What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    epangili wrote: »
    I hate mayonnaise.

Ever since I made homemade mayo in home economics middle school class and found out what it's made of, I'm revolted at the thought of it.

Eggs, oil, an acid? Aren't those in lots of things? :flowerforyou:

Yeah -- oddly enough I had the opposite experience. Mayo itself seemed icky to me growing up, but once I realized what it was and made it, I was somewhat okay with it. I still don't buy it or intentionally include it on sandwiches, but I can deal with it on occasion and I've made it to use in chicken salads and enjoyed the dish that resulted. Also it's fine in deviled eggs.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    I hate chilies. I don't mind spicy food, I just don't like the "pure heat no flavour" trend that seems to be taking over. No, I don't want chocolate cake with chili in.
    I also hate ice cream/yoghurts with mix ins. I prefer my ice cream to be a smooth mouthful.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Nuts in brownies don't belong..gag!
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Ketchup makes me gag....if it is anywhere on a plate, I can’t eat anything on the plate.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Nothing belongs in brownies. Not frosting, not chocolate chips, nothing, Takes away from thier fudgey goodness.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I find pies to be extremely underwhelming, especially for the amount of calories they are. The crust is meh and the fillings (apple, pie, pumpkin, etc) don't do anything for me unless they're half whip cream. Give me cake or soft cookies instead.

Me too. I'd rather have cake, cookies, brownies, or some kind of quick bread.

I'd SO much rather have pie than any of those (although good cookies would be a close second). IMO, the best dessert is a good homemade pie (the trick is having a good crust) with an excellent fruit filling, not too sweet (I'm not into pumpkin that much, am picky about pecan, and would argue that NO good pies have whip cream anywhere near their filling, ugh, although on top is fine with something like pumpkin), and then ice cream on the hot pie. Best pies are (1) strawberry-rhubarb, and (2) apple. A really good key lime pie is something I will not turn down also.

Cake sucks by comparison and is over-rated in general, although some cakes are nice. I actually am a huge fan of olive oil cake and there's a lemon and lavender cupcake I've made that is delicious and not too sweet.

Quick breads are just okay, although I like a cinnamon coffee cake which I think is basically similar.

Brownies are lame, I'll put them in the donut category of rarely worth the calories, although they aren't as pointless and unpleasant as fudge.

Other desserts not mentioned can be good, including a good cannoli (but bad cannoli is very bad).

There are things I am forgetting, but I think there's a theme, which is that good desserts should not be too sweet, and the best desserts do not involve chocolate (although I love unsweetened brewing chocolate, have a weakness for chocolate covered nuts, and am fond of small portions of Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate (88%), or the occasional piece of chocolate more generally, so long as it is in small amounts).

Wow, we are the exact opposite. I don't get how you like desserts that aren't too sweet but you like pie. The filling on pies is way too sweet for me which is why I don't like it.

You realize you can control that by how you make the pie, right?

IMO, a well-made, delicious pie will not have a super sweet filling.
    I love pecans themselves, but pecan pie is literally just sugar goo with pecans on top of it in a pie crust.

There are a huge variety of ways to make a pecan pie (which is why I said I'm picky about them). Most are awful, but there are good ones.

I haven't made on in years, but my favorite trick was to substitute ~half of the corn syrup (in my grandmother's recipe) with molasses. It's still really, really sweet, so if that's not you thing you'd hate it, but the molasses gave it more depth of flavor. I also tend to overload it with pecans, so it's not just a single layer on top of a sugar goo.

Replace everything with sugar cane syrup. Makes for a deeper flavor, without going overly sweet. 'Problem is finding sugar cane syrup in the northern US. I Tried Sourghum this year. That was a very very rich pie. It needed ice cream or whipped cream to balance it out a bit.

• xojenbrassardxo
    xojenbrassardxo Posts: 38 Member
    I don't believe in categorizing foods as "good" or "bad" as it can imply moral value. I'm recovering from an eating disorder and since starting (and completing) treatment I have begun noticing how common this is.
  • missLEAS
    missLEAS Posts: 36 Member
    People who chew with their mouth open are the worst.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    I don't believe in categorizing foods as "good" or "bad" as it can imply moral value. I'm recovering from an eating disorder and since starting (and completing) treatment I have begun noticing how common this is.

Not categorizing foods as "good" or "bad" is actually a popular opinion with a lot of the regulars here :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    It's been awhile since I posted to this thread so I could be repeating myself here. But I constantly see a lot of people posting things like, "Since I started eating healthy, fast food makes me SO SICK" or "anything fried has me puking or in the restroom all day".

I guess I may just be a snowflake in this area but nope I don't have that problem...I eat pretty darn healthy for the past six and a half years but can still down some Taco Bell like a champ with zero issues. Spoonfuls of cake frosting, still delicious. No worries!

My husband feels similarly about reintroducing meat after not having beef, pork, or chicken for 17 years. No problems at all.

I find I only have trouble if I don't hydrate properly. Any illness I get from junk food is a "food hangover" from dehydration because of excessive salt intake.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's been awhile since I posted to this thread so I could be repeating myself here. But I constantly see a lot of people posting things like, "Since I started eating healthy, fast food makes me SO SICK" or "anything fried has me puking or in the restroom all day".

I guess I may just be a snowflake in this area but nope I don't have that problem...I eat pretty darn healthy for the past six and a half years but can still down some Taco Bell like a champ with zero issues. Spoonfuls of cake frosting, still delicious. No worries!

My husband feels similarly about reintroducing meat after not having beef, pork, or chicken for 17 years. No problems at all.

I don't have that problem, either. I don't mostly like fast food, and generally eat in a very veggie/fruit-heavy, very moderate fat, high fiber, mostly so-called "whole foods", vegetarian way (by taste preference not pseudo-religion ;) ).

But I have no difficulty with fast food, a full order of deep-fried whatever with the usual dip-ins, or whatever. It's fun and tasty to eat a big basket of deep-fried stuff occasionally, and there's no bad digestive result after.

I always tell people I have sturdy peasant genes, in terms of food and in other ways, so maybe that's what's at play here, too. :)

ETA: I do get some rumbles if I accidentally eat something with a fair bit of meat hiding in it, I admit. That's usually how I've figured out I ate something that secretly had a good bit of broth or something hiding under other flavors. It's not severe, though: Just a little shock rock'n'roll by the un-adapted beneficial gut bugs, or something. :lol:
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Krispy Kreme is overrated

Pork is disgusting
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    missLEAS wrote: »
    People who chew with their mouth open are the worst.

I'm with you on that! I have a friend that does it and it grosses me out. No amount of pleading will get him to stop. That is disGUSTing. Ick.
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    Ketchup is disgusting!!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Nothing belongs in brownies. Not frosting, not chocolate chips, nothing, Takes away from thier fudgey goodness.

I agree that nothing belongs in brownies (especially nuts), but chocolate chips are a MUST... pools of chocolate... with the gooey batter... perfect
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2020
    Things I’ll never eat.
    Spinach
    Nutella
    Halo top and all the similar.

Things I could do without forever if they stopped making them.
    Potato chips (all kinds of chips)
    French fries
    Pizza
    Chicken nuggets
    Pie crust
    Peanut butter
    Soda pop
    Flavored waters
    Power drinks
    Pop tarts
    Hot sauce
    Hummus
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited January 2020
    - I prefer raw vegetables over roasted or cooked
    - slow cooker recipes are gross
    - I don't like to meal prep because... leftovers...