WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Sharon: WOW! You look fabulous. :flowerforyou: :star:

Machka: We have restaurant issues, too, due to DH’s digestive restrictions. I always had milk/butter issues, but he also has wheat, garlic, and onion issues brought on by his changing digestive system. He is now on a FODMAP diet—invented in Australia. It is helping. We can go to Chinese and Thai restaurants if we tell them no garlic & onions. :bigsmile:

Heather: You’re probably not going out to eat with my DH & me, either. No real butter, no cream, no wheat, garlic or globe onions. We go out much less frequently than in the past. :ohwell:

(((Karen in VA))): You have a lot of people in your life, and more than one of them needs your attention right now. Hopefully your daughter-in-law has back-up help. :heart:

Machka: Families are both our strongest support system, and also our biggest adversaries at times. :ohwell:

(((Allie))): I hope all goes exceedingly well for your brother. :flowerforyou:

Kim: We had our niece and her son over for food and viewing the Christmas Ships Parade in our town. (Pleasure boats, not actual ships. They have elaborate light displays and give us a show here in town, then go down river to a couple of other small towns. They spend the night after the parade here and then go up the Multnomah Channel, and eventually back to Portland.) It was nice to have a bit of family with us to enjoy the evening. For the rest of this season we’re on our own. We are in touch with our kids via phone and internet. DS and DDIL are in the process of moving. DD and family are snug in their home. I am so glad I went to visit them earlier in the year. It really helps staying connected and gives me a clear mental picture of their home. :heart:

SuziQ: I’d be happy to share your prime rib. They are missing a delicious meal thanks to the organizer. :ohwell:

Lisa: Layer up! That way you have options that will help you stay comfortable and won’t freeze in the car or boil at your meetings. :wink:

Lanette: We’re having a dry day today, but it looks like rain Wednesday through Saturday. We’ve had a bit of light frost on our lawn but no seriously cold weather so far this season. Global Warming? :ohwell: Several years ago a Japanese earthquake sent a tidal wave of water across our area. Coastal towns got soaked in low laying places. We had high water, but not high enough to get under or into our house. Bonneville Power Administration held back water and that kept our house dry. Many years ago there was a flood while this complex was under development and we used to be able to see flood marks in our fireplace. Twenty two years later it is pretty much sooted over but still visible despite the soot. :star:

Still on the subject of water and climate-- water levels are still relatively low along the lower Columbia River where we live. We haven’t had much of the famed Oregon Rain. The good news is that our mountains are developing a snow pack. YAY! Skiers will be happy now, and so will gardeners next spring.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Heather - No they don’t make bread sauce here. My Mom came from a British family so she did we had British neighbors who came here in old age so they did. I was suprised in school when I found out they didn’t.Mom started making it the American way after that. Warm or cold milk with bread crumbs is the UK way. American way is warmed milk with flour y pepper is called country white gravy! Some put some broth or meat in it but that’s rare. With Turkey they use a brown gravy sometimes add meat to that too they call it Turkey gravy ! Brown gravy has tons of ingredients!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/classic-turkey-gravy-recipe-1973898

Amber Tx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Wright Brothers Day!

"From a young age, Orville Wright and his brother, Wilbur, developed a fascination with flight. Inspired by a rubber band propelled helicopter created by the inventor, Alphonse Penaud, the brothers would dedicate their lives to the invention. They first found success manufacturing bicycles including the Van Cleve and St. Clair. They never lost interest in flight and continued to develop designs. By 1902, the future aviators were making progress with their gliders and nearing a successful mechanical flight. They sold their bicycle business and on December 17, 1903, ... Orville Wright made the first flight for 12 seconds and 120 feet around the site of the Wright Brothers National Memorial, just south of Kitty Hawk. While the Wright Brothers were not the first to build and fly experimental aircraft, they are recognized as the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing flight possible."

Karen - Condolence on the loss of Andy. My sweet Maine Coon, Phineas, is 20 and I'm seeing signs we'll have to tell him goodbye soon. When the time comes it's going to break my heart.

