December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options

Anyway I’m a little tired and my nose is stuffy, not too bad, better than yesterday, but it seems like when I have a mild illness my body is unusually stubborn about getting started running. Today felt impossibly hard up until mile 6 when suddenly it felt like I could run fast forever. I guess my body is trying to tell me to go back to bed, then finally gives up and decides if I’m still going I must be running from a cougar or something, so it will let me do that first. When I finally do get going I feel much better afterwards.

It was a pretty day to run, just about 60 and cloudy. We ran beside a large buck for a while, and heard a great horned owl.
    HAHAHA That really made me laugh! I hope you get to feeling better! I'd be leery of the buck. He might decide you are a rival for his doe,s attention.

@shanaber That looks delicious.

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Thanks all for the birthday wishes! No run today as I had to take our elderly friend for her tests and doctor appts. I have strength training in a bit and then out to dinner with DH! I will get my birthday run in tomorrow but I guarantee that it will not be 64 miles. It will be a meager 6.4 😊
    @loveychar - I was 57 when I started running. I hated it before back to when I was a kid and never expected to keep running and still be running 7 years later! I hope to run as long as I can, even if it means doing a slow shuffle! At least I will be moving!

@dreamer12151 I will be cheering for the Pack too on the 15th and hoping you get your birthday present!!
    Go Pack Go!

@durhammfp - in addition to what everyone else has said already I would take a couple of runs just to go out and run. No app, no plan, no pressure. Just run and enjoy the feeling of running for however long you feel like doing it. I listen to music, sing along with the songs, watch the hawks and other critters and just enjoy being outside. Other times I am focused on whatever the plan has on the schedule for me. You might even find that you end up running longer, further and/or faster without even thinking about it. You can also plan a day of having fun with a little speed work or some intervals just to mix it up. Note also there is an entire type of running built around doing run/walk intervals. You can check it out here. I tried it for a while and didn't care too much for the constant starting and stopping but some people love it. I do however plan walk breaks in my HMs - typically at every water station or every couple of miles or something like that. I am sure they are all different but I think most of the Fleet Feet stores have group runs for all levels and lots of fun runs that you could participate in just to do something different once in a while.

You are a huge inspiration to me!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 - I have those same shoes! don't run in them though, I got them just for walking. They have too much cushion for me to run in but I love the wide toe box! I wondered if Speed Demon ran in her cute pink jammies. Clearly she is a very stylish runner :smiley:
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your race tomorrow @quilteryoyo. Run like you trained, and you'll do great!! 💪😀