What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman : 24 on 2K TT - good show! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Ann, but I had the DF set to 113 and I'm in pathetic aerobic shape, so that's all I could muster! When I set my PB, which will be two years ago this January, I was at a 103 DF but at 28 SPM. So some of that could be attributed to higher DF, but most of it is I'm just not at the same level aerobically. If I could get that 113ish to 115 DF row down closer to 7:20, that would be great. I race better, though, at a lower DF. I have a feeling it's going to take me most of this year to do that. My strength isn't there either.

I did start something new yesterday. On hard rowing days, I'm going to do at least 50 or so consequetive KB swings. I did only 20 lbs yesterday and was really sore. I have a 53 lb (25 kg) KB. I'd like to work up to 100 to 150 heavy KB swings every harder row day on top of the row. I really think that will help me build back the strength.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    @MikePfirrman : 24 on 2K TT - good show! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Ann, but I had the DF set to 113 and I'm in pathetic aerobic shape, so that's all I could muster! When I set my PB, which will be two years ago this January, I was at a 103 DF but at 28 SPM. So some of that could be attributed to higher DF, but most of it is I'm just not at the same level aerobically. If I could get that 113ish to 115 DF row down closer to 7:20, that would be great. I race better, though, at a lower DF. I have a feeling it's going to take me most of this year to do that. My strength isn't there either.

I did start something new yesterday. On hard rowing days, I'm going to do at least 50 or so consequetive KB swings. I did only 20 lbs yesterday and was really sore. I have a 53 lb (25 kg) KB. I'd like to work up to 100 to 150 heavy KB swings every harder row day on top of the row. I really think that will help me build back the strength.

Lots of people just head into the 30s and just thrash. I know you're working your way back after some challenges, and that's great. 24, even 28, is IMO a sign you're going for pace in a smart way.

30-something can be fine for people who have the technique and endurance to carry the full power there . . . but way, way more people race at 30+ than are advantaged (in the moment or developmentally) by doing so, IMO.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Ann, I appreciate it. Sometimes it feels like (and I know you can relate!) progress is frustratingly slow, especially with age!

Today's "easy" work wasn't so easy. HR way too high relative to pace/work, but to be expected the day after a TT. Didn't feel as hard as the HR would indicate. Really, really super easy on the Air Bike for the last 15 minutes after the 30 minute row (120 Watts, really slow).

i8dpcpv694a0.png
    b1qf1fik06f5.png
    cm52a221oxk5.png
  • AnnPT77
    Another easy/moderate 9,732m on the C2 rowing machine, the 4x2k real-work pieces at average of 2:29.8, 20spm. Looked like this:
    orlkq95w2nph.png
    Each 2K was about 2 seconds faster pace than the previous, and I usually pause the Garmin when I stop rowing in the 2' off segments (which are row-out for about 15", drink/mop sweat, row-in for about 20-30"), but I forgot on the 3rd 2' off-interval. Last 2' was CD, immediately followed by 1K more CD at very easy 2:53.4/19spm.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    Morning wake-up stretches, warm-up
    Later to the gym, warm-up/mild cardio/burpees
    60 min training session
    30 additional strength training and cool-down
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    10-11 am:
    Yoga (30m)

10-11 am:
    Yoga (30m)

10-11 am:
    Strength
    Handstand Pushup - E2MOM (30m)
    1 rep every 2m (15)

2-3 pm:
    Yoga (30m)
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    Holy Crow! Today is my bike riding day and it is windy! I almost chose to ride with the wind but I decided to turn left and ride against the wind! Wow! I got to my first pitstop (Starbucks for my free brewed coffee) and my legs were burning!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I essentially took 5 days off of exercise which was probably a good thing. It was finals week, I was a different type of anxious than I normally am (my anxiety and depression don't respond to exercise), I was and still am having trouble getting enough sleep, and I was really f'ing tired of waking up early. It appears my default wakeup time is 6:30 - weekday morning team erg workouts require me to wake up at 5. Weekday on the water rowing, which doesn't start until Feb I want to say, requires me to wake up at 4:25ish. My alarm for the weekends is 6:20 which gives me enough time to lay in bed for a few minutes.

