WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,317 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Page 43, slowly working my way through.

Kim: Beautiful embroidery. I'm sure your mom will love it.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    (((Allie))) May protective angels accompany you & your brother today.

Machka I really enjoyed perusing that interesting menu. What did you choose?
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Another busy day, but really plowing forward on getting things done. I think I might be done with client embroidery before the weekend. That would be outstanding! It looks like I might be hosting a Christmas Eve supper, my families tradition when I was small was a basic green salad, sourdough bread and cracked crab, simple -no cooking and few dishes. Then we would have vanilla ice cream and Christmas cookies for dessert. The cookies are all made for gifts, so this was the first time you were allowed to touch the cookies that made it a huge treat. A gal friend will be alone on Christmas Eve and thought it would be fun if “we” hosted, she’ll pay for ½ the expenses, it will be at my house and she’ll invite her friends – which seems strange, but she is my only single girl friend (our age range) and this is to be a singles Christmas eve, and I know no one to invite. So while my first reaction was not good, I’m over that and am embracing the idea.

Not holding my breath on this however as I know it could all not work out at all.

Everyone thanks for the nice comments on the tree skirt, I appreciate it.

Kim from N. California

Hi Kim.
    Your work is beautiful and I agree with many here - the tree skirt would be a beautiful body skirt.

Our lives must be running somewhat parallel to each other. Last year for Thanksgiving I felt like cooking and since I do not have many local friends I asked my friend Mark to bring his "singles". I had met one of his friends prior to TD but the rest were all new to me. I wasn't nervous because no one had any expectations (how could they - they never met me). It was a great mix of people and we all had a wonderful time.

Charlie and I would open presents and a 7-fishes meal on Christmas Eve. One day I will start that tradition back up, but it is a lot of work for one. I will make a little fishes feast for myself. Maybe a stuffed filet of sole. I am still working on the menu. :)

Your meal sounds lovely and I am sure you will enjoy having a full house.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Definitely not going to a restaurant with you, Machka! :laugh: <3

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather,
    Your reply made me laugh. You would love going to a restaurant with me. In this modern age most restaurants have a menu online. If a place is new to me I check the menu out and usually have an idea of what I would like to order. :smile: The only thing I need to know are the "specials".
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Sharon - what a transformation! You have a beautiful smile.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kim - Glad you flipped your script on hosting your singles night... friends can be pushy, but they do mean well. :)

Sharon - You look beautiful, and very at home in your own skin. So pleased for you! It's not an easy journey to make.

Machka - I KNEW I'd never heard you refer to a son, but thought I was going crazy for a minute. Thanks for explaining. :blush: I'm glad you'll have family that loves you and your husband near you again, you could use the moral and emotional support. Have they seen your DH since the accident?

Machka part deux - I seldom go places where they have to have a glossary on the menu, which probably shows I need to be more adventurous! :smiley: I'm also curious what you chose?

Heather - you wouldn't like going out with me, either, but I will say that, to make people I'm with refrain from being impatient, once the waiter's there to take the order, I just ask to be last, and make my choice by the time he gets to me.

Karen - Truly unreliable people don't bother themselves when they cannot be two places at one time. You're probably the LEAST unreliable person I've known, and take so much on yourself. I hope your daughter-in-law understands, and I have a feeling she will.

Here I am dinking around with y'all, and I need to be on the road in a half hour to make my 9 a.m. meeting in Little Rock. I purely despise the dark, frigid mornings of winter if I actually have to get out in them... (watched "Frozen" once with my grandkids and said, "never again!" :wink: ) I do not like being cold. But, needs must, so off I go. Just a couple hours drive there, a few meetings, and a couple hours back.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Nice menu, Machka! I'm hoping it's brunch time because I'm going for the Smashed Avocado. I will also go for the Crispy Squid starter. :D I'm a seafood addict, which narrows things down a bit.
    I agree that it's often a good idea to have a look around at other people's choices. DH finds it embarrassing, but I often ask the diner what it is, especially abroad. "I'll have what she's having." :laugh: One thing I very often do is have two starters instead of a main course. On the cruise one night I had all three of the starters! No main, or dessert. Just stinky cheese.

Hoping for a run today. Need to get some supplies in for prep.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Definitely not going to a restaurant with you, Machka! :laugh: <3

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

This was the last place I went out to eat ... a couple weeks ago with some ladies from work ...
    https://www.botanicabar.com.au/food/

What would you choose?!? :grin:

That's what a lot of the menus around here are like. :grin:

Fortunately, the menu is short, and I was lucky with my choice this time!! :)

Machka in Oz
    (((Allie))) May protective angels accompany you & your brother today.

Machka I really enjoyed perusing that interesting menu. What did you choose?

