WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Up early. Wi-fi on the blink during the night. I did did the magical "unplug the modem for a few minutes" tech thing and now we are back up and running. Playing catch-up.

Karen in VA - I hope Olivia is doing better. That photo of her was a heartbreaker, you could just see she wasn't feeling well. Any plans to go visit this year? I reckon your partner needs to be back on her feet first - hope SHE is doing well!! I got such a hankering for biscotti after seeing your batch I grabbed some "Nonni's" brand at the store. Not as good as home-made but still good for dunking. B)

Evie - good to hear from you! <3 Hope we get a quick catch-up from Tracey one of these days and all is well in her busy, busy world .

Machka - will you need any more surgery on your leg where they took the biopsy or did that procedure take care of everything? I always enjoy reading about YOUR busy life. Happy for you that you are getting better sleep with the new pillow!! :D

Barbara AHMOD
    - so very sorry the crud is keeping you down. Sending plenty of healing hugs down your way!

Rebecca - seeing Athena just brightens my day. Hoping Owain's CO will remind him and everyone else in his unit to "send your folks/loved ones a quick Merry Christmas message"!! At the very least!

I've noticed this year that most of the neighbors on our street took down their outside decorations the day after Christmas- one still has the icicle lights up along the eaves and that's a ladder job. Past years, they stayed up until after New Year's.

Margaret
    - what a shock about your friend. Very sad. Hope she can regain enough to eventually do some type of work again.

Rori - hope your DH slept through the night. James Clear has several good articles on his website that I've been reviewing this past week, many of which he probably incorporated into "Atomic Habits". Are you on his weekly email distribution list? Very nice photo of you, DH, and your brother. <3

SuziQ - Scottish eggs! Love them! I made them this past summer with chicken sausage and they were divine. I'm loaded with eggs right now so need to put sausage on the grocery list. ***by the way, I've been misting the little palm plant daily. It's holding its own - thanks for the tip!**

Time to feed dog #1 and let her out for her run. Back later.

Make it a super Sunday, ladies. Last one in 2019! <3B)

Lanette
    Warm SW WA State

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Getting ready for last two days on vacation. Eating hasn't been as horrible as it has in the past. While food has been good I am looking forward to getting back to my regular schedule of eating and exercise. Haven't been on a scale, but can tell there are a couple extra pounds, but clothes fit so that's good.

Grandson woke from nap yesterday with fever. He, my son and his wife all got the flu/respiratory thing about a month ago and it isn't going away. Saw lots of that in Ohio also. Hopefully he is better today. They gave him some tylenol and once that kicked in he ran around like normal, He is sleeping in late for him so we shall see.

Surprised this am that it is 34 in Phoenix and and 51 back in Ohio. Figures that when I come here in winter for first time, they have one of their coolest in forever! Hope to get out for a walk in a bit.

Ginny in Ohio
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - she can FaceTime now we started JR young lol 😂. Was More face shock hearing grandma y eyes pressed up with wet kisses lol.

Yes proud he gots ABC down y 1-10 also. Going to keep working on it all.

Amber Tx

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR- maybe let your daughter know you really want to be there and would greatly appreciate it if the snake and you didn’t meet in Any way,shape,or form.She is obviously aware of your feelings and should respect how you feel.
    Debby in Va
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: I have no idea why your son isn’t calling as he should. It hurts my heart for you and your husband. Too bad we can’t give him a good boot up the backside. Pip could go first to show us how and we could all take our turns. :devil:

Allie: I am delighted that you’re having such a good time in NYC. :bigsmile:

Michele: When I speak to my son I usually text first to set up a call. He sets up facetime. During the call I talk to DS and DDIL. When I call my daughter I usually talk to her first, and then sometimes the grandchildren. I’m not much of a fan of her DH and we don’t have much to say to one another. :embarassed: I love your Christmas lights!!! :heart:

Margaret: I’ve never used an Apple Watch and didn’t know it had such a valuable safety feature. I know that my cell phone has the feature. :star:

(((Evelyn))): Uneventful can be very good, especially if you have enough fun to keep you smiling. When I set my goals, I added one that says have fun every day. I’m relatively easy to please in the fun category. Yoga classes are fun, walking the dog on a dry day is fun, horseback riding lessons are fun, setting up Christmas decorations is fun, and taking them down is less fun. In the long days of low light winter, turning on as many bright lights as I can in my home helps chase the blues away for me. We have replaced incandescent bulbs with solar temperature LED’s wherever possible. They brighten the house and reduce the electricity bill all at the same time. They also help to vanquish the winter time blues. :bigsmile:

Machka and Rita: I love the Brightside message, “Don’t wait for things to get better. Life will always be complicated. Learn to be happy right now, otherwise you’ll run out of time.” :heart:

Carol in GA: Enjoy the time you’ll be getting with your grandchildren today! I’ll admit to a little envy because all of mine are far away. :heart: I think your comments to Michele are good advice. :star:

Barbara: Sending good thoughts your way. I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

KJ: The story of the Apple Watch calling 911 is impressive and thought provoking.. :star:

(((Lisa))): I “hate” snakes, too. My intellect knows that garter snakes eat bugs and are not dangerous--except they can cause a heart attack when unexpectedly seen moving. :ohwell: I agree with Debby in VA—your daughter should respect your feelings and leave the snake at home with a critter-sitter if needed. :flowerforyou:

It turned out that Walmart doesn’t sell dog meds any more. The vet is the only supplier for this medicine so we’ll be getting it from the vet. This time they gave us enough meds to last at least 4 weeks. Yay! An improvement!!

I have a riding lesson at noon today! I am looking forward to it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Found this about difference between active and total calories on Apple Watch and other activity trackers:

“If you're unsure of the difference, we've got answers. Simply put, active calories are those you burn while walking, climbing, jogging — whatever you do for exercise. Total calories include active calories and resting calories, which are those your body burns naturally, even when you're just lounging on the couch.”

RV Rita
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Found this about difference between active and total calories on Apple Watch and other activity trackers:

“If you're unsure of the difference, we've got answers. Simply put, active calories are those you burn while walking, climbing, jogging — whatever you do for exercise. Total calories include active calories and resting calories, which are those your body burns naturally, even when you're just lounging on the couch.”

RV Rita

The Samsung Health function on my phone does the same thing. It's amazing how accurate it records activity when I am carrying it.

Hope all is well Rita!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Michele: I understand that you’re disappointed at not seeing Dense et al over Christmas. We can’t control what others do, but we can decide how we react to their actions. I’m sad that you are upsetting yourself over what others chosen to do.

It’s really lovely that you went to the trouble of making the dds picture for Maria. Why don’t you wrap it up and then you can give it to her the next time you see her or visit Denise.

Love you lights video. Well done on posting it!

☘️ Terri
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    For those of you that use kettle balls what is your routine? I just discovered them at our Planet Fitness. Did a few sets of swinging with a 10 pounder and love how it felt. Got my heart rate up there and felt the workout all over. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheri
    in windy College Station TX
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Unfortunately, I have no advice. I too am terrified of snakes. I think I would choose to stay at a hotel and limit my time at the snake house to the very minimum. Maybe visit while she is still in the hospital so you don’t have to go to the house? It’s bad enough to know the snake is there, but to literally be waiting for the snake to drop in your lap.........ugh!

Okie in the TX Hill Country