WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The exceedingly verbose Machka is having difficulty getting the first assignment of her current course down to 800 words. 🤨🤪

How do the expect me to explain all they want explained in 800 words? Without even trying, I waved my hands over the keyboard and had over 2000 words.

Machka in Oz

It's 11:45 pm and I've submitted! I got it down to 860 words and decided not to try to squeeze it any smaller than that.

I'm just a bit nervous about this ... if the course were within my usual department, I've grown to know what they expect but the course is in a different department and so I'm not sure just how strict they are with certain things. We'll see. Fortunately this first assignment isn't worth a large amount.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. Feel free to join in whenever you'd like ...

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Day 12 - November 26 - Texture: Smooth. Since the measles (?) in 2016, I need to wear very smooth clothes. I've been thankful to find such things at a good price.

And the soft texture of the fur of kitties. :)

Day 13 - November 27 - Abilities: I am very thankful for my organisational skills. I don't know how I would have survived with the past 20 months without them!!

Deep breath ...

Day 14 - November 28 - Sight: What sight am I grateful for?

The sight of all the roses and other flowers in our garden. :)
    The view from our dining room window out over the water. :)
    The beach my bus goes by morning and evening ... sometimes there is sea wildlife out there. I've seen dolphins, a stingray and a whale! :)
    The mountain behind the city. :)

Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Day 15 - November 29 - Season: Summer. I'm always thankful for summer! The warmth. The long daylight hours. I come alive in summer. :) One more day till summer!

Day 16 - November 30 - My Body: I'm thankful for my brain and my legs. My brain, because it often has to be a brain for two of us now and although it fails me now and then, I'm so glad things like my memory seem to have improved. And my legs because they are what carry me around and allow me to do things like cycling and running.

Day 17 - December 1 - Knowledge: Coincidentally, my current course is Knowledge Management. :) I appreciate everything I've learned through formal education, experience, and life in general. I'm especially thankful for being at a point where I feel reasonably comfortable around computers ... but can still learn more! Even just today, I learned how to add contacts into my phone.

Day 18 - December 2 - Piece of Art: Hmmm ... I am thankful for my sister-in-law's art and gifts to us. :) She has given us paintings, wood carvings, and vases.

One of her vases ...
    wxw16qqq2dk4.png

Day 19 - December 3 - Touch: My husband's hugs! There were a few months when I thought I'd never have his hugs again. His hugs were one thing I dreamt about during those months.

Day 20 - December 4 - Who in my life am I grateful for? My parents ... who have been so supportive of me through all I've done and been through. I love them both and hope that one day, in a few years, we'll be able to live closer to them again. :heart:

Day 21 - December 5 - What song am I grateful for? This is a really difficult one. I like music of all sorts!! And what I listen to on a particular day largely depends on my mood. I'm just generally thankful for music! :)

Day 22 - December 6 - What story am I grateful for? The Christmas story is special. And the little stories that make up our lives ... "Remember when ... " :)

Day 23 - December 7 - Tradition. Hmmm ... I don't do a lot of traditions, I don't think. My birthday weekend might be a new tradition. I've been actively doing that for the 10 years I've lived in Australia. At Christmas, I probably have the most traditions and I am thankful for them for the connections ...

Day 24 - December 8 - Challenge. The biggest challenge of my 52 years of life was when my husband had a workplace accident which resulted in a severe brain injury 20 months ago. I'm struggling to be thankful for that.

Challenges I am more thankful for are all the opportunities I've had to cycle long, long, long, ultra long distances. :) I hope to be able to dabble in that again.

Machka in Oz

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    Ha Ha I did survive the fall , they were nice enough to bring me ice at the restaurant, so I iced it right away..I am a bit sore this morning, but thank the good Lord for sparing me any further injury.
    SuziQ- thank you for words of wisdom I will be working on my resume and cover letter today with Trudy and ,will get myself dolled up, go do blood work early and drop off all my things at Nursing home before work i go in at 10, so the office opens at 9
    you are right I have to go in with a good attitude

I am so proud of you! Go and get them!!!!!
  • Machka9
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Sunday -- We got outside for a bicycle ride!

Distance: 20.15 km
    Moving Time: 1:26:03
    Elevation: 204 m

Machka in Oz

I've finally been able to start my Cycling in Australia - Summer 2019/20 album in Flickr!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157712113858832

This is some of the scenery we see on some of our rides ... and there are 4 more photos in the album now. I hope there will be more before the month is over. :)

It hit 19C today ... one of the warmer days we've had in the last couple weeks. :)

f6ha62bqnvgr.png

Machka in Oz
  • RhondaSebas
    RhondaSebas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

SuziQ - great haircut, you look fabulous. B) Love that chart!! Congrats! What a super way to keep track of your progress, and keep up the motivation. <3 I did one similar to that when I was on WW as well. I need to dig that out.