I chose:

Southern fried cauliflower burger, traditional ranch sauce, spicy aoili, pickled cabbage (V)

I recognised everything in that entry, and it sounded good. It was! :)

It was also a good size (not too big, not too small). Most things on that menu were tiny!!

Two ordered the Crispy squid, spicy lime-seasoning, yuzu aioli, radish (GF), and it was just 6 tiny pieces of squid, barely a snack.

A lot of the cafes around here have ... interesting ... menus. If I know where we're going, I read the menu in advance. If not, I'm left guessing.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - I KNEW I'd never heard you refer to a son, but thought I was going crazy for a minute. Thanks for explaining. :blush: I'm glad you'll have family that loves you and your husband near you again, you could use the moral and emotional support. Have they seen your DH since the accident?

Machka part deux - I seldom go places where they have to have a glossary on the menu, which probably shows I need to be more adventurous! :smiley: I'm also curious what you chose?

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

My husband's son was supposed to get together with us 3 months before the accident (Christmas 2017). It would have been the first time I had met "my" son and the first time my husband would have seen his son in years ... a decade or more. But something happened and we weren't able to get together.

Then the accident ... and I contacted "my" son, and kept him informed about my husband (his father's) progress.

Last Christmas they were able to visit Tasmania and we finally arranged a dinner together. :) So yes, they've seen my husband since the accident and the visit went well. :)

Eating out here usually means that you're either going to get a pub meal, similar to what you might find in the UK, or something that needs a glossary ... with the occasional bakery thrown in. If it's just my husband and me for lunch, we tend to go to the bakeries to get a sandwich or pie (savoury pie) and a pastry or cake. But my work colleagues like to try the glossary places. We've been out to several of those over the years ... and I am getting better at ordering from them. I tend to go with the (V) items (vegetarian) as long as there is no mention of mushrooms.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa I know you meant coffee this morning (drinking around) have a safe and sound journey on roads today and then on to enjoy your time off.

Sharon you look so comfortable and happy and fit <3

Karen va you are an amazing help to your grands always. No guilt, no guilt, no guilt.

Kelly Hope your cold doesn’t turn into the crud.

I’ve got an unexpected snow day (doin’ the dance everybody) due to icy roads. A windfall opportunity for me to exercise on treadmill, declutter and clean. Rachel comes home later today but hoping the roads will be safe enough for her.

Stay cozy and safe everyone. NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, i too miss hearing from those three. I hope they’ll chime in soon. My friend was sorry she hadn’t time to touch base with you before she left. I got back to her too late. She had a wonderful time exploring a lot of Tasmania. She’s mostly an “off the beaten track” sort who loves to find the things locals know about. She’s in Brisbane now checking out the Flying Fox Sanctuary and “hospital” there. The Batzilla site. I’ve been delighted by it for some time.

Sharon Near Seattle

I'm glad to hear she had a good time. There are a lot of "off the beaten track" places around here!!

And you're looking good!

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Sharon you had me at your smile. Stunning!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

At a restaurant, I too am the type who will glance around at what others are eating, and sometimes ask them what it is. When I met my GF's at our favorite restaurant last week, I was shocked that our meals were delivered on plates half the normal size (salad plates), with the amount of food cut down as well. Price the same. When we left, a group of BIG guys took over our table. Bet they were surprised! We love this little place as the owner goes out of her way to prepare interesting, healthy and unique foods. Will find out what's going on next time I'm there. Maybe all the large plates got broken somehow! :o

Sharon, you look great and I agree, lovely dress! Here's my technique for freezing tomatoes & later cooking them:
    Wash them well in lukewarm water to get the dirt off. I cut out the stem end and also squeeze out the seeds as well as I can and any white pith that comes with it. I discovered that's what makes the sauce bitter. Then I put them into gallon plastic bags, kind of smooshing them down and double bagging them if they seem pretty juicy. A sturdy ziploc does a good job. Easy to tuck into corners or stack in the freezer. (No reason a person couldn't cut them into chunks too!)

When it comes time to cook them, I take them out of the freezer the night before and put into a bowl in the fridge. Then in the morning, into the dutch oven they go (no matter if still frosty, and there's no reason they can't go from freezer to pan directly), heat on low for maybe half an hour to start releasing juice then I turn it up and let them really start to simmer, stirring around from time to time. As the skins release, I fish them out with a fork and also any white chunks in there. Cook it down a little and voila, fresh tasting sauce and much easier than canning!

Janetr
    - the keto cereal (The Cereal School brand) I sometimes snack on is 100 calories per bag and 16 gm protein. Amber - what's the brand of keto cereal you are talking about?

SuziQ
    - what a cute avatar photo. Hope your Christmas dinner group comes through OK but if not, sounds like you have a good Plan B!

