January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Did a 1-4-4-1 run tonight. Was in the 30s F so that is almost a heatwave compared to recent days!

I'm curious about the 1-4-4-1 run. What do those #s mean? Glad the temps came up to freezing for ya, just don't take too many layers off!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    I finally come off call this morning! I haven’t added up all of my extra hours from the last week, but it is 20+, I’m sure. I get that time back to take off, and as badly as I want to take tomorrow off and sleep (and have a long run), I think I am going to save it for my vacation in a couple of weeks so I don’t have to use so much PDO.

My plan is to run get in 3-4 miles tonight. I am so tired, but I desperately need it.

Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Going back to the posts about Parkrun - I wish we had it here. I think it would be a fun and different. There aren’t any close to here at all.

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member

None here either. I look from time to time, but nothing. Sounds like people really enjoy them.
    They are currently expanding in the US so keep checking. Houston is adding a second location this weekend on the north side of town near The Woodlands. I believe they are also working on a third location within what our city refers to as the “inner loop”.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

They are currently expanding in the US so keep checking. Houston is adding a second location this weekend on the north side of town near The Woodlands. I believe they are also working on a third location within what our city refers to as the “inner loop”.

We do not have any within our state at all:
    3ms0o4zy6rmn.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Did a 1-4-4-1 run tonight. Was in the 30s F so that is almost a heatwave compared to recent days!

I'm curious about the 1-4-4-1 run. What do those #s mean? Glad the temps came up to freezing for ya, just don't take too many layers off!

Sorry. :) I do not know if it is "a normal workout" or a just one my coach uses all the time but it shows up a lot in my plan that she has for me.

1 Mile Warm up
    4 Miles Easy Pace
    4 Miles Half Marathon Goal Pace
    1 Mile Cooldown

i like this workout. maybe i'll add a version of it to my runs. i'll have to convince speed demon of this thing called an "easy pace"
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Sorry. :) I do not know if it is "a normal workout" or a just one my coach uses all the time but it shows up a lot in my plan that she has for me.

1 Mile Warm up
    4 Miles Easy Pace
    4 Miles Half Marathon Goal Pace
    1 Mile Cooldown

i like this workout. maybe i'll add a version of it to my runs. i'll have to convince speed demon of this thing called an "easy pace"

I like it too. Except my warmup pace is my easy pace. Maybe I should make it easier. Hmmm.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    edited January 2020
    @emmamcgarity - Congratulations on getting to run and the hamstring feeling better - YAY!!
    @PastorVincent - The only park run in CA is one in the Bay Area. None in So CA. I was thinking of maybe trying to help start one but have no idea where they could hold it. There is a big park - big enough to support many runners doing a 5k, but they charge $5/car to park there on the weekends. It would be perfect as it has a couple of big lakes, lots of shade and has paths along the river too. The paved trail I run could also work but I am not sure it could support a lot of runners all there together. There is some parking but not enough unless a local business near the trail entrance would allow us to use some of their parking too.

@pastorvincent, @polskagirl01 on the 1-4-4-1 WU. I use the ~mile from my house to the paved trail as my WU too. I start with a walk (let pup get all the sniffs and business out of the way) and add in running as I go. By the time we are at the trail I am running...

@noblsheep - I was wondering how you were doing with all the crazy epidemic stuff going on. Is it affecting where you are even being far from Wuhan? Hope the race isn't cancelled!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member

We do not have any within our state at all:
    3ms0o4zy6rmn.png

None in Spain either. I went down the 'suggest they start one' route on the website and was told "we have no intention of starting any there in the foreseeable future" :(