December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Today's race was harder than I expected. We ran a mountain biking trail at a zip line park. Lots of slow and sneaky ups and downs. And then some brutal uphills. Trails were very technical. One dog broke his lead and caused a bit of havoc before the start. Speed demon was anxious but once we hit the trail, she found her stride and enjoyed it. It was slow race. I had to walk the first mile.
    l5q672tqn992.jpg
    x2zfd8ac3ecs.png

xng8zuj0ylbx.jpg
    hcqfia0a1dp1.jpg

Sorry it was tough, but it sounds beautiful. I may have missed this in an earlier post, but was this a dog+human race? That would be pretty sweet. Also, what does it mean to say a trail is technical?
  • durhammfp
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo Congrats on your 1st place AG win! Great race!

Way to go on your race too @mbaker566! So happy you got to run with Speed Demon!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner way to power through your race! That takes a lot of fortitude to finish while nursing a calf injury!

Thank you! It wasn't supposed to be a calf problem. It was just the achilles until around mile 18-ish today and then I had calf cramps in the other leg and limped quite a bit of the way after that.

Were the cramp caused by favoring your achillies? Good job finishing the race!

No, I don't think so. It may have played a role, but I think it was primarily electrolytes. I have a test scheduled next week to find out how much salt is in my sweat. I am guessing it will be a much higher amount per fluid oz. than average. I stopped at one point and observed that my calf was spasming as I stood still.

When it gets really bad, the cramps cause my calf muscles to stretch and slide underneath each other. It stretches so much that my calf diameter suddenly is halved (it appears... I haven't actually measuree during these spasming cramps) and it looks like a chunk of leg is gone. It didn't get that bad today, but very close. When that happens, it is so painful that I am usually screaming and breathing like I am caught in a vice or something.

Oh man! That sounds painful! Has your PT given you any exercises to prevent that or work through it when it happens?

I had never heard of a saline sweat test before, that sounds pretty interesting. Is it in conjunction with a blood test on serum sodium/potassium levels?

• durhammfp
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I guess the PT exercises are working, making my glutes work harder and helping my form down the chain.

What kind of exercises are those? I have to admit I have not started any strength training or stretching program (though I do do the 5-minute walking thing before running to warm up so I don't run cold....) Is there a 10-20 minute series of basic body-weight strength exercises you would recommend?

• durhammfp
    Options
    Injury update - this past Wednesday night I gave my legs a test run (walking and jogging a quarter mile at a time) with a friend. It felt good to get out there again. Unfortunately it was too much too soon and resulted in me limping from the soreness the next few days. I think I enjoyed the company of my friend so much that i didn’t recognize early signs that I was overdoing it. So... I’m regrouping and will be back to more walking now that I am no longer limping. When I’m ready to test my jogging legs again I think I need to do so solo. I’m contemplating joining a gym since the treadmill may be easier and less impact than running on the road. Hamstring injuries are frustrating...

I hope you start feeling better sooner-ish than later-ish!
  • durhammfp
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So yesterday when I was driving to stay with my dad, I started to feel very poorly. Severe heartburn, sweating, and nausea. Stopped to get some Pepto but just felt horrible. Thought I might be having a heart attack as I looked up the symptoms for women. So I called myself an ambulance. Spent the rest of the day in the er.

Turns out I have gall stones and (yes there's an and) an ovarian cyst! Yay! Luckily neither one needed emergency surgery. Got a referral to a surgeon and told to see my OBGYN.

So on top of my father on his deathbed, I will probably have to have surgery! Great way to finish the year!

I can say I am feeling better today just have almost no appetite. Taking it easy.

Oh no! I have to say I'm proud of you. So many women ignore those symptoms, or worse drive themselves to the ER.

And im so glad it's gall stones and a cyst! Not your heart!

Ditto. It is always better to be safe than sorry. And it is good to know what the issue is for sure and have it taken care of.

• durhammfp
    Options
    Just so bored of the rain already. No jogging for the last 4 days though still getting jalking mileage in so at least active.

It seems such a tough time for many so I should get my head down, be grateful for what I have got, and get on with it. Merry almost Chirstmas :smile:

I'm sitting here looking out at the dreariness of the day myself. I will psyche myself up and get lost in it soon, I hope...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So yesterday when I was driving to stay with my dad, I started to feel very poorly. Severe heartburn, sweating, and nausea. Stopped to get some Pepto but just felt horrible. Thought I might be having a heart attack as I looked up the symptoms for women. So I called myself an ambulance. Spent the rest of the day in the er.

Turns out I have gall stones and (yes there's an and) an ovarian cyst! Yay! Luckily neither one needed emergency surgery. Got a referral to a surgeon and told to see my OBGYN.

So on top of my father on his deathbed, I will probably have to have surgery! Great way to finish the year!

I can say I am feeling better today just have almost no appetite. Taking it easy.

Oh no! I have to say I'm proud of you. So many women ignore those symptoms, or worse drive themselves to the ER.

And im so glad it's gall stones and a cyst! Not your heart!

This!!! Man. Must have been scary!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »

Doing ok here post surgery. Can’t lie - it hurts just to sit up and there are times where I can’t imagine ever feeling like me again. But I keep jumping back on here, looking at race photos and reminding myself that it’s early days.

Keep going everyone - warm weather gear on and smash out a strong end to the year! X

It IS early days. I always set a goal for the pain, give it 1- 2 weeks and it’ll be better. Every day get better in fact. It’s just sometimes very slow. Out of 4 hip surgeries only one (bone rodding ) required taking pain meds as scheduled and I was off them by 3-4 weeks. Make a pain plan. Enjoy the rest.

