P90X... starting a new thread...

Options

Replies

• MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    After a month of it, I already noticed a difference in my flexibility, so I know it's good for me to continue on with it. Sometimes, though, I dread the days that I have it!!! Maybe because it's my long workout, and I never seem to have enough time to do it without losing sleep-I go to bed around midnight or close to 1 a.m. on days that I have Yoga X. Oh well... If all you guys can stick with it, then I better push my hinny to do it, too!!!
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    After a month of it, I already noticed a difference in my flexibility, so I know it's good for me to continue on with it. Sometimes, though, I dread the days that I have it!!! Maybe because it's my long workout, and I never seem to have enough time to do it without losing sleep-I go to bed around midnight or close to 1 a.m. on days that I have Yoga X. Oh well... If all you guys can stick with it, then I better push my hinny to do it, too!!!

I know what you mean. I work from home after our girls are in bed, so I'm very sleep deprived. If I don't get up for yoga by 5:30am, then I run the risk of the girls waking up and completely destroying my yoga high. :smile:

Good for you for sticking with it! I've read that Tony says if he had to choose only one workout to do for the rest of his life, he would choose yoga because of all the benefits. Oh, and try not to look at the timer at the bottom of the screen. Concentrate on your breath and clear your mind. It's so hard to do, but it does help.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I will admit that Yoga is not my favorite! But the benefits are great! If you want a shorter yoga from Tony, he has One on One workouts and one of them is called Fountain of Youth. It is about 45 min of yoga that would be a great sub for when you can't fit in all 90 min of YogaX! Just a suggestion. :bigsmile:

I ran 7 miles this morning, and did Ab Ripper X tonight w/ my hubby and 10yo dd. :bigsmile: I think I mentioned this before, but we don't use the DVD, we have the moves memorized from doing it so many times. Now we are up to 30 of each move except for mason twists, and now we do 55 of them. :wink: When my hubby started he could hardly do 15 of most of the moves. Keep at it!
  • MissResa
    Options
    I'm with your hubby on the 15+ on each move... I'm able to do more on some, less on others. I know that's one of my weakest areas. I've never had any problem with strength training, and when I worked out I used to make sure that I did ab work, too. Nothing like ARX, though!!! It's a whole new ball game with this workout!!!
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    I'm excited and concerned at the same time about this program. Due to health reasons I am restricted to 55g of protein a day.
    I did legs/shoulders today and loved it. I'm plotting my plan but going to probably incorporate classic into my marathon training.
    Is the exercise too intense for 55g of protein a day? I do not have the option to up that. I was once following a sports nutritionists advice and neither of us realized I have a kidney disease. I was on 110g of protein and it increased the damage to my single kidney. So, as you can see uping the protein in not an option. I'm just curious if this program will be beneficial to me if I can't eat higher protein. Look forward to your responses.

I never got any feedback so thought I'd post again to see if I could get any insight. I started thinking at least by doing those I can probably maintain the muscle I have. Muscle loss is huge with this population that has this disease.

Maybe I'm intruding because this isn't a new thread. Please let me know if so. I do so enjoy others experinces that are doing p90x also.

Thursday legs/back + ran (my glutes and quads still hurt)
    Friday I did stretch
    Saturday kenpo + ran + a little cycling
    Sun will do shoulders & back + Abs + long bike ride (on the trainer, shucks bad weather:sad: )
  • sandy429
    Options
    I'm excited and concerned at the same time about this program. Due to health reasons I am restricted to 55g of protein a day.
    I did legs/shoulders today and loved it. I'm plotting my plan but going to probably incorporate classic into my marathon training.
    Is the exercise too intense for 55g of protein a day? I do not have the option to up that. I was once following a sports nutritionists advice and neither of us realized I have a kidney disease. I was on 110g of protein and it increased the damage to my single kidney. So, as you can see uping the protein in not an option. I'm just curious if this program will be beneficial to me if I can't eat higher protein. Look forward to your responses.

I never got any feedback so thought I'd post again to see if I could get any insight. I started thinking at least by doing those I can probably maintain the muscle I have. Muscle loss is huge with this population that has this disease.

Maybe I'm intruding because this isn't a new thread. Please let me know if so. I do so enjoy others experinces that are doing p90x also.

Friday I did stretch
    Sun will do shoulders & back + Abs + long bike ride (on the trainer, shucks bad weather:sad: )

Nope, not intruding at all! However, I don't have a concrete answer for you. I would say that you have to stick to the diet that works for your body. The nutrition guide is a guide, but it's not set in stone. I can't see how doing the program can do anything but help maintain the muscle you have. I would say that you should lift heavy in the 8-10 reps area.

And, you might check out the P90X message boards on the beachbody site. There are a lot of knowledgeable veterans answering questions over there. There's also a fitness advisor board where you can post questions like this as well.

I wish I could be of more help, and welcome!
  • MissResa
    Options
    There are a bunch of new people on this thread, and each and every one of them is welcome to be here!!! As for the protein question, I think it would probably be best to speak with your doctor about it... People on this thread or on BeachBody could give you advice, but it would be in your best interest to speak with the one person who actually knows about your specific kidney disease and what kind of limitations it would inccur... Everyone here would want to help, but in an indirect way we might actually hinder.