All that said, today was 14,690m in a quad sitting stroke - this time with a stroke coach (a device kind of like a bike computer that, among other things, lets me see my stroke rate)! While I don't have my own single (I wish) I can see why a few people in my club who don't own their own boat do own their own stroke coach. It was a fairly good row save for the I don't even remember how many times we got waked between the multiple coach's launch wakes (between our club and another club), fishing boats, and the coast guard (that was a massive wake).

I'm very pleased with the fact that I have a very long stroke (see Ann's point earlier this week about the importance of long strokes) that I can sustain given that I'm only 5' 8", however I'm not very pleased when people who are taller than me can't match my length. It's something that I won't compromise on when I'm sitting stroke seat unless there are people who are considerably shorter than I am (and our main sculling coach is of the same mind). I think it's a mix of my having long legs, and the ability to hold my layback (yay core strength!). What's funny is that I could, and probably should, actually have more length. I need to ask my sculling coach(es) to let me know if I'm getting my hands out far enough at the catch. I suspect I'm not because it's a bit anxiety provoking. I'm better than I was even three months ago, but I suspect I could get my hands further outside of the gunnels.
  • DiamndMnd
    DiamndMnd Posts: 59 Member
    I do 2 xhit workouts. They're on Youtube and it's about 20 minutes. Abs and thighs!
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2019
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip good self-care strategy and rowing narrative, for length>

I'm very pleased with the fact that I have a very long stroke (see Ann's point earlier this week about the importance of long strokes) that I can sustain given that I'm only 5' 8", however I'm not very pleased when people who are taller than me can't match my length. It's something that I won't compromise on when I'm sitting stroke seat unless there are people who are considerably shorter than I am (and our main sculling coach is of the same mind). I think it's a mix of my having long legs, and the ability to hold my layback (yay core strength!). What's funny is that I could, and probably should, actually have more length. I need to ask my sculling coach(es) to let me know if I'm getting my hands out far enough at the catch. I suspect I'm not because it's a bit anxiety provoking. I'm better than I was even three months ago, but I suspect I could get my hands further outside of the gunnels.

At 5'5", I sometimes have the same problem with taller people (most people are taller!) who row shorter, not for any self-congratulatable reason, but because I'm fairly flexible in the relevant areas for my age, and row often with other people my age. ;)

If I may opine and interfere:

There is no - no! - reason for you to shorten your stroke to accommodate them, IMO, even if they're shorter. Mostly, they need to slow their slide to match you. Occasionally, I've gotten to row with high-level collegiate rowers, including on at least one memorable occasion, sitting directly behind a 6'+ woman (who is now a National team rower, and listed as one of the best women rowers in the world). I didn't want her to shorten: It's my job to match. (I know it's very hard to hold length in stroke when those behind you start slamming forward, though. ;) )

On the "hands out at the catch" thing: I know you know this, but remind yourself that the full arm-reach happens at arms away (close to the most stable point, so it's not scary then, right? ;) ), and after that it's mostly about full use of the slide. There's a little bit of wingspan stuff you can do heading into the catch, but mostly it's just taking full advantage of the slide, and the hands go out past the gunwales because they have to, if your body and the pin are situated relative to one another where they should be. Excess wingspan reachy stuff at the catch is potentially lurch/check.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2019
    aokoye wrote: »
    <snip good self-care strategy and rowing narrative, for length>

At 5'5", I sometimes have the same problem with taller people (most people are taller!) who row shorter, not for any self-congratulatable reason, but because I'm fairly flexible in the relevant areas for my age, and row often with other people my age. ;)

If I may opine and interfere:

There is no - no! - reason for you to shorten your stroke to accommodate them, IMO, even if they're shorter. Mostly, they need to slow their slide to match you. Occasionally, I've gotten to row with high-level collegiate rowers, including on at least one memorable occasion, sitting directly behind a 6'+ woman (who is now a National team rower, and listed as one of the best women rowers in the world). I didn't want her to shorten: It's my job to match. (I know it's very hard to hold length in stroke when those behind you start slamming forward, though. ;) )

On the "hands out at the catch" thing: I know you know this, but remind yourself that the full arm-reach happens at arms away (close to the most stable point, so it's not scary then, right? ;) ), and after that it's mostly about full use of the slide. There's a little bit of wingspan stuff you can do heading into the catch, but mostly it's just taking full advantage of the slide, and the hands go out past the gunwales because they have to, if your body and the pin are situated relative to one another where they should be. Excess wingspan reachy stuff at the catch is potentially lurch/check.

