Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Median household income, also showing variation between states and metro areas.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/09/us-median-household-income-up-in-2018-from-2017.html

Remember there are lots of single-worker households.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the median would be happier if they made a bit more money.

Magnus's point - as I understood it - is being lost: That after a perhaps (?) surprisingly low level of income that takes care of basic necessities with fair assurance, more money is not the strongest determinant of life satisfaction, according to research.

Whatever that income level is, a marketer sees there a consumer who'll be likely to spend some amount of money chasing that life satisfaction. This is a desirable target consumer.

If that consumer doesn't really explicitly realize they're unsatisfied, and doesn't really know what would improve things, that's a potentially manipulatable consumer: Very useful.

Speculation is that's behind this ad strategy . . . which is a somewhat separate issue from whether the ad is successful in its attempt to work this strategy.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/09/us-median-household-income-up-in-2018-from-2017.html

Yeah but I'm pretty sure the median would be happier if they made a bit more money.

Ah, I misread and thought you were questioning what the median income was.

I think you are right that the happiness thing is using $60-$75K for an individual for happiness. Here's a fuller discussion:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/heres-the-ideal-income-for-the-typical-american-family.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-exactly-how-much-money-you-need-to-be-truly-happy-earning-more-wont-help-2018-02-14
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited December 2019

Ah, I misread and thought you were questioning what the median income was.

I think you are right that the happiness thing is using $60-$75K for an individual for happiness. Here's a fuller discussion:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/heres-the-ideal-income-for-the-typical-american-family.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-exactly-how-much-money-you-need-to-be-truly-happy-earning-more-wont-help-2018-02-14

No worries. No I accept the median income figures and I also accept that as someone who lives in one of the highest cost of living areas I have bias that makes me feel like 75k is not a lot of money that may not apply other places. That said I still feel that "household" implies that you have dependants and that 75k total income with dependants is a state where you would probably feel some relief of stress and therefore happiness with additional income.

But yeah from a biased perspective from a high cost area you can make 3x the median and still feel like the belt is a bit tight.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Reckoner68 wrote: »
    Maybe I am dead inside as the ad itself triggered no feelings whatsoever within me, I guess I'll have to search elsewhere for something to grant substance to this empty existence

I just saw the ad for the first time and I can't see what the big deal is either.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    This has been a fun thread!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Maybe I am dead inside as the ad itself triggered no feelings whatsoever within me, I guess I'll have to search elsewhere for something to grant substance to this empty existence

I just saw the ad for the first time and I can't see what the big deal is either.

are you a dude?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

are you a dude?

If you look at her profile, it says female.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    No, I'm not a dude, but my husband, friends and family often tell me I think like a dude lol.
    Ok- here's my opinion of the ad when I first saw it. I assumed (yeah yeah i know) that she ASKED for the Peleton for Christmas. Why? Because that's the kind of things i ask for. Even though she's thin, maybe she can't walk a quarter of a mile without getting winded, maybe she wants to train and eventually enter a race. I don't know- I've got bigger problems than a fictional husband giving his fictional wife a Peleton and what exactly he means by it. People are too quick to get offended by EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. Life is too short to stress over nothing.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the indicator is that it was a total surprise. I saw it like a red ryder rifle thing, where it's what they wanted but didn't expect to get, in this case probably because it's so grossly expensive lol.

Although they could have made it a little more realistic by her saying "oh my gosh- just like I wanted!" Whatever- somebody somewhere would have been like "what a pig! He got her what she asked for instead of putting some thought into the gift! He is so lazy!" It's a lose/lose situation any which way you put it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    No, I'm not a dude, but my husband, friends and family often tell me I think like a dude lol.
    Ok- here's my opinion of the ad when I first saw it. I assumed (yeah yeah i know) that she ASKED for the Peleton for Christmas. Why? Because that's the kind of things i ask for. Even though she's thin, maybe she can't walk a quarter of a mile without getting winded, maybe she wants to train and eventually enter a race. I don't know- I've got bigger problems than a fictional husband giving his fictional wife a Peleton and what exactly he means by it. People are too quick to get offended by EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. Life is too short to stress over nothing.

I'm female and agree with you.

While I heard about the controversy before I saw the ad, I believe I would have thought that it was something she asked for as well.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member

Yeah, I'm not sure where the indicator is that it was a total surprise. I saw it like a red ryder rifle thing, where it's what they wanted but didn't expect to get, in this case probably because it's so grossly expensive lol.

Although they could have made it a little more realistic by her saying "oh my gosh- just like I wanted!" Whatever- somebody somewhere would have been like "what a pig! He got her what she asked for instead of putting some thought into the gift! He is so lazy!" It's a lose/lose situation any which way you put it.

To me, her nervousness over her first ride was more of an indication that it was a surprise gift, but of course everyone interprets things differently. I feel silly even commenting on my interpretation though, because its kind of ridiculous that this commercial is being analyzed as much as it is. I think people are going to naturally put themselves in that situation and see the commercial from their own point of view which is why some people may have a problem with it. I still think theres nothing wrong with the commercial and any outrage is ridiculous, but some people just need to have something to be pissed off about I suppose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    There was an ironic Peloton shoutout on Full Frontal this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLvlUWZ3Dw
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Your link led to nowhere. I find that sooo sexist. :angry:

There's a bad driver joke in there somewhere.

The link is obviously a guy, because he refused to stop to ask for directions.

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    In the end it'll just fade away like all of the other diet and exercise fads that have come and gone. Like step-aerobics classes and the cabbage soup diet. But in the meantime there is some overweight and unhappy millenial sitting on his or her couch wishing for it, watching the commercial and thinking 'if only I could have this Peloton then I too could be happy and skinny and live in a cool house and be able to get up early and drive a nice car and wear nice clothes to work and have a great kid and....' Because that's what ads do. They don't sell you the product, the sell you the subconscious notion that your life can be as cool or as perfect as the characters portrayed in the ad if you use the product.