December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Great race @Teresa502 ! Very impressive pace! Congrats on the 2nd place in you AG! Have you decided if you are doing the Pioneer 5 miler next week or not?

Speaking of the race next Saturday, I looked at the forecast and there is over a 30% chance that it will be raining. So, do you run a rainy road race in your "normal" running shoes or do you wear your trail running shoes? Right now, I am shoe poor and only have road running shoes. I really hate to get them wet. Does that show my novice-ness? Certainly shows that I am not "hard core" yet. :wink:
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Great race @Teresa502 ! Very impressive pace! Congrats on the 2nd place in you AG! Have you decided if you are doing the Pioneer 5 miler next week or not?

Speaking of the race next Saturday, I looked at the forecast and there is over a 30% chance that it will be raining. So, do you run a rainy road race in your "normal" running shoes or do you wear your trail running shoes? Right now, I am shoe poor and only have road running shoes. I really hate to get them wet. Does that show my novice-ness? Certainly shows that I am not "hard core" yet. :wink:

I second the great race, @Teresa502!
    Run in what you've got, @quilteryoyo. Shoes will dry overnight.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Awesome job @Teresa502!! Fantastic pace and 2nd place in AG is so cool!

@quilteryoyo I don't change shoes for rain in a road race. Make sure you have good socks though! Smartwool or something else wicking.

That being said I'm debating wearing my trail shoes for tonight just because they are Gortex and I'm a little worried about the rain/snow combo and the amount of time standing around with wet feet, but I don't think I will because they aren't the most comfortable for road running.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

In general, run road races in road shoes, and trail races in trail shoes. The biggest exception is snow. If the road is snowy, then trail shoes are often a good idea.

As for shoes getting wet. This is fine. Let them get wet BUT MAKE SURE YOUR SOCKS ARE HIGH QUALITY. Wet socks will give you blisters fast. When my shoes get wet, I put them on a shoe dryer like this one and make sure they are completely dry before going back in my back. You can leave them out to air dry too but it will take a lot longer. It will not hurt them, but the longer they sit wet the more likely they are to develop an odor.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I finished in 30:37 according to my watch which measured the course at 3.22 miles. My average pace surprised me at 9:31. I haven’t run that fast in over a year so it gave me a much needed boost. I finished second in my age group.
    Well done!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    For today's marathon, I wrapped for the ankle rather than tape for the tendon. IDK how this happened, but I ended up with a PR!! I'm very excited!
    Impressive! Well done!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Glad your leg is doing okay and congratulations on running 2019K this year! That's amazing.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Way to push through the marathon with an injury AND get a PR! Fantastic!! Congratulations!

Thanks for the comments on my shoe question. I guess I need to get some good socks. So far, I have been running in cotton ones. They won't be good when wet. Also, my dryer has a thing you can put inside to set shoes on so they don't tumble and dry them. I suppose that would work if my running shoes get wet - just make sure it isn't on high heat.

Ran two times this week and played tennis one day.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Scott6255 Glad your leg is doing okay and congratulations on running 2019K this year! That's amazing.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Way to push through the marathon with an injury AND get a PR! Fantastic!! Congratulations!

Thanks for the comments on my shoe question. I guess I need to get some good socks. So far, I have been running in cotton ones. They won't be good when wet. Also, my dryer has a thing you can put inside to set shoes on so they don't tumble and dry them. I suppose that would work if my running shoes get wet - just make sure it isn't on high heat.

Ran two times this week and played tennis one day.

exercise.png

DEFINITELY upgrade those socks. Merino Wool like Darn Tough or Smart Wool are great for winter running. Something like Nike Dryfit is great for the summer. Socks are one of the most important parts of a long distance runner's gear.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Yay! Sounds like a great race and you did fantastic. Congratulations to your son as well. I understand your daughter's mind set. That was my goal on my first race ever, which was a 10K Trail race I was not properly trained for. I achieved that goal - I think 3rd from last. So, I was ecstatic. It does give you hope. I know someone has to be last. I just don't ever want it to be me. :wink: What is the animal on the back of the shirt?
    Hedgehog :)

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

@katharmonic have fun at your 5k, and I hope the weather isn't too yucky. Axe throwing sounds awesome, too!

Great job @Teresa502 and @T1DCarnivoreRunner !!!

@Scott6255 you're so close, I hope you feel better so finishing out 2019 doesn't hurt too much!

@quilteryoyo you should be fine in your regular shoes. I sometimes put shoes on the radiator to dry; I don't think it's going to wear them out faster than I do running in them. I've been thinking about those socks everyone recommends, but so far haven't had any trouble with the various sporty socks I've picked up here and there.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    SO TRUE STORY:

I am at my desk thinking about things and stuff when my outdoor cameras start going off. So I open the live view, expecting to see deer, and see a man walking around from house to house looking in windows with a flashlight. Cameras are all in infrared mode cause it is well past sunset so could not tell much about him (got a good shot of his face on my Ring though)

So I grab my jacket and my concealed carry and go outside to see what is up. I really was not expecting any trouble, but I just wanted anyone snooping around to know they were being watched. Had I expected trouble I would have had Kristi on the phone with 911.

Turns out it was a FedEx guy lost trying to read house numbers. So I go back inside and then I hear police sirens. I am like "someone called the cops on the poor guy." And sure enough, the cop car came up the street calling out something completely inaudible.

My son came upstairs at this point and was like "maybe it is a parade" and I was like "One cop car a parade does not make."

I started to head out to see if I could tell the cop all things were fine when a fire truck came with its lights all on.

Turns out it WAS a parade. Santa was on the firetruck! I guess whatever the cop called out had to do with Santa. We will never know!

Poor FedEx guy, as if he doesn't have enough to worry about this time of year already... 😆
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    3.2 miles this afternoon, which made an even 45 for the month so far! We're celebrating a birthday tonight and I may need to run a whole lot of extra after this...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @mbaker566 Did I miss your run report?
    Haha, @mbaker566 you did ask for this ;)
    Lol
    @Tramboman
    You did not i failed. There will be a report this weekend
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Great job on your races @Teresa502 and @T1DCarnivoreRunner!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @mbaker566 Did I miss your run report?
    Haha, @mbaker566 you did ask for this ;)
    Lol
    @Tramboman
    You did not i failed. There will be a report this weekend

You DID NOT FAIL!!!!
    You've just delayed your success!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I also had been on the paved trail for a long time and suddenly found myself in the middle of town. It was so sudden and shocking and surreal that I became mentally disoriented - thinking, “what in the literal... where AM I?!” Turns out i ran to downtown in the city i live in Lol. I didn’t want to be around all those people because I was drenched in sweat and felt weird because I couldn’t adjust to where just was and where I found myself.

:smiley: I have done this more than once. Once or thrice I have had to pull up a map on my phone as I did not even know what town I was in. :smiley:

Great job!