Good point. My flexibility is probably also serving me well. That's also a good way to look at the reach - I'll think about that tomorrow. I think my "ugh I suppose I'll maybe shorten my stroke" is left over from constantly rowing with novices who were shorter than me and couldn't match me when we had mixed novice practices. It's funny because two of our best rowers are 5' 2" at most and one of them is I think 73? The 73 year old has won multiple gold medals at HOTC (including this year) and when she's not sculling her single (which isn't at our club but at a dock on super nice absurdly calm water), is always bow. She and the other person I'm thinking of are essentially our best bows on the women's team in part because they are so good at matching.

It's funny because last Saturday I sat 2 seat in an 8, the person who was having a ton of trouble matching me today was 4, and one of my sculling coaches who is also on the national team was sitting 6 seat. Needless to say, I ended up watching 6 seat's oar. I'm finally down to three coaches ;) I am going to try to get out in a single next month maybe if not sooner if I end up getting put in one at a suclling practice. I'm going to ask for a private lesson from said nat team member so I can work on squaring up earlier and not digging with my starboard oar (which will be helped by squaring earlier...)
  • AnnPT77
    Yet another 9,789 C2 rowing machine meters, 4 x 2k on, 2' off/CD + additional 1k CD.

Also, I wrestled a Giant Lizard. Well, actually, I compressed and somehow coaxed a large heavy-duty (and heavy/awward) compressable folding metal and nylon tent-type thing into its narrow, end-zip rolly case, by myself. It just felt like wrestling a Giant Lizard. And I did some pruning and branch-carrying, among other Fall yard clean-up.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Good:
    20 min FTP test averaged 265 watts. Woot woot! +15 vs 4 weeks ago.

Bad:
    Weight plateau all week.

So, celebrated by breaking my no alcohol diet Saturday night and shared a very nice bottle of wine with spouse. Technically still hit calorie goal today although think I need to start getting extra backside retentive on making sure I'm accurate on tracking until I conquer this plateau. Plateau is such a drag.
  • MikePfirrman
    10K meters today on the rower, then 30 minutes on the Air Dyne Pro. HR on the row a bit higher than I like but I did it outside in the middle of the yard, early AM, when it was pretty cool, so it didn't feel bad at all. HR was hitting 160 at times with drift. Burned around 1400 calories in the 90 minutes.
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    :* We'll call it a recovery day for me, too.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I went bouldering on Saturday. It was a 2 hour training thing. It was good. My dynamic moves are improving. The new exercise I tried was nominating a limb to not use, and doing an easy climb. You alternate the four limbs.

I also went bouldering in Sunday for 2 hours. This was also good fun - I got quite a few new routes. I have a long term harder project at this gym, where I seem to have reached bthe crux.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Yesterday: 50 min swim

Today: 45 min spin class & 30 min weight lifting focused on upper body
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Good: Broke my week long plateau (by a lot...expect to bounce back up a bit but finally...)

Bad: New higher power zones for cycling. Had a hard 45 min spin with 3 intervals 8 min, 10 min. 8 min (zones 4 and 5).....and totally bailed on last interval and just pedaled it out in z2. Fail. :smile: My hard days just got really hard again.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2019
    Just 10K on the rower today @ a bit of a faster pace (just a hair faster) than yesterday's row. I think it was around 2:22 pace/20 SPM. Out in the sun watching the birdies at my bird feeders. We get quite a mix of birds here. I've even seen a Yellow Parakeet before here eating from my feeder. There is an occasional Mexican Parrot sighting but I think that one was a bird that flew the coop, literally.
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    63 minutes on the elliptical machine, 13 minutes on the bike and a weight workout.