I liked to do research and find others with the same experience. The Susan g komen organization would offer some pick me up stories if you need to get out of your our head. And they run/walk.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    December Goal – 100 miles

Dec 2 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 4 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 7 – 10.03 miles
    Dec 9 – 5.11 miles

It was raining when I started my run so everyone but me and another lady bailed. It was their loss though because it was only a light rain which stopped about 5 minutes into the run. Temp was around 47F so it turned out to be great weather. If I’m going to make goal this month I really need to pick up the pace!

@Christine4695 – Extra hugs to you!

@Faebert – Sending healing thoughts your way!

@rheddmobile – I had to laugh at the camel poo incident! Great pace on your run!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @quilteryoyo Congrats on your 1st place AG win! Great race!

Way to go on your race too @mbaker566! So happy you got to run with Speed Demon!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner way to power through your race! That takes a lot of fortitude to finish while nursing a calf injury!

Thank you! It wasn't supposed to be a calf problem. It was just the achilles until around mile 18-ish today and then I had calf cramps in the other leg and limped quite a bit of the way after that.

Were the cramp caused by favoring your achillies? Good job finishing the race!

No, I don't think so. It may have played a role, but I think it was primarily electrolytes. I have a test scheduled next week to find out how much salt is in my sweat. I am guessing it will be a much higher amount per fluid oz. than average. I stopped at one point and observed that my calf was spasming as I stood still.

When it gets really bad, the cramps cause my calf muscles to stretch and slide underneath each other. It stretches so much that my calf diameter suddenly is halved (it appears... I haven't actually measuree during these spasming cramps) and it looks like a chunk of leg is gone. It didn't get that bad today, but very close. When that happens, it is so painful that I am usually screaming and breathing like I am caught in a vice or something.

Oh man! That sounds painful! Has your PT given you any exercises to prevent that or work through it when it happens?

I had never heard of a saline sweat test before, that sounds pretty interesting. Is it in conjunction with a blood test on serum sodium/potassium levels?

No PT, I am self diagnosing and self managing. I don't have time for drs. or PT's these days.

The sweat test is just stand alone.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Today's race was harder than I expected. We ran a mountain biking trail at a zip line park. Lots of slow and sneaky ups and downs. And then some brutal uphills. Trails were very technical. One dog broke his lead and caused a bit of havoc before the start. Speed demon was anxious but once we hit the trail, she found her stride and enjoyed it. It was slow race. I had to walk the first mile.
    l5q672tqn992.jpg
    x2zfd8ac3ecs.png

xng8zuj0ylbx.jpg
    hcqfia0a1dp1.jpg

Sorry it was tough, but it sounds beautiful. I may have missed this in an earlier post, but was this a dog+human race? That would be pretty sweet. Also, what does it mean to say a trail is technical?

"technical" - for road runners, read that as "hard" - it means that there are roots, hills, mud, and other issues that require more experience to run safely.

@durhammfp what @PastorVincent yes, it was a mountain bike trail. It was very muddy. Lots of hidden roots and rocks under the leaf litter. The trails were banked.
    Speed demon and I participate in canicross races. Not a lot of runs in my area allow dogs so this series is a great opportunity for her. She was feral so it's a good chance for her to socialize. Low pressure
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,027 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 10.05 miles
    12/3: 6.25 miles
    12/4: 6.05 miles
    12/5: 6.25 miles
    12/8: 10.10 miles
    12/9: 6.05 miles

44.75/100 miles completed

I ran 6 miles this morning. I usually take Monday as a rest day, but I decided to switch my rest day to Tuesday this week. It was 60°F this morning. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 36°F with rain/possible snow. There is a part of me that wants to run in the snow since I haven't had that opportunity before. But if we get any tomorrow it won't be freezing and it will be dark and raining with some possible flakes in the air that turn to water as soon as they touch the ground. That just doesn't sound appealing. If it were to freeze it would just be icy, and not nice snow. So I decided to just move my run to today when it would be nicer. If it had been cold today I might have just taken my chances tomorrow, but I knew if the weather is bad tomorrow I would regret not running today when it was nicer. It was a pretty good run. I was a little slower, but I did run my long run yesterday so my legs are kind of tired now, but I felt good during the run and I'm glad I got out there today.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    5 miles at Shelby Farms. We stayed out slightly too late and got stuck in the Christmas lights traffic! Also while we were running my husband stepped in a camel poo, you can’t make this stuff up. He said, “Why do I smell camel?” And I said, “Well, we just jumped over some camel poo,” and he said, “Uh... you mean you just jumped over it...”

Anyway there seem to be at least four camels associated with the camel ride. We had seen two of them previously, inside a tent. Today there was one in the tent and three larger camels tied to a trailer. Also we peeked inside the other tent and saw ponies and a lemur. I really want to go to the petting zoo but it doesn’t open for another hour after we finish running, since the trails close at sundown. We are going to have to plan a special trip.

I was pleased with my run today, first time since my leg injury that I’ve done five miles at under 9:40 pace, which is what I need for my goal of a sub 1 hr 10k. Getting there!

I love that he can identify camel poo by the smell! Impressive. And well done you for your judicious jumping.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    t2jawctc6tua.jpg
    I'm having an emotional moment that I'd like to share with you. This was four years ago today. The way I feel about my college graduation is very much how I feel about my upcoming marathon. They're two different events with one common purpose (plus more). I was a single mom when I started college and I did it so much for my daughters, because I wanted them to see a strong woman finish and I want them to see a strong woman cross that finish line in February. This was after finishing my last paper ever, breaking down in tears of joy, and walking out of my Alma Mater finished, 100% finished! This was the all Glory to God, thank you moment for redemption, sacrifice, and unconditional love after finishing my final semester of college. I am grateful, always grateful for a God that has loved me and lifted me throughout the best and worst of times.

Congrats! A degree is no small task, never mind doing it while being a single mom!