January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary I forgot you were in NZ and thought you were in Australia when I saw that picture. That does attest to the scale of the fires. Thanks for the geography lesson. That is one subject at which I am horrible. If Final Jeopardy is geography, I virtually bet $0! :wink:

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Welcome @amehh91 and congratulations on the new family!!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    1/1 – 3.17 miles
    1/2 – 5.03 miles
    1/4 – 10.01 miles
    1/5 – 6.56 miles (trail)
    1/6 – 4.14 miles
    28.88 miles/100 miles

Busy weekend and I’m feeling it today. The only thing that got me out of bed this morning was knowing that I have nothing planned for this evening. I may be in bed by 6:00 pm!

@quilteryoyo – Great run! Trust the Garmin!

@Orphia – Big hugs to you and all those suffering from the fires.

Welcome to all the newcomers to this challenge!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Ok. My childhood was *kitten* too. Alcoholic Mother took up with a pedophile, he liked my little brother. How was i the only one that saw that? Or was it ok with her? Anyway, HUGS girl, thats brutal. The past sucks, here's to the future. [/quote]

@Elise4270 YES! HERE IS TO THE FUTURE!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS LOOK WHAT HAPPENED

Yesterday I was taking out the trash and my dog followed me out and was going CRAZY at the neighbors. I felt awful and went to call her off right as my neighbor was helping this GIANT, FLUFFY dog out of her SUV. She works at a pet hospital and said he was running on the road near there and walked in and went right to the treat section. She posted ads all over the internet but nobody has come for him yet. She said she has three dogs and two cats already and I said, let me go get my daughter - she LOVES animals and she's been very anxious. At this point, the neighbor suggested the giant beast fluff stay at my house for the night. I said "Sure! Anything to burst Madison's autistic/anxiety bubble and bring her back down to earth!"

Needless to say: It worked!

nt1ejse4pbhm.jpg

Now, STILL no one has put an ad up anywhere for their missing dog. Animal shelters have no new information. Nobody seems to be looking for him....... and he is SO mild mannered and polite and he will shake hands for a treat. And he smiles ALL THE TIME. And his eyes are golden. He's beautiful and perfect in every way. AND HE'S A MALAMUTE!

Here is what I was not expecting to see when I got out of the shower last night - I forgot he was there and when I got out, he scared me to death

kdfx6z9rr9i1.jpg

As of right now, the plan is to keep him. He's great and both my kids, Madison especially, are IN LOVE. Also he would make a fantastic running partner for long runs and my smaller fur baby can keep going with me on short runs. If anyone should ever come for him, I will of course surrender him back to his family, but in the meantime, I am elated to have the opportunity to care for him!

Madison looks like she adores her new friend.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Fantastic pace @quilteryoyo and I am sure there is more to come!

I feel humbled to be on this journey with you @LoveyChar and with @Camaramandy648 there are 3 of us marathon novices going for this together. Mine is April 19th. I couldn't run across the road when I started in July 2019. I completed C2K in October, ran my first 10k the same month and my first half marathon in the November and all at pretty much the same pace of 10:30-11:00 per mile. I am not special, I am determined.

From my journey so far the advice given is so right. When I started I was running at 12 minutes a mile, yesterday averaged 9:47 per mile for 10k. Admittedly today my thighs are telling me that was a little quick so extra stretches needed. I NEVER push myself for pace, never sprint finish, just do the miles and let my body go at whatever pace it says it can do.

I had one injury as I was an idiot and didn't do any warm up or stretches as I was short on time. Well that 15 minutes cost me 3 weeks out in December with shin splints and now I am well behind my training plan. I am doing RED January with some people at work. I am not totally convinced on skipping rest days but I am alternating shorter runs between mid and long runs where the rest days should be.

Really pleased to be sharing this journey with you :smiley:

@ TheMrWobbly and @LoveyChar I feel very fortunate to know you and be on this journey with both of you. We got this!

@ Avidkeo your question is completely valid - My answer, while the details differ, is similar to @ LoveyChar. But the question isn't really, "why are you doing this with only four months of training?" I'm not new to running. I started running in 2014 after a childhood filled with trauma that led to an adulthood filled with trauma. Loads of abuse, serious drug addiction, pulling myself out of the pit completely alone (before I realized I had a Creator that was deeply involved in every moment), being told I'll "never be..." that I "can't...." etc etc etc etc. My ex husband tried to drown me in a toilet. My very first childhood memory - I must have been two? - is of our house burning down and my mom, covered in blood and crying, telling me it would be okay. Her then-husband set the house on fire.

Those are only TWO examples of the various abuses and traumas. I am 34. I started recovering in 2012....

My point is that this marathon will pale in comparison to other things I have endured. You could give me a hundred mile race and it would pale in comparison to other kinds of pain and suffering I have endured and overcome.

To your point though - I began in 2014 and ran several races and was very consistent until my mother's death in 2016. I moved here and never really quit completely - I ran a half marathon in 2017, warrior dash, springfest 5K, the Color Run - lots of races since I've been here. I just haven't been consistently running. I've been working the marathon training since October though, so by the time race day hits, I'll have been training for this one purpose for six months.

I have never been so focused on running or fitness or nutrition in my life, and I have been loving it. Also the community on this forum is absolutely AMAZING!

You all are fantastic and I so so so LOVE learning from each of you. Thank you for your wisdom!

Ok. My childhood was *kitten* too. Alcoholic Mother took up with a pedophile, he liked my little brother. How was i the only one that saw that? Or was it ok with her? Anyway, HUGS girl, thats brutal. The past sucks, here's to the future.

Sent you a PM.
    Hugs!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    OH MY GOODNESS LOOK WHAT HAPPENED

Yesterday I was taking out the trash and my dog followed me out and was going CRAZY at the neighbors. I felt awful and went to call her off right as my neighbor was helping this GIANT, FLUFFY dog out of her SUV. She works at a pet hospital and said he was running on the road near there and walked in and went right to the treat section. She posted ads all over the internet but nobody has come for him yet. She said she has three dogs and two cats already and I said, let me go get my daughter - she LOVES animals and she's been very anxious. At this point, the neighbor suggested the giant beast fluff stay at my house for the night. I said "Sure! Anything to burst Madison's autistic/anxiety bubble and bring her back down to earth!"

Needless to say: It worked!

nt1ejse4pbhm.jpg

Now, STILL no one has put an ad up anywhere for their missing dog. Animal shelters have no new information. Nobody seems to be looking for him....... and he is SO mild mannered and polite and he will shake hands for a treat. And he smiles ALL THE TIME. And his eyes are golden. He's beautiful and perfect in every way. AND HE'S A MALAMUTE!

Here is what I was not expecting to see when I got out of the shower last night - I forgot he was there and when I got out, he scared me to death

kdfx6z9rr9i1.jpg

As of right now, the plan is to keep him. He's great and both my kids, Madison especially, are IN LOVE. Also he would make a fantastic running partner for long runs and my smaller fur baby can keep going with me on short runs. If anyone should ever come for him, I will of course surrender him back to his family, but in the meantime, I am elated to have the opportunity to care for him!

Madison looks like she adores her new friend.

Take the puppy to a vet. Many Many dogs these days have chips in their shoulders with ID on them. A vet can scan the puppy and see if it is registered.

Also, have a vet look at the puppy to determine any health issues you will need to deal with if you keep the furball
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hey monthly question?

How are the new goals going? Are you on track? Have you learned anything? Have you stuck to the new you goals? What amazing foods have you had this year? Best homemade dish you rock (and can I have the recipe)?