WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Looked back at what I wrote yesterday, and realized it was quite vague. My CEO called me late yesterday afternoon and let me down easy about the job, which was given to someone else at the organization with more tenure. It was the most graceful rejection I've ever gotten - she's kind of an amazing person.

I am both relieved and saddened, but honestly, either I'm completely deluding myself (not impossible by any means) or my sense of relief strongly outweighs the sadness. Now that I've got the grants structure streamlined and working well, I have what is possibly the LEAST stressful job in the organization... I go hunt down the money and someone else does the work. The move into the chief-level position would have put me at the corner of stress and overwork.

So, I'll put it behind me, and move on to my next challenge, a grant presentation on Monday, arm-in-arm with the same CEO, to a foundation in Dallas that funds 33 Arkansas counties. We're only asking for $1 million! :smiley: Corey's driving me down tomorrow, and then we'll be back Monday night.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Hi Lisa - I completely understood what you were saying. I say we must have the same type of bosses and for that I am thankful.

Your story yesterday made me think of Garth Brooks song, "Unanswered Prayers". Although about a relationship I often think of the words.

Excerpt
    Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
    That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered
    Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered
    Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did a Strong Body Ageless Body DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some training games on the Wii.

Rori – if we were in CO, you can bet we’d be at the snowcats in nothing flat. Sounds really really cool. I subscribed to their newsletter, maybe there’s a time when we can go, looks like they tour other areas so we shall see

M – three gifts for each person. In order to do it the other way, we’d have to somehow get people to pick the name of the person they were to buy for and we had enough trouble getting Denise to commit to when she’d be here, I can’t imagine getting her to commit to which people she’d buy for! Out of 8 people, I only have to buy (so far) 10 gifts, and for them I really need their list. See, we send a list of what we’d like.

LuciNC – don’t worry, we’ll get together. This is such a hectic time of year, I totally understand. We’ll do it! You know, when MIL was pg with Vince, his father told the MD “if this baby isn’t born before the end of the year, you aren’t getting paid”. He was

Do you know that one doctor cancelled an appointment that I need to have for next year because, of course, by then the insurance that I have will be over and Medicare will take over. So instead of asking me, they just arbitrarily cancelled my appointment. This medical practice is being taken over by this group so the practice is closed until Monday. On Tuesday I plan to call and complain that my appt was cancelled without them talking to me. I know nothing’s going to get done, they’ll probably reinstate my appt. But it’ll make me feel good to chew them out for cancelling an appointment

SuziQ – aren’t those types of comments frustrating? Vince and Jess used to make them to me. Finally, one day I got so fed up that I yelled at them “why don’t you just leave me alone? I don’t comment on what you eat!” When we were in Iowa, I could see that Jess is trying to lose weight, but she still has a way to go. But at least she’s trying. I noticed some of the foods in her house, there weren’t chips and cakes, etc. But going out to eat, she did have a beer and a drink. Colby was there and I know he likes his beer, so I don’t know if the beer that was there was his or not. I suspect it was. When she went out there I did make her some rum balls. She had them in the refrigerator. I suggested she take them to her study group, but they study on campus and she doesn’t want to bring liquor on campus. I suspect what the campus means is really open bottles of beer, wine, etc., not cookies. Besides, you can say that they have rum flavoring. But she’s supposed to go to some sort of party when classes are over so I suggested she take some with her since the party is going to be at someone’s apt.

We go to see TSO today (Tran Siberian Orchestra). The couple we go to it with every year (you’ve heard of me talking about Ken & Lynette – them) are going to be here at 12 (natch they’d come here, she doesn’t like company in her house but has no problem going somewhere else which I know bothers Ken, he’d like to reciprocate sometimes)so that means I really need to at least clean the floor in the kitchen. I’ve already cleaned the microwave & refrig. I just don’t like people coming in to see it all dirty.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) The strategy I use most often is to eat nothing at parties. I eat the foods I've planned for my day and eat at the time of day I've planned to eat and then have only water. If people don't know what I eat, they can't make comments about it. If the biggest reason for being at an event is the food, then I don't belong there.