Welcome to the thread!!!:drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Friday I did stretch

Oh no, don't feel like you are intruding! I must have totally missed your question, sorry!!! Yes, I think P90X is still do-able if you can't do higher protein. I would go to the Phase 3 diet (60% carb/ 20% protein/ 20% fat) and see if that fits better into your Dr's guidelines. I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. What marathon are you training for?? I am training for the Indy mini marathon (13.1 miles) on May 2nd. It will be my 3rd half, and I also ran a full marathon 2 1/2 yrs ago. Let me know if you have any more questions, and anyone can feel free to send me a message if I miss a post here or there! :wink:
  • MissResa
    Options
    Jess... I know you said before that you didn't always start out the healthy, P90Xing, MACHINE that you are right now... But if it isn't too personal a question, how did you start out with running? I really want to start again, but I really wouldn't know where to begin. What was the biggest struggle when you started, and how much could you do in the beginning? How long did it take you to be able to run longer distances? Please only answer if you don't mind...:wink:
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    Sandy thanks for the advice and the welcome. I may pop over and check out the site.

I will continue to use the program minus the dietary guidelines. The funny thing about the profesionals is that they aren't accustomed to people exercising. They try to just get patients to walk. So its a learning curb with me as no one has answers for endurance athletes with kidney disease. So, I'll at the P90X for three months and see what my labs do. I'll have to learn to be my own investigator. The more I think about it the more I realize that I may not build muscle but maintaing what I have would be a good step.

Jess, I've done many 1/2 marathons. I usually walk them. I ran my first 10k last year and 1/2 or a 1/2 marathon. This month I'll be running a 1/2 and then a full marathon (body willing) in May the same weekend you'll be doing yours. Its the Avenue of the Giants in Northern California. 1/2 marathons are so much more manageable in the time training portion. I just want to get 1 marathon under my belt. Congratulations on your past sucesses.

MissResa, sent you a message about C25K training. Its how I started. Ease into it. Your body will thank you.
  • MissResa
    Options
    I'd definitely have to ease into it... I've sprained both of my ankles twice apiece, and start feeling it if I'm not careful... During Plyometrics, I switched my regular sneakers to the ones I wear while playing volleyball. I guess I should have known before starting that I needed something with really good support(duh) when doing something like Plyo.:blushing:
  • qatarsessions
    qatarsessions Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2 of the "Lean" program. I kept hearing how everyone was having so much fun with Plyo that I just couldn't wait. I subbed it in today instead of Cardio X.
    It was fun and I made it all the way to the end though I have to admit that some of my breaks where a bit longer than their breaks and I was sucking air. I have really strong legs so I didn't have any trouble with any of the moves except the high knee jumps. How do they get that high?

Anyway. I got 500 calories. Woo Hoo!!!!

On to Week 3.
    >

A shoe comment. I have taught fitness classes for about a million years. I'm 45.
    You should not use running shoes for the X workouts. For the weights it's okay.
    Running shoes are made to go forward and so many of the X moves go side to side. It's okay to have that mesh across the top of the shoes BUT make sure around the toe and down the inside and outside of the shoe there are leather supports. Most cross-trainers fit the bill.
  • sandy429
    Options
    I just finished week 2 of the "Lean" program. I kept hearing how everyone was having so much fun with Plyo that I just couldn't wait. I subbed it in today instead of Cardio X.
    It was fun and I made it all the way to the end though I have to admit that some of my breaks where a bit longer than their breaks and I was sucking air. I have really strong legs so I didn't have any trouble with any of the moves except the high knee jumps. How do they get that high?

Anyway. I got 500 calories. Woo Hoo!!!!

On to Week 3.
    >

A shoe comment. I have taught fitness classes for about a million years. I'm 45.
    You should not use running shoes for the X workouts. For the weights it's okay.
    Running shoes are made to go forward and so many of the X moves go side to side. It's okay to have that mesh across the top of the shoes BUT make sure around the toe and down the inside and outside of the shoe there are leather supports. Most cross-trainers fit the bill.

Plyo is fun, isn't it? I also burn about 500 calories with that one. :happy:

And, I totally agree about the shoes. I use Under Armour Proto Evades. They're great.
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    Hi i finally got a tv out in the garage and was able to start p90x yesterday WOW nothing like p90 but needless to say i love it and the recovery drink really helps because i should be sore as hell today and while i can feel the effects im still able to move my arms! anyway keep pushing play!
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    Day 4- Yoga X

This is a VERY long day. I did enjoy it because Yoga is relaxining and I have been wanting to try it for a while now. So it was good to try all the new routines and to stretch out after the first three days.

Day 5- Legs and back

VERY intense. My legs were on Fire ! It was really a good workout. I enjoyed how it was legs mixed the back workout. Maybe not to great of an idea to do this on Saturday since it was the night of the banquet but I did survive.

Day 6- Kempo X

This was another fun routie. I think I enjoyed it because of my Tae Kwon Do backround. I was sweating a lot after this one.

Day 7

Stretch X or Rest

I actually picked to rest on this one. I wanted to give my body a chance to recorver.
  • tracy24
    Options
    hey bull50 what belt are you? I also do tae kwon do, im a orange belt, i do the class about 4 nites a week and i really enjoy it.
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    hey bull50 what belt are you? I also do tae kwon do, im a orange belt, i do the class about 4 nites a week and i really enjoy it.

I am a second degree , almost third though :-)

I am an instructor here at a dojang where I live. I have been doing Tae Kwon Do since I was 4 years old. I got to red belt and stopped to play football, went back and stopped to play high school football then got really serious again, Been sticking with it ever since
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I am a second degree , almost third though :-)

I am an instructor here at a dojang where I live. I have been doing Tae Kwon Do since I was 4 years old. I got to red belt and stopped to play football, went back and stopped to play high school football then got really serious again, Been sticking with it ever since

my ds 7 is a level 1 black belt too. DH is a sr. red (testing for black at the end of april) DH is pretty excited about Kenpo.
  • tracy24
    Options
    thats awesome! im wanting to be instructor too but got a ways to go yet!
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I cant do some of the stretches either in YogaX. But I use the yoga blocks and the yoga strap (or you can use a towel), to help you reach and pull so you can get a better strectch.