December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Ran a fairly easy 1.58 miles to the gym this morning. It was around 20F out, which felt amazing after the single digits this weekend and negatives last week. My workout at the gym felt really good too - it felt like I was pushing myself and could see progress from the last couple of weeks. My primary complaint about the gym I belong to is that the workouts change up more often than I’d like. There are three different full-body workouts a week, usually three or four alternating sets built around one of the big lifts (deadlift, squat, press), and they change up every six weeks or so. Some six-week blocks focus more on heavy lifting, some on higher reps, some on accessory movements.

I’ve talked to the owner about the programming and he agrees that it’s not necessary to have so much variety from a pure strength-training perspective, but that most people need it to keep from getting bored. Before I joined the gym I was doing an A-B-A workout with three lifts each and found that perfectly enjoyable, but I’ll admit I’m a bit of a weirdo. I didn’t join the gym because I was bored, but because I wanted personal training for the heavier lifts and because I needed some social interaction to counter the isolation of working from home. It’s absolutely been worth it, but sometimes I just miss being able to look at my spreadsheet and track how my six basic lifts are doing.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Today I ran my coldest run ever. I ran 6 miles and the temperature was 29°F feels like 21°F. I know a lot of y'all run in colder temperatures than that, but this was actually the first time for me to run when it is that cold. I generally hate cold weather, but it wasn't too bad. My weather app said the winds were 8 mph from the NNW, but it didn't seem windy. I wore two pairs of gloves and my hands were cold. My fingers were a little painful, but other than that I was dressed pretty comfortably. I was a little chilly starting out, but not too bad and I did warm up as I went. I don't really know what to do about my hands being cold. I have to wear gloves anytime it is under 50°F so I guess I just have to get used to it. It was really a great run. It was clear and so even though it was cold, it was a crisp cold not a wet cold and there were plenty of Christmas lights still left on overnight so it felt kind of merry.

For hands, get them disposable hand warmers and insert them in your gloves so that they are against your palm. In some weather, you might find that too much heat, but if that happens you can take out the handwarmer and bury it in your pocket until you need it again.

Great job getting it done! :smiley:

I'll have to try that! Thanks!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Finally - Today is Tuesday - I had my brutal long run and lifting on Saturday, so I've had two full days of rest. I feel basically normal except a tiny bit of soreness in my quads. The point is, last week I didn't feel normal until Thursday/ Friday! I'm getting stronger! I paid really close attention to what I ate after I ran Saturday and what I drank and I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm pretty content with this quicker recovery thing! This is great!

Scott Jurek swears that eating a vegan diet is responsible for his quick recoveries after long runs.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Running Books, great question @polskagirl01! I have a few...

One of my favorites is 'Shut Up and Run' by Robyn Arzon. It is incredibly motivating, has sections that are like a journal, running plans and all kinds of tips and I really like her attitude and the way she writes. When I am feeling unmotivated or like I am not improving enough it is my go to re-read.

I have also read Several of Matt Fitzgerald's books '80/20 Running', 'Racing Weight', etc. and there is definitely good info in them as well but I found them a bit boring.

Recently I read Jeff Galloway's 'Running until You're 100' which was also good, has tons of tips but I didn't like his frequent references to his other books rather than just giving the information on whatever it was.

Right now I am reading 'The Cool Impossible' by Eric Orton and trying to incorporate some of the exercises he recommends. It is written rather strangely - he tries to make it like you are there with him running and being coached, but again good information.

I'm going to the library and see if I can't find at least one of these books, primarily looking for the first. I like that it's written by a woman.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »

Finally - Today is Tuesday - I had my brutal long run and lifting on Saturday, so I've had two full days of rest. I feel basically normal except a tiny bit of soreness in my quads. The point is, last week I didn't feel normal until Thursday/ Friday! I'm getting stronger! I paid really close attention to what I ate after I ran Saturday and what I drank and I am sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm pretty content with this quicker recovery thing! This is great!

Scott Jurek swears that eating a vegan diet is responsible for his quick recoveries after long runs.

Others swear the same about <insert diet here> :) I bet we could easily start a big thread where everyone touts their favorite diet and the evidence for it. I will toss some popcorn in the microwave and get my comfy blanket and watch. :smiley:

This time of year, I'm partial to the Christmas cookie diet.

Hahahaha, I overindulged in the Lindor truffle diet today, my favorite!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

Others swear the same about <insert diet here> :) I bet we could easily start a big thread where everyone touts their favorite diet and the evidence for it. I will toss some popcorn in the microwave and get my comfy blanket and watch. :smiley:

This time of year, I'm partial to the Christmas cookie diet.

I can roll with this!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Yes. I swear that about my diet too!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I hope you are feeling much better in the morning!

Welcome to the new members! I have found that all are welcome here.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Any one have a monthly question to entice the newbies to join in answering?

The food thread has been chatting about our maternal influences and how it has effected or influenced the way we see ourselves. That may be a little deep, but it is the end of the year. Time to reflect, take inventory and focus our direction...

Family influences then?

My influences
    I think my most cherished family relationship was with my paternal grandmother. She took my brother and I in when our parents were going through a divorce while she was taking care of an ill spouse (CJD). I’d really like to just be able to hug her and say thanks.