WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did a 10MS Carb Burner DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tracy Long’s Defined Lines DVD since we have to leave around 9:30 to take Jess to the airport.

Don’t think I’ll log today, but I’m going to try eating good things. Believe it or not, I felt so much better yesterday when I had a decent dinner, no junk.

Talk about purse snatchings: when we were in Europe a few years ago, Vince was convinced that I’d get pickpocketed because I’m so trusting. Guess who got pickpocketed? From then on I kept my pocketbook under my coat because I had the one credit card we could use. I remember being in the subway and I felt something behind me. Someone was trying to open my pocketbook!

In one sense I can’t wait for Jess to go back to Iowa since things will be back to normal (eating-wise). I suggested to Vince that if she’s here the 6th and after, why not bring in the blowmolds, Jess can help take the bricks out of them and get the bailing wire off the stakes. Then bring in the inflatables since they need to dry out in the garage. Vince said “let’s see how the weather is”. What the weather has to do with it is beyond me.

Carol – that’s the interesting thing, when my father was alive I think I probably took him for granted. Like I always thought he’d be here. Now that he’s dead for over 15 years, I think of him every day. I keep telling myself over and over a saying that I read in a book many years ago “the more they pull away (talking about kids) the more they come back”. I’ve really started to come to the acceptance that I’ll only get to see my grandchild a few times out of the year and only when I go up there. I’ll hurt, but I guess that’s the best thing that can be done. Who knows what the future will hold? Jess is going to take the dd picture I made for Maria. But I did also make a Christmas ornament so I’ll give her that in a card. Actually, I’ll probably give it to Pete to give to her.

Got these Bluetooth headphones for my tablet and phone. Right now Vince is in the process of transferring all my music (and I’d like my spinning downloadables and audiobooks) to my phone so I can listen to them while I’m exercising. My new tablet really only can use Bluetooth headphones which is why I now have to go that route

I think M is the energizer bunny x2

Made hard boiled eggs in my IP. I’d heard on the internet that they’re easier to peel so I had to find out for myself. They ARE!!!! Also bought a cookbook for the IP. It seems to have some basic recipes. Like this one has the recipe for yogurt, none of the other cookbooks they had had that.

KJ – would you believe that we didn’t even know that we had that carousel inflatable? It was in a box that we just now (after 12 years) opened. Imagine our surprise! There was a problem in that one of the zippers wouldn’t zip closed so what I did was stitch it by hand just to make sure both sides were joined. Then I used the sewing machine. Talk about stitches close together. The bad thing is that it sticks up but that’s on top in the back, no one sees it anyway. So it all worked out in the end. Glad you enjoyed it. Vince made that “snowball fight”

We're going to have this chicken and grits casserole for dinner. If Vince ever knew there was cheese in it, he wouldn't eat it. So the reason it's the color it is is because of the butter that's in it. Really, there isn't that much butter. I remember going with his mother to an assisted living facility to see it. She had this chili and she asked me what the orange stuff on top was (cheddar cheese). I just told her I had no idea. She said "whatever it is, it tastes good". If she ever knew it was cheese she wouldn't have eaten it!

Ken & Lynette usually come over on NYEve. I’m thinking that I’ll make pork chops, have green beans (for the green), make rice in my IP, and an apple pie for dessert.

Colby left today. I gave him a bag of things to take home. Mainly leftovers, wanted to clean out my refrigerator for leftovers from NYE and then the 5th. Jess asked that she get some of the pierogi leftovers, so I’ll probably wind up giving them all to her.

Even Jess thinks that Lexi is losing her hearing. Lately, Vince has had to call her multiple times to come eat. Well, she’s not getting any younger. Lately she’s gotten to where she lays on me for the first part of the night and then lays on Vince for the rest of the night.

Absolutely agree: ((Lisa))): I “hate” snakes, too. My intellect knows that garter snakes eat bugs and are not dangerous--except they can cause a heart attack when unexpectedly seen moving. I agree with Debby in VA—your daughter should respect your feelings and leave the snake at home with a critter-sitter if needed. One time there was a black snake (supposedly harmless, but I wasn’t about to find out) by our detached garage. At the same time we had to take the belt off the mower deck. Well, one night Vince was guiding me to the car and I stepped on the belt. You should have heard me scream, I thought I’d stepped on the snake. One time there was a snake in our pool, he rubbed up against my hand. You have never in your life seen me get out of the pool so fast in all your life.