<3 Barbie
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Michelle - If there are 8 people and you have to buy each one 3 gifts (assuming you are one of the 8 and don’t buy for yourself), wouldn’t everyone have to buy 21 gifts? 7 people X 3 gifts? Where does the 10 come in? Further assuming Vince doesn’t shop for his own 21 gifts he has to give, wouldn’t you have to shop for 42 gifts, your 21 and his 21?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Carol, my dear friend, I'm sorry it hit you hard, I really am. I was enormously pleased to see you get past your fears and get your knee replaced this year. I think that's the beginning of regarding yourself as someone who is worth caring for, of getting healthy for, of someone who matters. Perhaps, as SuziQ did, maybe it's time to make of your birthday something special for you and by you, because you are certainly worth it.

Allie - much good luck with the receptionist job - I hope it's the right time and the right place for you. It would certainly be well deserved, and I know it's a place you love.

Lisa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    okie - yes, that would be 21 gifts. However, I have some that I made and some that I've already bought. We have to shop for 7 possibly 8 people. That would be 21 (or 24) gifts all together. I made 7 of those, I bought 3, I had 4 (need to fill one) of them already. So that's where the 10 comes in. To me, 10 isn't bad at all

Michele NC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,906 Member
    Options
    B)<3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    SuziQ - I don't find your gratitudes self-centered at all. You've created a life you obviously love, and are to be congratulated for the strength to do so. I utterly agree that loving and respecting yourself draws the same from others. When we have no regard for ourselves, we get the same disregard from others.

This hit me hard! I always try to see that everyone in my family has a happy birthday, Christmas, etc. and this year my birthday came around and no one remembered!

Carol in GA

Carol I think that was very thoughtless of your family and husband, Many times my girls could not afford to do anything but always sent beautiful cards, this year was a real full blown celebration for my 70th. Personally I would have let them all know my feelings were hurt. I may be a very needy person :)

Much love
    Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    Janetr - I'm so sorry about your eldest daughter. My separation/divorce hit me very, very hard. I could hardly get out of bed and cried all the time. And Iwas the one who instigated it! As you know, I am now happier than I have ever been. We can't know the future when we are going through the present, but I'm sure the counsellor will help her. I had to go for grief counselling from the Marriage Guidance. This time of year was the worst.

Carol - My elder son, who I've just been up to visit, never even sends me a card for my birthday. No text even. :'( It doesn't mean he doesn't love me. Having said that, I always let everyone know it is my birthday and organize my celebration myself. This year I booked the cruise. Most years I book a short holiday and a meal. I don't expect anyone else to remember and DH would never book anything off his own bat. I'm booker in chief!
    My mother had her faults, but she always "You have to blow your own trumpet, because no one else is going to blow it for you"
    My DDIL says that people are not mind readers, if you want something you have to ask. (This is because I was upset that no one had taken a photo of me finishing my first Parkrun. No one was even at the finish. ;) )
    Good advice!

Today I heard back from a cousin I was worrying about. He used to send me an email Christmas card every year, but last year he didn't and his email address was defunct. I sent a card to his old address, asking for information about him. He has just been in touch and said he will write and explain his silence.. We used to be great friends as children. I haven't seen him for years, but it's good to know he hasn't died.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    okie - yes, that would be 21 gifts. However, I have some that I made and some that I've already bought. We have to shop for 7 possibly 8 people. That would be 21 (or 24) gifts all together. I made 7 of those, I bought 3, I had 4 (need to fill one) of them already. So that's where the 10 comes in. To me, 10 isn't bad at all

Michele NC

But doesn’t Vince have to give everyone three gifts too? If everyone is expected to buy you and Vince each 3 gifts, don’t you each then have to get everyone 3 gifts? Sorry, I’m confused.

Okie
  • okiewoman510
    Options
    Barbara - Hugs! You make me feel special. Thank you.

Okie
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Suebdew I sure hope you are doing okay! I hate accidents and the pain they cause!! I have had you in my prayers and am hoping you are improving each day!! <3

<3 Luci in WNC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Home after a lovely walk in the cold air with DH, he is very focussed on recovering from his knee surgery and eating better. Walked 3 miles outdoors and will still walk the treadmill later today. Woohoo!

NYKAREN