January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent I’m glad you’re feeling better! I will have to look into Beat Saber ....

It is a lot of fun, and burns 6 to 8 calories a minute, a work out similar to playing tennis. I have no doubt my teenager will eventually pass me in it but right now my superior endurance training is carrying the day I think. :)
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @PastorVincent I’m glad you’re feeling better! I will have to look into Beat Saber ....

It is a lot of fun, and burns 6 to 8 calories a minute, a work out similar to playing tennis. I have no doubt my teenager will eventually pass me in it but right now my superior endurance training is carrying the day I think. :)

You are a fun parent. :)

You also remind me of me. When we were in Nashville for Thanksgiving, we went on a trail and I was sprinting / racing my kids and my sisters. “I AM THE MASTERRRRRR,” may have come bellowing out of my lungs :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @Camaramandy648 Way to go! Glad you had fun on the run, once you talked yourself into it.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,520 Member
    Hi @Camaramandy648 I visited my Dad, went for a run, came back with a bad back. I went out tired and dehydrated, brought on my own issues.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Also, it was warm and sunny and I ran in a tank top and got a suntan in January! All in all, I'm proud. I will sleep well tonight...

Well done!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @rheddmobile good job hanging in there even when you weren't feeling great. I love the shoe picture! As for the standings, anything can happen, but remember that all of your competitors also have to run those same challenging courses!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2020
    Biked to the track and ran 400x8 with 400 recovery jog in-between. I guess I've been using "cold" as an excuse to not do much cycling lately, but with more clothing (and a warmer jacket to put on for the ride home), it was actually fine. I've been daydreaming about road bikes lately, but just don't put in nearly enough miles to justify it at the moment. There is really nothing wrong with my trekking bike! Anyone else here do both running and cycling?

Frosty track :)
    we9954bg324m.jpg

January goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Feb. 1 - CityTrail 5k (#5 of 6)
    Feb. 8 - Lublin night 10k
    Mar. 1 - Bieg Tropem Wilczym 5889m race (in memory of underground soldiers 1944-1963)
    Mar. 7 - CityTrail 5k (#6 of 6)
    Mar. 27 - "Green Shoelaces" HM
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @rheddmobile Sounds like you went all out for the conditions and how you felt. Good for you. Sorry it wasn't as good as you had hoped. It's great that DH's ankle and your Achilles felt better. Fingers crossed for a series award.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Biked to the track and ran 400x8 with 400 recovery jog in-between. I guess I've been using "cold" as an excuse to not do much cycling lately, but with more clothing (and a warmer jacket to put on for the ride home), it was actually fine. I've been daydreaming about road bikes lately, but just don't put in nearly enough miles to justify it at the moment. There is really nothing wrong with my trekking bike! Anyone else here do both running and cycling?

Frosty track :)
    we9954bg324m.jpg

January goal 100 miles (stretch goal 200 km)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Feb. 1 - CityTrail 5k (#5 of 6)
    Feb. 8 - Lublin night 10k
    Mar. 1 - Bieg Tropem Wilczym 5889m race (in memory of underground soldiers 1944-1963)
    Mar. 7 - CityTrail 5k (#6 of 6)
    Mar. 27 - "Green Shoelaces" HM

I don't have a performance bike but I do have my daughter's regular road bike that never gets used anymore and I love the idea of riding it to the track. I will so be doing this...it's funny you mentioned bike, though. This weekend we cleaned out the garage and I cleaned up my stationery bike. I used to ride it before work every morning while watching TV. I think running/cycling is great because if you're going to drive to the track anyway, at least this way you're maximizing workout efforts by incorporating or replacing the car by biking.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,700 Member
    1/1 – 3.17 miles
    1/2 – 5.03 miles
    1/4 – 10.01 miles
    1/5 – 6.56 miles (trail)
    1/6 – 4.14 miles
    1/8 – 5.01 miles
    1/10 – 5.10 miles
    1/11 – 13.54 miles
    1/13 – 5.33 miles
    1/15 – 5.10 miles (track)
    1/17 – 4.38 miles
    1/19 – 11 miles
    1/21 – 1 mile
    1/22 – 5.01 miles
    1/23 – 5.01 miles
    1/25 – 6.21 miles
    1/26 – 5.00 miles
    1/27 – 4.17 miles
    104.78 miles/100 miles

I reached my monthly goal yesterday and earned my 100-mile badge for RTY. The rest of the month is just icing on the cake!

@LoveyChar – Congratulations on your 20 mile long run! I think that I can’t run a marathon or a 50K while I’m doing my long run but turns out I could and you will too! 4 ½ hours by yourself is a lot of time for those self-doubts to creep in. I commend you for hanging in there!

@Camarandy648 – Great job on your long run too! I’ve tried the Hoka’s a couple of times because I thought the extra cushioning would be good. Both times were failures. Nothing immediately noticeable but after a few wears I would get niggles and aches in my ankles and knees that I never had before. I think it’s because I tend to overpronate and with the thicker sole that means I overpronate more – just a guess on my part though. What size do you wear? I can ship you the last pair that I bought in December and you can try them!

@rheddmobile – sorry you were disappointed in your performance but glad your Achilles’ tendon and your husband’s ankle did well!

@polskagirl01 – I do some cycling also. Last year I invested in a hybrid bike that does pretty good on the road but I can also ride it on loose-gravel trails like the rails-to-trails paths. Certainly not made for mountain biking. It was a big chunk of change investment for me but I just took a deep breath and convinced myself that it would last me for several years. The cost also guilts me into getting out and riding it more often that I might normally have ridden.

@marisap2010 – Glad you have a vacation coming up. I seem to remember you being overwhelmed at work lately. Can’t wait to hear about Egypt!

Thanks everyone for the comments and likes on my Hot Chocolate 10k! It was a fun day!