Yesterday I went back to see what/how I was eating when I was getting in shape in 2018. I found I was eating higher carbs than I've been allowing myself recently, and often when I'd go after a snack after supper, I'd end up with peanut butter and be satisfied. High fat.

I saw something recently that some of us are engineered to process carbs, others do better on a higher fat/protein diet. This was per DNA studies, and I think it was an ad to pay for a DNA test. :p But, there might be something to it. Won't spring for their test, but I'm pondering if getting more carbs (fruit and starchy veg) with my meals might not stop some of the cravings for it at night.

Janetr - sending many ((HUGS)) your way. So happy to hear your daughter was admitted and will be under care.

Suebdew - my word, glad you are OK!

Pip - you are taking me back down memory lane with the Seattle photos. My last job up there was an office near the Fremont bridge. Often spent lunch hours scooting around Fremont and Ballard. Good luck on your run, weather doesn't look too bad today!

SuziCarter - so where are the photos of the new pupster? :D Love boxers!!! When we brought a puppy into a single dog household, the older dog's feelings were hurt and she still tolerates the incomer. But if the little one has to go to the vet or groomer, the older dog worries and frets the whole time she's gone. And vicey versa.

Carol - Happy belated and upcoming birthdays. <3 This past year I missed the niece and nephews birthdays because of the medical stuff I was going thru. Just didn't come up on my radar. I'd remember when I'd eventually see something on their Facebook pages and pop in a greeting on there. The only birthday card I reliably get from relatives is from my sister. Anyhow, if I had relatives close by and wanted to celebrate I'd probably say something like "where are you all taking me to eat on my birthday? It's coming up you know!"

Anyhow, I always get a nice card and gift from my BFF. The daughter I never had, lol. I get DH a card and we used to go out to eat before he became uncomfortable with being in public.

To divert a bit from this subject, I saw something recently on Facebook, or perhaps someone posted it here - how to say "I love you". It's about saying things like "Drive safely" and "I miss you". It's really about saying "I care about you" isn't it? Many aren't comfortable about saying the "love" word but show it in so many ways. And I am grateful.

Allie - good luck with the job!

Lisa
    - have a great time on your trip. I really miss the long drives with DH, and the conversations we'd have when we were younger and we didn't mind traveling. They were generally to pick up sheep. We once made a mad dash from near the Seattle area to Saskatchewan. First time through Montana - it was speedy but beautiful.

Yesterday I threw together a vegan lentil soup/stew. I don't normally add meat to lentil soups, but this recipe intrigued me because vegans depend on protein from different sources than I am used to. So it had mushrooms added. I altered the recipe a bit and first sauteed a LOT of sliced mushrooms in a bit of butter and olive oil. And cut back on the potatoes and added a parsnip (yummy).

Decided to make a swag for the front door this year, found some good directions on Youtube. Getting the greenery won't be a problem. Swags and small wreathes start out at $15 to $25 and up at all the stores around here. Would rather put that $$ in the Salvation Army bucket.

Had lunch with my friend on Thursday, we met early and were finished just after 12. Since the restaurant was getting busy and the parking is limited, we shot out the door to get going and let others have our spots. We were approached by an old toothless fellow, pretty much dressed in rags, super thin, could barely talk coherently - asked for money to fix his car or a meal or ?? couldn't make it out. Took us by surprise and we were anxious to get going plus sometimes these folks are unstable and get violent. Being so close to I-5, a lot of drifters end up here.

When I got home I remembered I had some Ensure food replacement I'd purchased this past summer when I had surgery, in case I couldn't eat for a few days. So I threw that in the car along with bottles of water - if I see him or someone like him again, I can at least tide them over with a meal that doesn't have to be chewed.