Kim - any idea how many of your GF's friends are expected? Perhaps they'll all chip in and bring something too. I'd be nervous over the whole thing, lol. Good for you flipping it - bet it will be fun.

Have a super Tuesday!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Ooooo
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Machka ~ Like Lisa, I was so confused when you mentioned "my" son. Glad you explained. :p

Kim ~ You are one talented lady...the Christmas skirt if beautiful. Your Christmas plans sound like fun. :)

Sharon ~ You look fantastic! Honestly, you look 20 yrs younger in your beautiful dress and lovely hair. <3

Allie ~ Have a safe trip today! Glad you have planned to take blankets and food (just in case). o:)

NY Karen ~ A snow day! Hoorah! Those were seldom known in Georgia! :)

SuziQ ~ Is the organizer a significant other? I don't understand. ;)

I bought the 8 yr old granddaughter 3 dresses on eBay and the third came today. Just crossing my fingers that they all fit and she doesn't have a growth spurt within the next few months. They are really cute!

Carol in GA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Back again.

Karen in VA
    - I don't think you are unreliable at all unless you are leaving your grandson in the lurch on a regular basis. Which you aren't. These things happen. Bet Grandpa or someone else will come through just fine. Hope your partner's surgery comes through just line. Does she (you, lol) have mobility figured out for while she's healing?

Allie - good thoughts your way driving your brother to surgery and back in a snowstorm! Sounds like you are well-prepared.

Barbara AHMOD -
    I had to laugh at the thought of Shadow helping your transplants. Little Rosie discovered she liked baby carrots when we got her a couple years ago and would help herself on a regular basis. Now I plant them in potting soil in oak half-barrels, out of sight.

And I totally agree, I'm much more productive when I have to get something done. For me, with retirement came procrastination, which doesn't feel good sometimes to those of us who were Type A at the workplace. B)

I'm now several days into 18:6 IF. I'm delaying my first meal to 11 am and cutting off food by 5 pm. And letting myself have some cookies and treats throughout the eating period. My cleaner dropped off a plate of treats a few days ago, everything is yummy and we're pacing ourselves, lol. Oddly, I don't crave that stuff after supper anymore, perhaps because I'm really full!

I read somewhere - Valter Longo's research on fasting perhaps - that folks over 60 or 65 shouldn't do anything more drastic than a 14 hour fast, so will be looking around today to see why that is.

Main thing is, I'm getting reacquainted with hunger pangs again. And delaying the reward, finding things to do to keep myself busy until I can hit the fridge, lol. Might tackle a drawer or two today, or the under the bed storage boxes. B)

RVRita - you popped into my head. Hope you are doing well and your DH isn't stressing you out too badly. Is the campground closed down during the winter season or are you busy like you were in the summer?

NYKaren - what a wonderful gift a snow-day is! Crossing fingers Rachel will make it home without trouble. What's she doing for a car these days - did her Honda get fixed?

Margaret - are you snowbound? I remember last winter your garbage truck couldn't get through.

Time to get the dogs up. DH still sleeping. <3

Lanette
    Chilly SW WA State where we are due for a few inches of rain by the end of the week. We need it!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌻☀️😁
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Lanette & Janet- My Cousin has me on Keto for the winter month since my Usual diets not working for Winter cold. I went in looking at Cereal with label Keto guess I choose the wrong area because it was such high calories! Haven’t been able to find low calorie ones this site has me on 1200cal . Finding out some Sugarfree have high calorie a shocker tho! Guess I shouldn’t be surprised since even things with the word diet to granola can be high or low!

Having ovary pain today y scar tissues hurting. Probably over did it yesterday I’m refraining from taking anything for it but so sore not going to get a 3rd surgery after being told my statistics are bad for success at this point... hurry up newer procedures! Before I’m so old I say screw it!

JR thinking of refried bean y little cheese quesadilla. Teddy Grahams. Well Dinner not sure yet (he still refuses meat ...just like his sister used to maybe she’ll turn him into a Pescatarian someday at least if not oh well as long as he’s growing not worried about it).
    For me thinking Chicken but with what no clues.
    Hubby depends on his mood he been eyeing the avocados 🥑 so probably them with toast. Who knows what else.

Another day another fight to save the Christmas 🎄 tree from JR.

Hubby decided we should avoid alcohol areas to crowds (same thing in this town) so Christmas tree in town will drive by y look at it the lights no getting out of the truck. Good idea No family members homes only ours less drama. Enjoy Daughter visit.

Amber Tx

Heard during the Navy game 4 morons flashed a now declared in 2017 as a White supremacy symbol with their hands so Navy/Army hunting them down to discipline. The reporter during a running race who some old fart slapped her young bottom gave it a squeeze is in jail now. Swear folks in every generation theirs always a trouble maker!