Michele - Thank you for the book recommendation! I think I have "Dewey: The Small Town Cat" on my wish list but you have reminded me to see if our library has it!

Rebecca - I laughed at the "hips, thighs, and rear" sign but I sure hope that's not how my holiday will end up!

Beth and Rori - My heart goes out to you both and I admire the strength you must have to make those tough decisions. It seems to me that by arranging for your loved ones to have professional help, you give yourself the energy you need to make sure more of your time with them is quality time.

Allie - I am so sorry to hear about Chester. He was a lucky boy to have you.

Lisa - The coffee cup is hilarious! But I can see how now might not be the time for that kind of humor!

Barbie - Hurray for good news from your husband's oncologist!

Kim - That is a beautiful tree skirt. The colors are so vibrant against the white background.

Machka - Congratulations on having your son and his fiance nearby! What a wonderful Christmas gift.

Skimming, skimming, skimming so many pages today. My nephew and I had a wonderful weekend getting the river house decorated as a surprise for the rest of the family. It looks wonderful and it makes me so happy to see it done the way my mother used to do it. Unfortunately, I woke up Sunday morning with a cold so all I could do was drive myself home and put myself to bed. Think I'm going to miss a workout today because I'm not sure I'm up to it... Philip went back to work and relapsed, and I don't want to do that!

Today is my lovely mother's birthday. She loved Christmas, so I try to celebrate having such a wonderful mom by finding the joy in the season and not letting little stuff get me down. I was all excited because I'm taking a full week off at Christmas, but between the family Christmas at the river, cooking for Christmas, and getting the garage packed up in preparation for demo and rebuild (we just accepted the bid yesterday), it feels like the week is going to slip away in a hurry. I'll have to be really mindful about making time to notice and cherish the moments of quiet in between activities. At least I only have one Christmas dinner to deal with - we're taking Philip's parents to a restaurant this weekend for an early Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas dinner, for once I got out of making the cornbread dressing this year and ended up with the green bean casserole instead. Hope they aren't too disappointed when they find out they're getting a healthy homemade version instead of the canned beans and mushroom soup variety! One niece can't have canola oil or dairy and my sister-in-law eats keto on the advice of her doctor, so family dinners are a challenge for the other meals that week. I don't worry it about it for the big meal because there's always enough food they'll be able to eat something.

Wishing you all joy this season, whatever you celebrate.

-Yvonne in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did a DVD for the bosu today. The plan for tomorrow is to do the 20-40-60 treadmill workout

Sharon near Seattle – what a transformation!

Allie – I must say, I don’t miss the days of having to be prepared in the car. I remember one thing I used to keep with me was applesauce. Stay safe! Update: So glad you made it safely

SuziQ – I always wondered…is the feast of the seven fishes seven different types of fish? I, too, try to keep “goodies” away. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t

I made these sausage cheese balls to take to a friend’s house that we were invited to. The only kind of biscuit mix I could find was gluten free. I don’t like the way they came out. Too “powdery” tasting. I’m going to be making some shortbread cookies for us so I may take them instead. Guess I'm just not used to gluten free flours.

Rummikub tonight!

Michele in NC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    we1m4uhh49wp.jpg
    First meal of my day.
    2 oz beef kielbasa
    A zucchini
    1 cup of wild rice/ microwaveable minute rice
    5 ice cubes of Turkey broth
    Turmeric
    Cayenne pepper
    Bowl of fresh spinach
    Sprinkling of mozzarella cheese

Just saute everything! I put a spoonful of sour cream under the soup because I like discovering it!💖
    💖Rebecca
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Heather - I'd never heard of bread sauce, googled it and nope not even by a different name. In my family there is white gravy, and brown gravy - Brown gravy is the meat drippings (with a majority of the fat poured off) and then a milk and flour mixture slowly stirred in warmed until thick and served. White gravy is the same thing but with chicken or turkey drippings which are a lighter color. But honestly gravy is not something I do much of and neither did my growing up family. The US is big enough that there will be different traditions based on region .