On that note, time to get the dogs up. Make it a wonderful day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    ic2n0nmejj1j.jpeg2ejpmgoscsll.jpeg
    o591mvwyj5u1.jpeg

Barbara- Yes JRs 4ft tall that’s why we struggle finding toys to shopping carts he can fit in .Most stores do not have Carolina carts! Yesterday night found out JR broke the potty lid off trying to pry it open probably wanted to toss another toothbrush in! Genetic Gigantism runs in our family. Sz 6 some 6/7 clothes sz 10 & 11 shoes depends on if it’s a boot ,sandal,or tennis shoes. We have him in a Full sz bed. The trees 9ft tall this year. Our house is built for people who are tall so tallest sinks to doors y ceilings. He sits at regular tables without a booster seat cause he fits perfectly already. He has grown out of 18 sizes of clothing since birth that’s a growth spurt average of every 1.7 months .Gigantism only effects Males in our families. My side Women can get dwarfism genetically or be short...I’m one of the taller Women 5ft 4 3/4th / Daughter 5ft 2

Amber Tx

Today 1 slice pizza per meal with Crystal light tea.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    evuafmyepn9w.jpeg
    cqmt956rhtjh.jpeg
    jzifdf3dhnrc.jpegtwdmywaup9wh.jpeg

Amber Tx

Good news is our giant raccoon with his new tiny short females is scared of JR lol their the same height but JR has the high pitched excited “KITTY!” Scream 😱
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,279 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Left home in sunshine, and now travelling through torrential rain. The joys of the Irish weather! 😂

🎄🤶 Gratitude for Christmas 🎅🏻🎄
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didn’t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! 🍫 My ultimate comfort food.
    #5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6, 20 Nov: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights.
    #7, 21 Nov: Memory: This triggered a veritable avalanche of memories of my life, the happy moments crowding out the less pleasant ones. So... the memory I am most grateful for is my own selective memory, which chooses to focus on the positives, and reframe the negatives as learning experiences.
    #8, 22 Nov: Book: "Unlimited Power" by Tony Robbins. This book was a revelation to me and showed me that I was in charge of my life. It was pretty scary at first to accept responsibility for all my actions and decisions. It was no longer possible for me to blame others or make excuses. But it was such a positive turning point in my life. I revisit it often.
    #9, 23 Nov - Place: the place I am most grateful for is the quiet place in my head where I go when I meditate.
    #10, 24 Nov - Taste: Today grandson had made an experimental mulled wine drizzle cake. I was grateful that it tasted so good, (not all of his experiments turn out so well 😂) Fortunately, I always hold calories for my Sunday visit, so was able to fully enjoy his delightful concoction (NB: lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites)
    #11, 25 Nov - Holiday: I love my annual week's family holiday on the West coast of Ireland with our DED and the grands. This year was our 24th year of these holidays. We started them with my DMiL when our granddaughter was just 8 months old. I am grateful that all 3 grands still want to come on these holidays with us.
    #12, 25 Nov, Texture: I love the feel of fresh soft fluffy towels after my shower.
    #13, 26 Nov, Abilities: I treasure my ability to be adaptable, and look for the positive in situations.
    #14, 27 Nov, Sight: I appreciate the sight of my husband bringing my tea in bed each morning. It means I can take my time waking up.
    #15, 28 Nov, Season: All the season's have their good points' but the spring is my favourite because it heralds the end of winter and the lengthening of daylight hours.
    #16, 29 Nov: I'm grateful that bones are strong. I have been very fortunate in that I have never had a broken bone. Long may that continue.
    #17, 30 Nov, Knowledge: I'm grateful the self-knowledge I have gained on this health and fitness journey. Now all I have to do is apply it! 😂
    #18, 1 Dec, Piece of art: Not sure why but found this one difficult. Settled on this. It a fire screen that my Nana embroidered. It sat in front of the fire in her sitting room. I rescued it when my aunt was about to throw it away after redecorating her apartment after my uncle had been taken into residential care with Alzheimer's. It means more to me than all the fancy paintings in the world.
    #19, 2 Dec, Touch: This morning I am so grateful for DH's hand on my shoulder when he woke me with my morning cuppa. He is the wind beneath my wings. In light the two bereavement last weekend, I am especially conscious of the fact that many of my contemporaries don't have that luxury.
    #20, 3 Dec, Person: I am most grateful for my DH. He puts up with all my foibles, and shows his affections in so many different ways. And he keeps me on an even keel. I'm fortunate that I have him in my life.
    #21, 4 Dec, Song: There are so many songs that I love. But 2 that I regard as my anthems are
    Girls just wanna have fun, Cindi Lauper which always has me up and dancing Tubthumping, Chumbawamba which has seen me through some down times #22, 5 Dec - Story: The first one that sprung to mind was "It's a Wonderful Life". I saw the film starring James Stewart as a child, and loved it. The second one that came to mind was "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.
    #23, 6 Dec - Tradition: I'm grateful for our family tradition of all getting together at various times during the year, especially Christmas.
    #24, 7 Dec - Challenge: I'm grateful for several. The 'Just for today daily goals' Challenge focuses my mind daily on what I want to achieve, and the Ultimate Accountability Challenge has helped me build good habits.
    #25, 8 Dec - Moment this week: The moment I stepped on the scale and weight had dropped below. 150lbs. My weight goal for 2019 was 155.

