December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner That's awesome! Congratulations!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I am really excited! I got drawn in a race lottery for the first time ever. I never ever get drawn for any race, but my luck has changed... I will run Chicago again next year! (This year, I did for charity.)

Congrats man!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am really excited! I got drawn in a race lottery for the first time ever. I never ever get drawn for any race, but my luck has changed... I will run Chicago again next year! (This year, I did for charity.)

yay
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    tell me more @avidkeo, I have a pain in the shin for the last few days and it doesn't seem to be lessening.

I'll link the YouTube video.

I admit I was a complete skeptic the first time, which was in Fab this year. At that poi t I'd been suffering posterior shin splints for about 2-3 weeks I think. Came across this video after trying EVERYTHING else, and thought I'd give it ago. Based on my comments on the video, it worked amazing - worth reading the comments.

So when I had shin splints for 3 days at the beginning of this week, I had another look at the video and tried the technique. Basically did the same thing I did last time. And today I'm pain free. Have not yet run on it but running was never an issue, it was mostly painful with walking.

https://youtu.be/jlzSG8axviA
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

YAY!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    YAY! Congratulations! @T1DCarnivoreRunner
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 yay, well done! Now go do it again. Not today? Ok, maybe tomorrow.

I thought about forcing myself to run along what has now been christened in my brain as 'crime scene route' but decided I didn't need to confront the demon quite that quickly and just going for a run would be sufficient. Bog-standard 5km run done, nothing to report except it was very windy which made my cap keep blowing off, which pissed me off.
    Then I went to see the physio, who massaged my legs and commented that they were 'very good' today. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy. Also made me think that it's taken a year but I'm finally recovered and I think I'm doing a good job of maintaining where I want to be. Now I need to decide whether running a trail HM on Feb 28, a road HM on March 22 and then doing a week-long hiking holiday covering around 120km at Easter is sensible or even feasible. The second two are already booked and paid for, I need to make my mind up about the trail race.

My daughter is struggling a LOT this month (end of term exams, anxiety, general teenage stuff, etc etc etc) and damn it hurts to watch. I'm desperately searching for ways to help her deal with the stress. So wish she'd run with me. Argh.

@eleanorhawkins --- SAME with the daughter! I just got back from a meeting at her school and it actually went really well where for the first time ever, they said - She's doing better than I think she is - she's come SUCH a long way and she is going to be all right!

Was just thinking that sentiment might encourage you as much as it did me. ;)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    All right, after checking the weather I have determined that I HAVE to run tonight. Also, if we consider the marathon is in April, then I can't keep missing days?

I'm overthinking, I know. Saturday, I really kicked butt but my legs didn't feel normal until yesterday. I am worried I won't be able to finish the race if I don't make myself run more times per week. Gahhhh

I suppose there will be easier weeks to get it done as well as harder weeks - I just want to really make sure I'm not sabotaging myself...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Did I mention I kinda, sorta, accidentally on purpose signed up for my first full marathon...

Yikes!

YAY!!! CONGRATS!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    All right, after checking the weather I have determined that I HAVE to run tonight. Also, if we consider the marathon is in April, then I can't keep missing days?

I'm overthinking, I know. Saturday, I really kicked butt but my legs didn't feel normal until yesterday. I am worried I won't be able to finish the race if I don't make myself run more times per week. Gahhhh

I suppose there will be easier weeks to get it done as well as harder weeks - I just want to really make sure I'm not sabotaging myself...

You should be actively training now for an April marathon. Depending on your shape when you start, 16 weeks is a good period of time to plan to train for one. So, yes, get out and run, also... you do have a training plan right? :)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! @T1DCarnivoreRunner. I too can safely say that I have never won a lottery either 😏
  • PastorVincent
    Options

You should be actively training now for an April marathon. Depending on your shape when you start, 16 weeks is a good period of time to plan to train for one. So, yes, get out and run, also... you do have a training plan right? :)

@PastorVincent yes! I’m bridging to 10k to marathon. I’ve looked at the marathon schedules and it seems to be an effective way to keep going as long as i keep increasing the miles through the week but more importantly on the weekend long run.

I just have to be more disciplined through the week and adjust where I can with the kids’ needs. This will be no small feat- even this evening i have already dealt with two meltdowns and it isn’t even 7:30. I haven’t even changed clothes to run and I’m not entirely sure I’ll get to :(

I only have one child, but he is in the teen drama years so I get it. :) Good luck!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    Yay @ContraryMaryMary ! Which marathon did you sign up for and when is it?