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,992 Member
    Ok so I had a blast and we are at Penn Station and will board the train for home.. Trudy asked if I wanted to go Machu Pichu ,.it would cost me about 1650.00 for flight and train ride it is a once in a lifetime trip.. what do you think ?
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,576 Member
    <3 Allie - if you have the $$ I'd say go for it. WOW! Machu Pichu! My only concern would be safety (is it with an organized tour group?) and of course getting the shots, if needed. If you decide to go, can I ride along in your pocket! Please????

Lisa
    - having been "mom" to a 6' boa constrictor, snakes don't bother me. I was very fearful of snakes as a kid and even finding a shed garter snake skin would send me into a tizzy. Then DH wanted one when we were first married, built a nice home for it and I grew to tolerate it quickly. Boas (which I'm guessing it is?) are fairly slow moving, unless going after mouse dinner. I'd say warn everyone that you'll be very peeved if they try to prank you and wish a pox of the worst kind on the culprit. Otherwise, it might be a good learning experience for you to become familiar with it. B)

OK ladies, we'll be in to the "Roaring 20's" in just a few days. I haven't settled on a word, but the phrase "Simple and Sustainable Strategy" keeps running through my brain, so I've been writing a plan which I'll post on the 1st. I was tickled to see this poster on Facebook today, it kind of sums it up:

oxrivo3umu48.jpg

Have a great evening!

Lanette
    Cool and rainy SW WA State
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,987 Member
    <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Peach - Love the dress! Your granddaughter is adorable!

Okie
  • ple79
    ple79 Posts: 6 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    p87xtze01is1.jpg

:) December can be a difficult month with shopping, eating, and family issues looming bigger than usual. It has helped me to navigate life's challenges with the help of supportive friends.

:) That's what this thread is about. The title says "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome.
    Some of us set goals or resolutions for the month and others just take life one day at time and try to build and reinforce good habits. Please join us on this journey.

:) Don't forget to bookmark the thread so you can find it again.

:) Please sign your post with a name or nickname and a general geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

My word for 2019 is "pause"

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

• ple79
    ple79 Posts: 6 Member
    I am real new. How do I post and reply to individuals? Pam MI
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,056 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    Found this about difference between active and total calories on Apple Watch and other activity trackers:

“If you're unsure of the difference, we've got answers. Simply put, active calories are those you burn while walking, climbing, jogging — whatever you do for exercise. Total calories include active calories and resting calories, which are those your body burns naturally, even when you're just lounging on the couch.”

RV Rita

I don't agree with that.. but that's just me
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    ple79 wrote: »

:)Pam, If you want to reply to someone, just put their name at the beginning of the line so they know you're talking to them.
    :) Barbie in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lisa Do you know what part of the house the snake is housed in? Can you find out so you can better gauge the situation? My older grandchildren have a Ball Python named Monty and he stays in his aquarium in the upstairs loft when I am there. I did handle him once to take the fun out of Grammy's lack of enthusiasm for snakes. Everyone lost interest in my aversion to Monty after that. I hope your family chooses the high road.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lisa Handling Monty wasn't as creepy as I thought it would be. He is kind of shy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,443 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Been busy getting my daycare year planned and also planning the Jan/Feb calendar and activities. I still need to plan my vacation time for the upcoming year. It doesn't look like my daughter and her family will be able to travel our way. They have started the Dave Ramsay financial program. So, they are nose to the grindstone putting any "extra" $$ towards getting out of debt. Along with home and car debt, they are both trying to pay off student loans. Plus, hospital bills for Miguel's birth are starting to roll in! Yikes!

The township board meets mid January. My zoning request is still on the docket, so as soon as that is voted on I can get busy hiring an extra staff member and getting all of her training/requirements out of the way.

I feel like I have so much in my head that needs to be done, that I am just inches away from moving to a frozen "stasis" type place. Where it is overwhelming and I can't take the next step because I am anxious about all of the steps that come after. Maybe I need to write it all down in the order that they need to be done and just focus on the "first" step. Maybe write them on a stack of post-its so I am only looking at ONE at a time?

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Yes ... write everything down. :)

I will occasionally sit down and write whatever comes into my head that I need to do, in whatever order it comes to me. Then I'll check calendars etc. for what I might have missed.

And finally I type the list up in the correct order into my calendar on my computer.

I have individual items in the calendar (especially appointments and deadlines), but I have one calendar entry that is my list. And I focus on the top of that list.

Whenever something new comes along, I add it to the calendar and to the list.