Kim
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well I just slept for 3 hours.. ugh.so no surgery for brother today he is going tomorrow for pre OP physical and to another eye dr in Hartford and supposedly surgery thursday.. all depends on insurance
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    A reminder ... Christmas food is fuel!! :grin:

lrm13h123fpq.png

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Lol Athenas driving already it looks like.

New Texas driving laws in effect can get license taken away easier https://www.texastribune.org/2019/08/20/Texas-driver-responsibility-program-repeal-what-that-means-explained/

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Lanette there is snow. Not enough to put a dent in driving. I twill get cold( below zero) overnight and then it will warm up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Carol - Yes it is! It cracks more or less as it rolls. It is filled with whipped cream. I did pull the edges a bit more together before I froze it. It is chocolate meringue with no flour. It does have egg yolks. Supposed to look like a log. :D
    When I serve it I will dust with icing sugar and top with my bamboo and wood decorations, bought especially for my anti plastic DDIL.
    I think tomorrow I will tackle the bread sauce. Do you have that in the US? Might get the roast potatoes half done and in the freezer. I'm still debating about which stuffing to have with the turkey.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

No bread sauce, that I know of, in Canada or Australia either.

Traditional Christmas Foods - Canada & Australia version (from my experience)

Fruit - Canada = mandarin oranges, Australia = cherries and a whole bunch of other fruit

Chocolates - special ones, not just ordinary chocolate bars

Mixed nuts - sometimes they'll still be in the shells and the family will sit around the fire or watching TV cracking open walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, hazelnuts etc. Sometimes they'll be shelled.

Mince tarts

Fruit cake

Shortbreads

Mint Nanaimo bars - this is a Canadian thing.

And usually a bunch of different types of squares and cakes often served at parties.

Pavlova - this is more of an Australian thing, although NZ will argue that pavlova is theirs. :grin:

Special cheeses & crackers - my family usually had this on Christmas Eve after the Christmas Eve service and before opening presents. We opened presents on Christmas Eve

Christmas dinner - here in Australia, you'll usually get a seafood dish, but not in Canada, and since I'm not fond of seafood, it's not part of my Christmas dinner. Occasionally you'll get a ham as a side meat dish. Turkey is usually the main meat dish. Then there will be potatoes, several veggies, stuffing, and a couple different salads.

Christmas dinner dessert will be pavlova and/or trifle and/or the Christmas pudding.

I think that's about it!

Which reminds me, I need to buy some more shortbread and will likely make a pav this coming weekend. I might need some fruit for that. :grin:

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💤😴
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

no gym workout today, went to work early
    BRAND NEW WAHOO STRAP - NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!! already???!!!

bike ride hm 2 gym, windy- 7.45min, 12.3amph, 1.59mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 68c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 4.59min, 17.8amph, 1.47mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.44min, 12.4amph, 3.04mi= didn't record est. 150c
    apple watch- 106c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.26min, 5.31min mi, 9.54min mi, .55mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 61c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.31min, 10.02min mi, .45mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 65c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 14.30min, 10.6amph, 2.56= didn't record 200c est
    apple watch- 128c

total cal 604
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Dont ever take a late afternoon nap because you'll be up all night..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Machka: I love your mince pie calories counter. :laugh:

Margaret: Stay warm and safe indoors while the temperatures are below zero. BRRR! :star:

Sue: I’m sorry you have to replace your roof. I hope it goes well. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am delighted to hear you are knitting. I am so impressed that you have knitted caps for newborns at the hospital. This is the season when I’m happy to be knitting, but I don’t have a project going right now. My last round of knitting was making baby blankets for my grandchildren over the past few years and my grand-niece’s baby last year. My adult kids have completed their families, and I don’t have any recipient’s in mind at the moment. I made a few hats for grandchildren in the past, but I don't think they were used very often. :ohwell:

Yoga tomorrow! Yay! Our schedule has improved greatly. We’ll have yoga at 10 am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week. I love having a predictable routine. This schedule is easy and I will be able to go regularly. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon