December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Faebert So glad the surgery went well. Hope your recovery is smooth.
    This! Please listen to your medical team and take all the time you need to recover.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    @durhammfp Great first race!!! That's a great pace! I had to laugh at you and the 12 year old. When I first started running 10 years ago, my first race there was a lady who was in her 80's. My goal was just to pass her at the end, since we were so close the entire race. I think I beat her by about 5 seconds. I just didn't want to let someone 30 years my senior beat me. But, now, I want to be that 80 year old that doesn't let the 50 year old pass her. :wink:

@Faebert Glad your surgery went well and that you are sticking around for motivation and support - and to support us.

@dreamer12151 Way to hang in there. I hope you didn't hurt your ankle too badly.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @durhammfp well done! Great race report, and. PB! Now I feel I should have to meet you!
    I almost signed up for that one. Race13.1 has a similar one in Raleigh in November and spring time. I’ve run the American Tobacco Trail and love it.

@Faebert glad it went well! Good luck with the recovery
  • RunningIntoShape
    RunningIntoShape Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So good so far... Hope you’re all finding the time to stick to your December goal. Lots of distractions this time of year... 😉

3a7wf6bqy992.jpeg
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Race report for the 5K I ran this morning. The weather this week has been cool and felt colder than the thermometer read. The forecast was for a great day today, and, for once, they were correct. When I got up this morning it was 38°F and clear. The race started at 10, so I knew it would warm up some. I wasn't sure what to wear, but I know I prefer to be hot and sweat to being cold. So, I overdressed with leggings, a long sleeved shirt, and a jacket.

Race start temperature was 48°F. I probably should have shed the jacket, but during my warm up walk it still felt cold in the shade to me. Since this race was sponsored by a church, we had a pre-race prayer and then the National Anthem was sung. I love this about being in the Bible Belt in a small town. Even if there are non-religious (non-Christians) in the group, no one complains. :smile:

I heard some pre-race talk about the course being really hilly and one of the volunteers I know said she didn't run it because the course looked "scary" to her. LOL We set off and I started out a little bit too fast, but tried to reign myself in. The first part of the course was a deceptive hill - one of those that doesn't look too steep, but wears you out before you get to the top. Mile one ended on another long, not quite as steep hill. The course then went down a long, very steep hill, and into a local park, onto a concrete path where the turn around was located. This was all good until coming back out of the park. There was a very steep, short hill I managed to push through and run up. After that the course went up that VERY steep hill we came down. I had done well with my plan to run 4 minutes and then walk one minute until then. I had to quit and walk after only a 3 minute run. I just couldn't do it.
    oc4yxyrdp4y0.jpg

Mile 2 ended about the point where I had to stop and walk. Once I managed to get over that, the rest wasn't horrible. I did have to start my walk a little early one more time and I walked about 15 seconds up the last hill. Then, it was on to the finish line. I still had enough left in me for a pretty good kick at the end. Garmin said my pace for that last sprint was 7:32/mile. Not bad, even if for only about 30 seconds.

My splits were 10:44, 11:18, and 11:39. Elevation gain was 201 feet. I don't have enough experience with races to know if that is a lot or if some of you are laughing at how "level" that is in relation to most. To me, it was a lot!

Results were: I got First Place in my age group!!! I was 70th out of 197 overall. I'm not sure where I am in relation to all other females or how many were in my age group. The results aren't up on the website yet.
    8nmlnkdq1v8j.jpg

Bling was a nice shirt. Instead of medals, they had a tile with the logo for the Isaiah House on it, only for the people who placed in their age groups.
    i180ko06n70x.jpg
    q1adrub6mrif.jpg

Also, a lady from the church made home made/hand decorated ginger bread house cookies for everyone. They were delicious.
    kori8amedcng.jpg

Garmin gave me two PR's for the race - Fastest 5K at 34:42 (Garmin had me going just a little bit further than a 5K) and fastest mile at 10:40. I'm pleased with the results.

Fantastic! Way to go and well done managing the race your way. Great report and pics! And a first place, woohoo!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner That sounds like you had a rough race. Hope your injury isn't too severe. Way to hang in there and finish.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Race report for the 5K I ran this morning. The weather this week has been cool and felt colder than the thermometer read. The forecast was for a great day today, and, for once, they were correct. When I got up this morning it was 38°F and clear. The race started at 10, so I knew it would warm up some. I wasn't sure what to wear, but I know I prefer to be hot and sweat to being cold. So, I overdressed with leggings, a long sleeved shirt, and a jacket.

Race start temperature was 48°F. I probably should have shed the jacket, but during my warm up walk it still felt cold in the shade to me. Since this race was sponsored by a church, we had a pre-race prayer and then the National Anthem was sung. I love this about being in the Bible Belt in a small town. Even if there are non-religious (non-Christians) in the group, no one complains. :smile:

I heard some pre-race talk about the course being really hilly and one of the volunteers I know said she didn't run it because the course looked "scary" to her. LOL We set off and I started out a little bit too fast, but tried to reign myself in. The first part of the course was a deceptive hill - one of those that doesn't look too steep, but wears you out before you get to the top. Mile one ended on another long, not quite as steep hill. The course then went down a long, very steep hill, and into a local park, onto a concrete path where the turn around was located. This was all good until coming back out of the park. There was a very steep, short hill I managed to push through and run up. After that the course went up that VERY steep hill we came down. I had done well with my plan to run 4 minutes and then walk one minute until then. I had to quit and walk after only a 3 minute run. I just couldn't do it.
    oc4yxyrdp4y0.jpg

Mile 2 ended about the point where I had to stop and walk. Once I managed to get over that, the rest wasn't horrible. I did have to start my walk a little early one more time and I walked about 15 seconds up the last hill. Then, it was on to the finish line. I still had enough left in me for a pretty good kick at the end. Garmin said my pace for that last sprint was 7:32/mile. Not bad, even if for only about 30 seconds.

My splits were 10:44, 11:18, and 11:39. Elevation gain was 201 feet. I don't have enough experience with races to know if that is a lot or if some of you are laughing at how "level" that is in relation to most. To me, it was a lot!

Results were: I got First Place in my age group!!! I was 70th out of 197 overall. I'm not sure where I am in relation to all other females or how many were in my age group. The results aren't up on the website yet.
    8nmlnkdq1v8j.jpg

Bling was a nice shirt. Instead of medals, they had a tile with the logo for the Isaiah House on it, only for the people who placed in their age groups.
    i180ko06n70x.jpg
    q1adrub6mrif.jpg

Also, a lady from the church made home made/hand decorated ginger bread house cookies for everyone. They were delicious.
    kori8amedcng.jpg

Garmin gave me two PR's for the race - Fastest 5K at 34:42 (Garmin had me going just a little bit further than a 5K) and fastest mile at 10:40. I'm pleased with the results.

Fantastic! Way to go and well done managing the race your way. Great report and pics! And a first place, woohoo!

First is first - doesn't matter how many finished behind you.
    Well done!!!!
    Now you have a feel for the strategy you need to implement for your next 5k race.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Here are some pics from today
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    HOW DO I DELETE MULTIPLE IDENTICAL POSTS?

AND WHY IS IT SAYING “you are not allowed to upload images in this category?”
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    Well done @mbaker566 and @quilteryoyo

Magnificent first race @durhammfp - great pace and great commitment!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,027 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your race and AG win @quilteryoyo!

Congratulations on your race too @mbaker566 and Speed Demon!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Are you using Android? You might need to do this with a browser... even when I load pics from android, I can't use the app. I just use Chrome.