't pick up. I guess one problem if you pick up they know they have a live number and the longer you stay on the line the more desirable your phone number becomes.
  • Machka9
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Macha I wouldn't respond to either unless I initiated it. I am the same with calls. I am the same with the phone unless I recognize the number and or the person. I still am cautious even then with phone calls. Lately we have gotten fewer scam calls because we just don't pick up. I guess one problem if you pick up they know they have a live number and the longer you stay on the line the more desirable your phone number becomes.

I would be cautious with both, but one is quite noticeably a phishing attempt, as others here have identified, because of the "From" email address right at the top. :)

I rarely answer the phone. I don't like talking on the phone so I let it go to voice mail. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Actually, I've got a message on my work phone I must check one of these days.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    It's Fabulous Friday! <3

Barbara AHMOD
    - you are so busy! Very proud of you getting all of those activities in.

Barbie - OK, now I'm wondering if I've lost any height. A few years ago, I was down 1/2 inch from my tallest of 5' 9". One of these times I'm in the doc's office I'll have them remeasure me. It's been 2 years and I'm due for a DEXA rescan.

And I agree on putting locations, at least occasionally - it's impossible to remember where we are all from and to go back and find everyone's first "intro post" where we often mention? AAARRGGHHH. Lost in the wind, lol. There are many of us who use nicknames too.

Machka - looks like some foul weather heading your way. Thank you for posting that windy.com link. It didn't work on IE but Firefox handles it like a champ, it will be great to start using it again. HUGS.

Thank you for posting the "which is real". Good reminder. I too always check out the sender's email address. If any doubt at all, into the trash it goes, unopened. If it looks like something important, I'll head to the company's website.

The phone. I saw a post on Facebook yesterday that echoed how we feel here..... we are in charge of our time now, and who we want to talk to and when we talk. I always tell folks email or text me and I'll respond when convenient. I think a lot of folks are handling communication the same way. I keep the cell phone on vibrate on the table beside me. It's for MY convenience, not anyone else's, lol.

Ordered a new book from the library. "On the Brink of Everything: Grace, Gravity, and Getting Old" by Parker Palmer. It was mentioned by Tom Ryan, the "Following Atticus" author. I'm following his story with interest - he's lost a lot of weight and recovering health using Michael Greger's "How Not to Die" and Dr. Esselstyne's plant based low fat diet. I know this type of diet isn't for me, but meat just doesn't seem yummy to me anymore. Eggs and dairy, yes. So I am intrigued by the photos of different recipes Ryan posts on his "Following Atticus" Facebook page. Plan to make another lentil soup this weekend following his recipe plans.

Yesterday on my walk, I headed to a little state park where I normally do my "turn around". This time I actually took a few steps into the park and spent several moments looking at the tall trees and up into the canopy. It was kind of a "smell the roses" moment, lol. And a moment of gratitude for having this rarely used little park so close by.

Karen in VA - yesterday I decided to pretend I was researching Medicare Part B Medigap plans. First, went to Medicare.gov website and put in my zip code to see what was offered. Our current carrier is Regence, so I looked for them. Could only find them listed as providing one of the plans! And also only saw AARP (United Healthcare) offering one ?

Then went onto the Regence website. Looked all through it, they appeared to be carrying all of the Medigap plans for 2020 but it was hazy. Very confusing!

So the insurance dude or dudette should have the up to date scoop for anything you need to know.

Kelly - so glad to hear you got Tim to walk with you. My DH has been so quiet/subdued for the past several weeks. Yesterday he finally admitted, "I just hurt all over, all the time." Winter is hard on his mood anyhow. We'll get through it. Grateful Rosie the pup loves to interact with him, cuddle, entertain. Life would be pretty dull for him without her right now.

Having lunch with girlfriend today, should be fun. :)

Ok ladies, better move it. Hugs all around, welcome new ladies. Glad you are here! <3

Lanette
    Overcast SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    DDIL said it was Glow Wild at Wakehurst Place.
    I know as much as you. :p
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    I've googled it and it's up by Kew Gardens in South West London.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) It's not Medicare's job to know about supplements and Medicare Advantage plans. All those plans are private which is why going to an insurance broker for help was what we did.

:) I just listened to a podcast interview with a woman who wrote a book about strategies for dealing with stress and getting enough sleep was at the top of the list.

:) I keep my phone on silent all the time unless I have specifically told someone that I was available at a certain time and would be waiting for their call. My phone is with me all the time and I routinely check for messages and return calls if someone leaves a message and asks me to call back. I have several friends who text me and ask if this is a good time for them to call.

:) The information I have about my height comes from the routine height measurement at bone density scans. At age 73, I've had four bone density scans. Medicare will pay for them every two years.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🎆🎇🎆
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Edie is growing up! She looks wonderful with her cello. :smiley:

Margaret: Whoever invented robo calling is on my hate list. We are inundated with robo calls, most of them from some stupid hotel chain. I wonder if it is Trump's company. :grumble: We used to be able to put ourselves on a no-call list. Sadly, no more. :ohwell:

Lanette & Barbie: Last time I was measured, I had not lost any height. I have a wellness check-up coming up in January and I’ll get a height check. Unfortunately, I have gained weight. I think DH’s gluten free foods are higher in calories. I need to turn myself around. Time to get out the measuring scoops and scales so that I can count calories accurately. :embarassed:

Heather: Congrats to your son on his new job! :bigsmile:

DH and I both have yoga classes this morning. I want to go to the class I’ve been taking for years. He has a chair-yoga class and would like for me to accompany him. A couple of the women in his class are looking at him like he is candy and it makes him uncomfortable. I’ll happily go to his evening class, but I don’t want to miss my own morning class.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Sue sending healing thoughts (((( <3 )))