January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @quilteryoyo - awesome on the doctor visit. I am also glad they recognized that you are a runner and it is helping to keep you fit! My HR has always been low and running has dropped it even lower. My RHR is in the mid-30's and walking around is mid-40's. It kind of freaks me out sometimes when it gets really low but the cardiologist thinks it is just fine for now. I don't notice anything when it gets low either.

@Teresa502 - I ran a Hot Chocolate HM here a while ago and got a great jacket/sweatshirt. It was a fun race with lots of good chocolate after the race.
    @hamsterwheel6 - I am short and small too. I have an Osprey pack like this one in an XS/S. It isn't too heavy and fits perfectly.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @LoveyChar - if you take your phone when you run your husband can likely track you on your phone if you set it up. I have done that with mine for when we travel and I run in unknown places he could find me if need be. At home I run mostly the same route and there are typically quite a few people out on the trail if I needed help.

Thank you...I don't pay for internet/WiFi or whatever it is outside of the house. Thank you, though. I might get it, though...smart idea for running into the unknown.

You don't need wifi. If your phone has a gps your husband's phone or even PC can be set up to track it.

Oooohhhh good to know... thank you...I do have a GPS!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    I find the sloshing of a water bottle annoying as well, I think I'd rather have the camelpack so the weight sits evenly. Wouldn't there be less 'bounce' with a camelpack than a belt?

exercise.png
  • LoveyChar
    I find the sloshing of a water bottle annoying as well, I think I'd rather have the camelpack so the weight sits evenly. Wouldn't there be less 'bounce' with a camelpack than a belt?

exercise.png

The sloshing of a water bottle doesn't bother me as much as the chafing (Polskagirl mentioned) bothered me. I guess it's all a little annoying and you have to use what annoys you less 😏.
  • LoveyChar
    Been up since around 3 am, a little restless and I just want to get this over with. Back to bed I go and I'm sure I'll be back up soon ready to run!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member

exercise.png

I have a trail belt that holds two 500ml bottles in the back. I adore it, but it is cumbersome and looks kinda dumb. The only time sloshing in the bottles has bothered me with that was last summer when I had the bright idea of freezing my water bottles overnight. That was less of a slosh and more of a clunking as the water started to melt and the chunk of ice floating in the middle started hitting the sides of the bottles with every step.
    Next weekend's long run is long enough to warrant me taking the pack so I'll experiment again with the air sucking thing.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @LoveyChar - if you take your phone when you run your husband can likely track you on your phone if you set it up. I have done that with mine for when we travel and I run in unknown places he could find me if need be. At home I run mostly the same route and there are typically quite a few people out on the trail if I needed help.

Thank you...I don't pay for internet/WiFi or whatever it is outside of the house. Thank you, though. I might get it, though...smart idea for running into the unknown.

You don't need wifi. If your phone has a gps your husband's phone or even PC can be set up to track it.

Oooohhhh good to know... thank you...I do have a GPS!

You do need a "data plan" of some kind. The GPS is required to get your location but the data plan (internet access from your phone) is needed to send the GPS data up to a place where someone can see it.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    enaliba wrote: »
    1 /9-1.8 miles C25K wk1day1
    1/13-1.7 miles C25K wk1day1
    1/15-1.6 miles C25K wk1day2
    1/17-1.8 miles C25K wk1day3
    1/20-1.8 miles C25K wk2day1
    1/22-2.1 miles C25K wk2day2 1/24-1.8 miles C25K wk2day3...also ultimate frisbee and a hike. Overdid it. I am worried that my feet hurt and I might be developing plantar fasciitis 😬

1. Run an average of 1 mile per day (and walk many more than that) in January.
    exercise.png
    2. Loose 20 pounds in 2020.
    weight.png

March 14-CloudForestSchool 5K
    June 13-Helvetia 10K

Abi
    You are doing great. Don’t be afraid to take extra rest days during c25k. Right around week 3 is where I started to have hip and knee pain. What helped me was slowing down on the run segments, 2-3 rest days instead of 1, and replacing my old worn out shoes. If you haven’t been professionally fitted for running shoes at a running store, I highly recommend it.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I took the dog out for a trail run today and I got some cholla in my shoe. That was fun to pick out in the middle of a trail while doggo tried to eat everything green.

@RunsOnEspresso - this made me laugh! Hobbes will take every opportunity to eat green things! I have nicknamed him the red goat!

We say she uses the trail as her personal salad bar. Funny about the goat because we nicknamed ours Billy Goat because she LOVES rock scrambles! It's her favorite thing.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    @Camaramandy648 Way to go! You did it, how awesome is that! It really is a mental game at times. I’ve been meaning to look at the Hokas..actually due for a new pair so might try them out. I feel like I need more cushion, especially on long runs.

@shanaber Thanks for the link, I will check it out!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @hamsterwheel6 I’m thinking i might need more cushion too, except I’m nervous about that because I don’t want my feet to be so cushioned that they don’t have to get stronger or adapt. I want them to do what they are made to do and I fear too much cushioning will prevent that.

HOWEVER - more cushioning might help my knees and hips ..... And shins ......
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited January 2020
    @enaliba - just noticed the races you have coming up. Are you going to Costa Rica for the CloudForest School 5k or do you live there? Costa Rica is one of my favorite places!

@RunsOnEspresso - We had a judge at an agility trial comment once that 'he had never seen a dog eat so much salad during a run before'. Hobbes was grabbing mouthfuls of grass between each jump and at each obstacle. He had a perfect run but I was so embarrassed! We don't enter trials on grassso much anymore as a result. I look for trials that are on dirt if I can 😁

@Camaramandy648 - congratulations on that 16 miler! It is such a great feeling of satisfaction isn't it! I hope you can take your new shoes back still, or if the drop is the issue you might try wearing them for short runs only until your legs adjust, kind of like working into 0-drop shoes a little at a time.

@LoveyChar - hope you have a great long run! You've got this!!

ETA - finding the right amount of cushion can be tough. I decided a while back that I should have more cushioned shoes (I wear pretty minimal 0-drop) and started trying different brands and cushion levels. I went through so many pairs of shoes! Fortunately I could return most of them because ultimately they made me feel like I was running on heavy marshmallows and that made them feel wobbly and unstable. I ended up with Altra Escalante for a while but they wore out so fast. Now I am back to my pretty minimal favorites although I am looking at getting a somewhat cushioned version of the Topos.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    And also - in the RTY Facebook, people are really chatting up the Hokas. What do you all think?

Great job on your run!

As for the Hokas, I have never used them but remember that shoes are very individual and the popularity of a brand has no bearing at all on what you should wear. The best shoes are the ones that fit well and cause no pain. If you decide to try them, try running around the store in them first to see if you can get the feel of them.