I have to trust my calendar and that list because I have so much on that if I were left to my own devices, I'd forget everything!!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I feel like I have so much in my head that needs to be done, that I am just inches away from moving to a frozen "stasis" type place. Where it is overwhelming and I can't take the next step because I am anxious about all of the steps that come after. Maybe I need to write it all down in the order that they need to be done and just focus on the "first" step. Maybe write them on a stack of post-its so I am only looking at ONE at a time? KJ (Kelly)

Kelly, it does help me a lot when I can time-stack my to-do list, but not if I nail it to a specific time. So I split them into "In Progress," "On Deck" and just general "To-Do" that don't necessarily have a time-tick, like so:

p9j8ccw5w2a8.png

That particular program is Microsoft Planner, which comes with a lot of Microsoft Office packages, but is missing in quite a few others, so you might or might not have it. :) But it would be easily recreatable with a stack of post-its or a bulletin board that you could divide into three and line post-its up under. I seldom have more than one or two in the "in-progress," and as I complete one, I pull the next "On Deck" piece into that. So I'm really only feeling the pressure of one or two. It's been quite helpful.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR

I do something very much like that with my work projects using MS OneNote. I might have to look to see if we've got access to MS Planner at work.

Thanks!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    To distract y'all from pondering Michelle and Rebecca's kid conundrums, I've got a new one for y'all.

First, to the story behind the question - my daughter is pregnant, due for a C-section Jan. 6, and after a scare a couple weeks ago with early labor, may actually make it that long. She has two kids, nearly 5 and nearly 9 years old. And a husband who is both utterly fearless (paratrooper) and also thinks he's funny. She lives six and a half hours away.

The husband bought their 9-year-old son a quite-large snake for Christmas. One which my daughter just sent me a picture of feeding on a live mouse. I will not post this for you (you're welcome). I hate snakes. It doesn't QUITE rise to the level of phobia, but I really hate being around snakes. I grew up in East Texas, with coral snakes, water moccasins, diamondback rattlers and copperheads infesting the area, and have great reflexes where snakes are concerned - I can be 10 feet away in one step. Kind of "watch the fat lady levitate" trick, works really well, and honestly, I'm OK with it. Once again, I live in country with the same snakes I grew up with, and I LIKE my reflexes to be sharp.

I've already told my daughter this, and her answer was "You'll be fine." She, her husband, son, and daughter love the snake, and the dad as well as both kids, having been taught by dear old dad, are inevitably going to drop that snake in my lap because THEY think it's funny. In the mindset of practical jokers everywhere, they do not care what happens next, as long as THEY think it's funny.

Someone or something will not survive that encounter.

I never thought practical jokes were funny, they are almost invariably cruel, and funny only to the jokers, not the victims. This is also part of our daughter's lack of respect for others - she totally ignored my husband's request that she NOT bring the dogs to our house when they came through. Completely traumatized our cat, without caring whether or not they did so, because they wanted the dogs with them. She will also totally ignore my need to not be around that snake.

I'm not going to badger a pregnant woman about housing that snake elsewhere while I'm there. So what the heck am I supposed to do?

'Tis a conundrum. Advice?

Lisa in AR

Can you stay in a hotel/B&B/campground etc. nearby?
  • Machka9
    Machka one of the clues was how she talked about the accident. She has little memory but she said a couple of times she was hit in the head with the GPS. I think what happened is the GPS in her Apple watch is what helped save her. In trying to tell me about it that is how it came out. There were a couple other things she said like this. That is how I knew she did suffer brain injury. She is getting all kinds of therapy that insurance will soon run out. She has been given many techniques she can continue. Her best therapy is her grand kids and she was a teacher and is an avid reader. Her reading was affected but she is still able to read. She also knits. She has a loving supportive husband. I know he was listening to our conversation which was fine with me. He was there in case talking to me was too overwhelming.

I was just happy to hear her voice and I referred to him a couple times in the converstaion and said how glad he was there for her and how difficult this was for him too.

The caregiver often gets overlooked because so much focus and energy is spent on the one who is hurt. As it should be. I am just saying the caregiver needs support too so they can do their best for there loved one.

I will often ask someone who is in crisis what are you doing for you. It is not selfish to give yourself a break that you know is right for you.

Husband got a fortune cookie that read ..."If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

Now I tease him if he says anything critical. Where is the love where did it go???...

:heart: Margaret

:heart:

• Machka9
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ple79 wrote: »

:)Pam, If you want to reply to someone, just put their name at the beginning of the line so they know you're talking to them.
    :) Barbie in NW WA

You can also use @ple79 to give the person a notification ...

Or click quote to include what they've said. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,056 Member
    --