(((Hugs))) to Allie and Janetr, and any one else having a hard time 💕💖💕

Hope you are all having a fun weekend.

☘️ Terri

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather, beautiful picture, you have a lovely family. So happy you moved and are making memories for all of you to cherish <3

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Janetr - a little tear came to my eye this morning when you said she'd been admitted. To be honest, when you are in that state I think you are alone whoever is there with you. She will come through this and be all the stronger for it. <3

I've had a little doze on the sofa. When I woke up DH was upstairs on the elliptical. :o:#;):D Well, he's a better man than me.

My outside tree lights have packed up. New batteries haven't cured it. I will order some more. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,371 Member
    Options
    Talked to Denise today. She’s anxious about coming down here, she said she doesn’t care that we drove to FL, she’s a different person. She wants us to say “wait until PJ is older”. But the only thing is, you know that this will go on for years. I REALLY wish she’d go to the MD and get something for this anxiety because if she continues to be anxious, it’s going to be a vicious cycle. She’s anxious, PJ feels it so he’s anxious, which gets Denise more anxious, which gets PJ more anxious. Now she’s saying that Maria might not come down. I really wish she would, that might be such a help to Denise. I told Denise that years ago when Jess was an infant I flew to FL and swore that I would never do it again, it was just too much of a hassle. Denise is concerned that she can’t take PJ out of his car seat and hold him. I told her she can stop at a rest area and take him out of the car seat. She feels that lots of stops will just make the trip longer. Vince told her that I make lots of stops (which is true, for some reason and I think it’s because of the dry air I drink lots of water) and it usually only adds an extra hour. She’s still freaking out. I really wish she would go to a MD to get something to take for her anxiety so that she can get over it eventually.

Did training games on the Wii today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the extremepump class

I would think that if Pete asked his mother to come down here and help Denise that she would. I know that there have been things that I haven’t wanted to do, that I’ve been anxious about and thought “oh, why can’t they just skip it or do such-and-such instead” but I did it because my child asked me, my child needed me.

Made a chocolate cake for Vince and iced it, fryed up some salmon cakes but found that I really need to defrost them first, then breaded the flounder. I found out the other day that they seem to fry up frozen. They’re thin enough that they defrost when they’re fried and they don’t stick to the pan as much as if they were defrosted. Now I have to try this with the catfish.

Barbara – I’ve had it where the Wii did not register my weight. But I did find out that it will register as long as I don’t turn it off too soon. The MD’s office told me that they accept Medicare and that when they transfer to the new group, that group also accepts Medicare. I think what happened is they saw that my insurance that I have now will expire so that’s why they cancelled the appt. I would think they should have called me to find out if there was a reason why it will be cancelled, but they didn’t. Didn’t think. I do hope that Denise maturing helps her, but somehow I doubt it. Pete isn’t very mature and I think his parents give in to this and treat it like it’s the way things should be. They won’t try to help Denise get over this (at least that’s what I think) but instead tell her how her feelings are perfectly OK.

Wonder when Vince wants to make the pierogi. Maybe Tues since it’s supposed to be raining so we can’t decorate outside. I was talking to a lady at the holiday party and she told me about a stitching group, that they would help me put PJ’s name on his stocking. That seems to be the hardest part

Welcome LondonParisTexas to a great group. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Okie – no, Vince doesn’t have to give three gifts, too. It’ll be three gifts from us, three from Denise and Pete, and three from Jess and Colby. Thanks for bringing this up. I just sent an email to everyone making sure they realized it

Lucy – we did enjoy the concert. I do think, tho, that this year they cut back on things. Like they didn’t have the catwalk that goes over the crowd. But that’s OK

Carol – how horrible you must feel that no one remembered your birthday.

SuziQ – your face looks so much thinner

Janetr – prayers for your daughter. I’m glad she’s somewhere that she can get the help she needs

Amber – maybe someday JR can decorate the top of that 9’ tree. ROTF

Allie – you take care of yourself, ya hear?

Suzicarter – congrats on the new acquisition! I’m so sorry about your old dog, but excited for you with the new one

M – knowing me, I was upset at the time, but I won’t really chew these people out. Maybe I’ll just ask “why didn’t someone call me?” but that’ll probably be the extent of it. It’s not like me to really get mad at someone. Vince has said many times “you’re just too nice”. I’m even nice to telemarketers, which bothers Vince.

Pip – good luck!

Melanie – welcome!

Michele in NC